View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sm0ke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Problem with Evolution after re-emerge Reply with quote

Well, to start, I want to thank all of the developers, and this community, for the best version of linux I've ever used! I hate posting without trying to figure it out myself, so I have spent the last two days going over every thread I can find, and haven't had any luck. This is clearly the exception as every problem I've had since I've started using Gentoo about a month and a half ago has been answered in either documentation or a thread in these forums.

Anyway, I've had a problem with Evolution starting. When from a terminal, I get:

$ evolution
Illegal instruction

And that's all. I have tried "emerge -C evolution" followed by "emerge evolution", and nothing changes.

I am running kernel 2.6.3 with the "love" patches. Even so, I have tried unmerging, rebooting with 2.4.22 vanilla and emerging again, then rebooting into 2.6.3. Same problem.

------

I did have evolution working once. Worked perfectly. Then I moved the entire "evolution" directory from another machine, and placed in my primary user account directory. Evolution started fine, it showed all of the directories and filters from the other machine, and it showed the number of messages existing on the other install of evolution. However, none of the subject lines would display in evolution.

So I gave up on the effort, deleted the "evolution" directory again, and "emerge -C evolution". That was the beginning of my efforts to clean up this mess.

I have also tried "emerge libbonobo", but that added nothing.

----
My make.conf has the following:

USE="X gtk gtk2 gnome ssl -kde -qt"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-mcpu=athlon-xp =mfpmath=sse -msse2 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="$(CFLAGS)"
Ijon Tichy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does an strace (dev-util/strace) show anything more helpful than "illegal instruction"? Sometimes it helps to see how far the execution gets before the error appears.

With evolution it'll be pretty chatty, but still might help. You may need to do an strace -f, if the error comes from a child process of the main executable.

Might not help, but it's the next step I usually take when presented with a tremendously vague error message. :)
sm0ke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately or unfortunately, the problem has gone away.:?

I emerge -C evolution, gnome, gnome-session, libbonobo and gnomecontrolcenter2 and emerged them again. And the problem went away. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try your suggestion next time I get an obscure and short answer. And I'm confident there will be a next time.

While it might have been the long way around the barn, it was faster than it sounds.
:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: