View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: What would ESR think of Gentoo? Reply with quote

I just read this article on UI design on Eric S. Raymond's website. He talks about trying to configure CUPS, and the problems he ran into trying to do so.

The docs for installing Gentoo are pretty good. The forums are a very useful source of information. However, the problem with relying on these resources is that it fosters a Keep Running Things Until They Break And Then Look For A Solution method of maintaining your Gentoo setup. I know that's what I do. But for a number of basic packages, the existing documentation, well, just plain sucks. My most recent attempt at adding to my system involved trying to get an external keyboard to function correctly when plugged into my laptop. I read the XF86Config documentation like a good Gentoo user should. Here's a quote from the section on Input Devices that is intended to help me out:
Quote:
Option "CorePointer"
When this is set, the input device is installed as the core (primary) pointer device. There must be exactly one core pointer. If this option is not set here, or in the ServerLayout section, or from the -pointer command line option, then the first input device that is capable of being used as a core pointer will be selected as the core pointer. This option is implicitly set when the obsolete Pointer section is used.

Option "CoreKeyboard"
When this is set, the input device is to be installed as the core (primary) keyboard device. There must be exactly one core keyboard. If this option is not set here, in the ServerLayout section, or from the -keyboard command line option, then the first input device that is capable of being used as a core keyboard will be selected as the core keyboard. This option is implicitly set when the obsolete Keyboard section is used.

Option "AlwaysCore" "boolean"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "boolean"
Both of these options are equivalent, and when enabled cause the input device to always report core events. This can be used, for example, to allow an additional pointer device to generate core pointer events (like moving the cursor, etc).

Option "HistorySize" "number"
Sets the motion history size. Default: 0.

Option "SendDragEvents" "boolean"
???

I didn't put the ??? in the documentation. It was put in there by whoever wrote the documentation. Apparently the author has no ides what SendDragEvents does. In any case, this didn't help me in configuring my XF86Config to recognize two different keyboards.

I mean, really -- the Linux community should do better than this.
regeya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: What would ESR think of Gentoo? Reply with quote

wilburpan wrote:

FYI, you're talking about XFree, which is Not Linux.
IvanHoe
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps he should've said "the [open source] community should do better than this."
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: What would ESR think of Gentoo? Reply with quote

This isn't a problem localized solely to Gentoo, but rather to Xfree86. Note, his article was about CUPS, not about Red Hat's printing.

Each distribution may or may not have their own ways to set up certain services, but I think his point was that the people actually making this software should be more conscious of the end user.

wilburpan wrote:
I just read this article on UI design on Eric S. Raymond's website. He talks about trying to configure CUPS, and the problems he ran into trying to do so.

The docs for installing Gentoo are pretty good. The forums are a very useful source of information. However, the problem with relying on these resources is that it fosters a Keep Running Things Until They Break And Then Look For A Solution method of maintaining your Gentoo setup. I know that's what I do. But for a number of basic packages, the existing documentation, well, just plain sucks. My most recent attempt at adding to my system involved trying to get an external keyboard to function correctly when plugged into my laptop. I read the XF86Config documentation like a good Gentoo user should. Here's a quote from the section on Input Devices that is intended to help me out:
Quote:
Option "CorePointer"
When this is set, the input device is installed as the core (primary) pointer device. There must be exactly one core pointer. If this option is not set here, or in the ServerLayout section, or from the -pointer command line option, then the first input device that is capable of being used as a core pointer will be selected as the core pointer. This option is implicitly set when the obsolete Pointer section is used.

Option "CoreKeyboard"
When this is set, the input device is to be installed as the core (primary) keyboard device. There must be exactly one core keyboard. If this option is not set here, in the ServerLayout section, or from the -keyboard command line option, then the first input device that is capable of being used as a core keyboard will be selected as the core keyboard. This option is implicitly set when the obsolete Keyboard section is used.

Option "AlwaysCore" "boolean"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "boolean"
Both of these options are equivalent, and when enabled cause the input device to always report core events. This can be used, for example, to allow an additional pointer device to generate core pointer events (like moving the cursor, etc).

Option "HistorySize" "number"
Sets the motion history size. Default: 0.

Option "SendDragEvents" "boolean"
???

I didn't put the ??? in the documentation. It was put in there by whoever wrote the documentation. Apparently the author has no ides what SendDragEvents does. In any case, this didn't help me in configuring my XF86Config to recognize two different keyboards.

Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might have some good points in his article/rant, but that doesn't change the fact that ESR is an arrogant windbag who is all talk, and very little action.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:
He might have some good points in his article/rant, but that doesn't change the fact that ESR is an arrogant windbag who is all talk, and very little action.

indeed. ESR is flippant as people come.
Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. He crafted fetchmail, but he's actually made very few serious contributions to the community (compared to his bravado, that is).

I do like his adventure-like kernel configuration util, though. :D
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this in the Slashdot-discussion. ESR, the champion of usability, has given us UI's like this, this and this. The way I see it, ESR is in no position to whine about UI-mistakes some other havev made, when he himself is order of magnitude worse!
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:
Saw this in the Slashdot-discussion. ESR, the champion of usability, has given us UI's like this, this and this. The way I see it, ESR is in no position to whine about UI-mistakes some other havev made, when he himself is order of magnitude worse!

Perhaps that's his best effort. Remember also, ugly != unusable...
Having at least made an attempt on his part I think he has more of a right to bitch than most of the people using OSS.
Also, having read the article, he complains about the gnome cups printer setup dialogs that Fedora comes with, and not directly about cups itself.
Remeber that he has done quite a few things for the community (ever hear of a thing called Mozilla?); what have you given us? Makes one think, doesn't it?
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgt84 wrote:
Perhaps that's his best effort. Remember also, ugly != unusable

it's not just ugly, it's pretty unusable. Let's look at them:

"Configurator Novice controls". Huh? What the hell is that??? It has "Save", "Quit" and "help" at the TOP of the screen? What is it saving if I click "save"? there seems to be "OK" button for some of the settings, but most of them are missing it! the "add user" part doesn't have "add" button! the list goes on and on.... And that's just for three screenshots, and I'm no UI-expert!
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:
dgt84 wrote:
Perhaps that's his best effort. Remember also, ugly != unusable

it's not just ugly, it's pretty unusable. Let's look at them:

"Configurator Novice controls". Huh? What the hell is that??? It has "Save", "Quit" and "help" at the TOP of the screen? What is it saving if I click "save"? there seems to be "OK" button for some of the settings, but most of them are missing it! the "add user" part doesn't have "add" button! the list goes on and on.... And that's just for three screenshots, and I'm no UI-expert!

Well, I agree that in this case that little app is both ugly and unusable. I meant that ugle != unusable in a broader sense, not necessarily specific to that program.
I'm wondering how old it is as well....
I also think that ESR shouldn't be written off a maniac as so many do with RMS. Both have contributed, and both voice their opinions. I see nothing wrong with either, even if our points of view may collide.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgt84 wrote:

Remeber that he has done quite a few things for the community (ever hear of a thing called Mozilla?);

What does ESR have to do with Mozilla? His most used work is Fetchmail, which very few people use anymore (much more modern code in MUA's themselves).. other than that he's written a bunch of more experimental code that that probably aren't that far from design stage.

Instead of filing a bug report, the man writes a large rant. If you want to thank people who've done great work, thank people who don't portray themselves as elite hackers; the folks at Easy Software Products who made Cups would be a good start.
Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgt84 wrote:
I also think that ESR shouldn't be written off a maniac as so many do with RMS. Both have contributed, and both voice their opinions. I see nothing wrong with either, even if our points of view may collide.

HEY!

I don't think of RMS as a maniac, I see him as a highly idealistic man who'll never compromise his ideals. To me, RMS ranks higher than anyone else in the OSS/FSF coomunity. ESR's main contribution to the community is IMO his rants, which often state what many of us think, but are afraid to say.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completly agree with ESR!

I have said this over and over again that most software is ugly and lacking in the useability/ergonomics department and will continue to do so for years.

I think it is long overdue to get a discussuion on these issues. Programmers are not the right ones to make userinterfaces, they don't know jack crap about it and just throws together GUI's after their own itch without regards for a Joe User. If Linux is going to become a more viable desktop solution this needs to change and dramatically.

Erik
Pete_Keller
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athas wrote:
Indeed. He crafted fetchmail, but he's actually made very few serious contributions to the community (compared to his bravado, that is).

What is the URL to the adventure-like config util?

Pete
dweigert
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESR's primary contribution in the recent past was writing a little essay called "The Cathedral and the Bazzarr" . Just a little essay that, mind you , triggered Netscape into open-sourcing their proprietary code. Then others took up the idea... SGI with XFS, IBM with JFS, etc. His *Rants* triggered a software revolution that brings us here. Having met hime several times, yes he is abrasive, but his philosophies on Open Source are one of the things that bind us together as a community.

Dan
duff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:
What does ESR have to do with Mozilla?

He convinced Netscape Communications to release the source of Communicator to the OSS community. [link]
Glorandar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: attitude doesn't make one's opinions worthless Reply with quote

I can agree that ESR can be 1) pompous, 2) arrogant, and 3) a windbag.

However, IMO that doesn't make his points about open source software's UI design any less true.

Haven't we all experienced, at one time or another, the frustration he wrote about?
Athas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete_Keller wrote:
Athas wrote:

What is the URL to the adventure-like config util?

Pete

http://www.catb.org/~esr/cml2/

Here's a sample session:

Code:

Welcome to CML2 Adventure, version 1.6.1.
You are in a maze of twisty little Linux kernel options menus, all different.
The main room. A sign reads `Linux Kernel Configuration System'.
Passages lead off in all directions.

> n
The arch room. A sign reads `Processor type'.
A passage leads upwards.

Choose your processor architecture.
A brass lantern is here.
There is a row of buttons on the wall of this room. They read:
X86, ALPHA, SPARC32, SPARC64, MIPS32, MIPS64, PPC, M68K, ARM, SUPERH, IA64, PARISC, S390, S390X, CRIS
The button marked X86 is pressed.
> take lantern
Lantern: taken.
> look X86
Value of X86 is y.
This is Linux's home port. Linux was originally native to the Intel
386, and runs on all the later x86 processors including the Intel
486, 586, Pentiums, and various instruction-set-compatible chips by
AMD, Cyrix, and others.
> up
In main room.
> nearby
The archihacks room. A sign reads `Architecture-specific hardware hacks'.
The buses room. A sign reads `System buses and controller types'.
The pm room. A sign reads `Power management'.
The mtd room. A sign reads `Memory Technology Device (MTD) support'.
The x86 room. A sign reads `Intel and compatible 80x86 processor options'.
The policy room. A sign reads `Configuration policy options'.
The generic room. A sign reads `Architecture-independent feature selections'.
The block_devices room. A sign reads `Block devices'.

> go generic
A passage leads upwards.

There is an option named MODULES here.
There is an option named NET here.
There is an option named SYSVIPC here.
There is an option named BSD_PROCESS_ACCT here.
There is an option named SYSCTL here.
There is an option named BINFMT_AOUT here.
There is an option named BINFMT_MISC here.
There is an option named SMP here.
> take NET
NET: taken.
> take MODULES
Tristate symbols won't default to M.
MODULES: taken.
> up
In main room.
> nearby
The archihacks room. A sign reads `Architecture-specific hardware hacks'.
The pm room. A sign reads `Power management'.
The mtd room. A sign reads `Memory Technology Device (MTD) support'.
The x86 room. A sign reads `Intel and compatible 80x86 processor options'.
The policy room. A sign reads `Configuration policy options'.
The block_devices room. A sign reads `Block devices'.

> go buses
A passage leads upwards.

Specify the buses, disk controllers, and internal interconnection standards
that you want your kernel to support.
It is very dark. If you continue, you are likely to be eaten by a grue.
There is an option named EISA here.
There is an option named PCI here.
There is an option named PNP here.
There is an option named PARPORT here.
There is an option named HOTPLUG here.
There is an option named IDE here.
There is an option named SCSI here.
There is an option named USB here.
There is an option named I2O here.
There is an option named MTD here.
There is an option named WATCHDOG here.
> light lantern
The lantern radiates a mellow golden light.
> take PCI
PCI: taken.
> help
Welcome to the adventure configurator. For a command summary, type `commands'.
In general, a three-letter abbreviation of any command word is sufficient
to identify it to the parser.

This interface emulates the style of classic text adventure games such as
Colossal Cave Adventure and Zork. Configuration menus are rooms, and
configuration options are objects that can be taken and dropped (except
for choice/radiobutton symbols, which become buttons on various room walls).
Objects and rooms may silently appear and disappear as visibilities
change.

Have fun, and beware of the grues!

In main room.
> commands
look [target] -- look here or at target (direction or option).
nearby -- list nearby rooms (useful with go)
go -- go to a named menu (follow with the label).
inventory -- show which options you have picked up.
drop -- unset option.
take [module] -- set option, follow with option name.
press -- press a button (follow with the button name).
set -- set numeric or string; follow with symbol and value.
load -- read in a configuration (follow with the filename).
save -- save the configuration (follow with a filename).
xyzzy -- toggle suppression flag.
quit -- quit, discarding changes.
exit -- exit, saving the configuration.
You can move in compass directions n,e,w,s,ne,nw,se,sw or dn for down.
> quit

choco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons I switched from Mandrake 8.1 to Gentoo a couple years ago was because of frustration with doing things the insufficent-GUI way. I felt like I could get stuff done in Mandrake, but it seemed like I had to keep resorting to a command line. I figured that since I was resorting to a command line so much, why bother keeping the GUI around to slow down the system and take up space? So I moved to Gentoo.

I don't hate a GUI. In fact, I use xcdroast to burn CDs. But if a GUI to a program isn't a complete replacement for the command line interface (for instance, configuration options that don't even show up in the GUI), then I tend to use the command line/edit config files by hand. ESR experienced the same frustration, having to fall back on command line techniques.
Chineseyes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I take absolutely NOTHING esr says seriously. esr reminds me of those old men who like to talk to talk talk until your ear falls off and you forget what they were originally talking about. I sat down to read several of these blogs when I had first come to hear about the man and I was extremely disappointed that he was considered a leader in in the open source movement. I was expecting someone who wrote with eloquence and poise, someone who commanded respect. Instead I found he rants to the point where his message is lost a good portion of the time. Also outside of his comments on the open source movement I found very disturbing remarks that to most would be considered racist. I understand everyone has a right to their own opinions but for a so-called "leader" I would expect a bit more self-control. Despite all his achievements if esr is the type of person that the open source community would look to for direction I'd rather go elsewhere.
ponds
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESR is a nut.

He might have been a visionary in the past, but he is doing more harm than good now.
CorporalCarrot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many people here and on slashdot who are slagging ESR have actually gone and read his article from start to finish?? Anyone who has done so could not fault the article, despite what you might feel about his other beliefs. IMO it is an excellent, well structured article on the difficulties people have with GUI design and unlike many people who complain about things without offering any proof or suggestions for improvement he has actually gone to the trouble of documenting the difficulties in painstaking detail.

But to get back on topic and to the original question; what would he think of Gentoo?? I think he would have no problem with Gentoo for the following reason. Gentoo does not try to pretend it is anything other than an extremely difficult system to install and not for computer novices.

its GUI's that purport to make things easier but achieve the opposite that he is railing against.

C
airhead
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all the people who are bagging ESR, I think that he has done quite a lot for the F/OSS communities (It looks like he might have more code to add to his list - Java). How does what *you* have done for the community compare with ESR?

sapphirecat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: attitude doesn't make one's opinions worthless Reply with quote

Glorandar wrote:
Haven't we all experienced, at one time or another, the frustration he wrote about?

YES! Right now I can't get xdm/xlogin to pay attention to the "xlogin.Login.allowRootLogin" resource. Even if I replace ".Login." with "*". (And it's not somewhere that's preprocessed out.) I hate when the docs lie to my face....

Too much open source is black art. Especially X.
In XF86Config(5x), David Dawes wrote:
VIDEOADAPTOR SECTION
Nobody wants to say how this works. Maybe nobody knows ...

I remember spending plenty of time being angry about other poorly-documented packages, too. Like hotplug. What's the point of having hotplug if I have to screw around with USB device ID's somewhere in /etc to get it to recognize the device? Why can't the kernel tell something advertising itself as a printer on the USB bus is a USB printer and it should load the USB printer module?

*whew* End rant.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: