View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Issues with network card [FIXED] Reply with quote

Bear with my n00biness...

Heres the story: I was attempting to get my Xfree server running a few weeks ago and could succesfully emerge the xfree86 package. However, now when I attempt to emerge ANYTHING (I initially was trying fluxbox), I get an error relating to "host not found". Tried emerge with tons of other stuff and no luck. I'm pretty sure it's a network card problem; I can't even ping.
At this point I'm near ready to reinstall, I've encountered so many recurring problems that it just feels like it's been a messy install, but if I can just get the stupid card to get working, I'll settle for that, install Fluxbox and shut my mouth.

When I try out /sbin/ifconfig, I get that annoying lo info... no eth0. I'm using a SMC network card (model SMC1211), and I made sure that my kernel supports it (using gentoo-sources). What strikes me most oddly is that it was woking about a month ago. Hmm. (also checked that the cable is good)

Any ideas?

Last edited by Falcus on Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcus,

Since eth0 is missing from /sbin/ifconfig the kerenl module is not getting loaded or is not being initalised.

Can you see the kernel module with /sbin/lsmod ?
Can you modprobe it?
Does eth0 appear in /sbin/ifconfig now?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Falcus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me preface by thanking you for helping an uneducated newbie...

When I run a /sbin/lsmod, nothing shows up - just

Code:
Module              Size     Used By     Not Tainted

that's it.

As for modprobe, I honestly know next to nothing about executing it :oops: . I hopped into a LiveCD and took a look at it's /lib/modules/(whatever the kernel version was)/kernel/drivers/net directory and found smc-ultra.o and smc9194.o, but I'm running a SMC Eznet. I tried copying those two files over from the CD to my box and tried modprobe, using those two files - nothing. What exactly do I need to do? I'm thinking I'll get a fuller readout when I run /sbin/lsmod if I can get modprobe to work, just if I can figure out exactly what to do.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick google tells me your SMC Eznet card uses a realtek chipset and the 8139too module.
druggo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#lspci
and find the netcard module name,try:
#insmod 8139too (if it's a 8139too)
or post your /etc/modules.conf
Falcus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright... let's see...

# lspci gives a command not found... hmm. :?

# insmod 8139too just gives a lot of "unresolved symbol" readouts.

And... I don't know how to get all that text from the modules.conf file to a post here on my windows machine. :roll: How?

And cryillic, thanks for the module... but I still don't know exactly how to use the modprobe. When I type:
Code:
# modprobe 8193too

I get
Code:
modprobe: Can't locate module 8193too

Any more help is greatly appreciated. =)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcus,

How did you configure and build your kernel?

If you used genkernel and it worked, should have a modules tree in /lib/modules/<kernel_version>

If you rolled your own, did you do the
Code:
make modules
and
Code:
make modules_install
steps ?

lspci is part of a package (pcitools or pci-utils ??) you dont have emerged yet.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Falcus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy

I've had module problems in the past and after recompiling the kernel they've vanished, so I assume I've been doing it right... hopefully. :lol:

The steps I usually take are to enter my LiveCD, then
Code:
mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

After I've chosen all I want to...

Code:
make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage

Then I exit the chroot, unmount and reboot. Does it all check out?

Many thanks....
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcus,

Thats OK provided you don't get any errors along the way AND that /usr/src/linux points the the kernel you want to build.

You must do the install steps as root.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Falcus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty...

I just ran through the menuconfig again, and found that the Realtek module was not compiled with the kernel... so I fixed that...
But, after everything was good and done and I booted up regularly again, if I type
Code:
modprobe 8139too

Nothing happens.

Also, in my /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r9 directory, I have a couple of files in there...
Code:
build         modules.generic_string   modules.parportmap    modules.usbmap
kernel        modules.ieee1394map      modules.pcimap        pcmia
modules.dep   modules.isapnpmap        modules.pnpbiosmap

nothing else, though. Think I should just run genkernel and settle for that?

Thanks

EDIT: Also, is there a good way to double-check that my link in /usr/src/linux is good? I'm pretty sure it is, but I wouldn't mind knowing for sure.
Peracles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcus wrote:
Alrighty...

I just ran through the menuconfig again, and found that the Realtek module was not compiled with the kernel... so I fixed that...
But, after everything was good and done and I booted up regularly again, if I type
Code:
modprobe 8139too

Nothing happens.

Also, in my /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r9 directory, I have a couple of files in there...
Code:
build         modules.generic_string   modules.parportmap    modules.usbmap
kernel        modules.ieee1394map      modules.pcimap        pcmia
modules.dep   modules.isapnpmap        modules.pnpbiosmap

nothing else, though. Think I should just run genkernel and settle for that?

Thanks

EDIT: Also, is there a good way to double-check that my link in /usr/src/linux is good? I'm pretty sure it is, but I wouldn't mind knowing for sure.

Use "ls -l /usr/src/linux" and u will see where it is pointed to.

Did u configure the kernel to build it as a modile [M] or into the kernel [Y]? If you built it into the kernel you should see some output using dmesg (look for realtek or eth0 comments).

If there are comments, and no errors run "ifconfig -a" to see if eth0 shows up. If it does, then you need to see about editing your /etc/conf.d/net file to have the right information for your network. You'll also need to make sure to add eth0 to the default run level using rc-update add net.eth0 default. These 2 steps are talked about in the installation manual and there are quite a few threads concerning these 2 steps.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcus,

/lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r9 is the top of the modules directorty tree.
When you modprobe something and nothing happens, that means modprobe worked.

Use
Code:
ls --color /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r9
The colours tell you the type of file - blue is a directory.

Go back to your modprobing and see what /sbin/ifconfig has to say. If eth0 is listed (it will not be configured) you are away.

Add your 8139too into /etc/modules.autoload, and next time you boot, you will have networking.

If yo don't want to reboot, do /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart. Provided your /etc/conf.d/net is OK, you'll have networking.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Falcus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the plot thickens...

Peracles: Thanks for the info, and yes, I configured the module into the kernel. After running dmesg, I can find these two lines buried a little way in:

Code:
eth0: SMC1211TX EZCard 10/100 (RealTek RTL8139) at 0xe080a000, 00:e0:29:6a:bc:78, IRQ 11
eth0:  Identified8139 chip type ‘RTL-8139B’

Neddy: Actually I might've mislead you, when I ran modprobe 8139too, it came up with something like

Code:
modprobe: Can't locate module 8139too

However, when I run /sbin/ifconfig, for some reason eth0 comes up with lo now. Just to check, I ran emerge fluxbox a few times (which didn't work and returned a few host not found errors) and it looks like eth0 is registering it, eth0 has about 90 RX packets. So the question is, what do I need to do now to be able to emerge, ping and the like?

Thanks
Peracles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcus wrote:
And the plot thickens...

Peracles: Thanks for the info, and yes, I configured the module into the kernel. After running dmesg, I can find these two lines buried a little way in:

Code:
eth0: SMC1211TX EZCard 10/100 (RealTek RTL8139) at 0xe080a000, 00:e0:29:6a:bc:78, IRQ 11
eth0:  Identified8139 chip type ‘RTL-8139B’

Neddy: Actually I might've mislead you, when I ran modprobe 8139too, it came up with something like

Code:
modprobe: Can't locate module 8139too

However, when I run /sbin/ifconfig, for some reason eth0 comes up with lo now. Just to check, I ran emerge fluxbox a few times (which didn't work and returned a few host not found errors) and it looks like eth0 is registering it, eth0 has about 90 RX packets. So the question is, what do I need to do now to be able to emerge, ping and the like?

Thanks

Looks like your drivers are taken care of....... now for the fun part!

Ok. First and foremost is to make sure your network configuration is correct. As neddy pointed out, make sure your /etc/conf.d/net file is set up correctly. If you are not using DHCP, you'll need to correctly set the iface_eth0 entry and the default gateway. If eth0 is not already added to your startup, you will need to "rc-update add net.eth0 default" to get that added. You can restart your eth0 by doing what neddy suggested. Check your eth0 configuration via ifconfig.

As far as host stuff, that means your /etc/resolve.conf file needs some entries in it. You'll need to add some DNS server entries if you are not running DHCP. Once that is done, you should be able to ping www.yahoo.com or whatnot. emerge should work from that point on.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcus,

You get that error with modprobe because you built 8139too into the kernel (bzImage) so its not a loadable module.

You need to edit /etc/conf.d/net to your taste.
Thats with static IP addresses if thats what you do, or to use DHCP.
Now restart networking as I've already posted.

Networking should 'just work'(tm)

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Falcus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... I think things are gonna clear up now, just a few more questions.
Also, I rebooted to check, and it loads on startup.

When I run ifconfig, eth0 shows up all nice 'n pretty, but lo is still there, is that a problem, or do I not even need to worry about it?

Also, I've tried many times so far to rsync (doesn't work), so if ya say I need some servers, where could I find a list? I've searched, haven't found much. When I emerge sync, it tries the same server over and over. Also where do I need to add them in my resolv.conf file, all it reads is
Code:
domain (my domain)
nameserver 4.2.2.65
nameserver 4.2.2.5
nameserver 4.2.2.6

I have also tried to emerge different things, ping, and wget, but not much works... so I think something's wrong in my /etc/conf.d/net file. Is there a generic file or script that'll help me configure it so that it'll work?

Hopefully I can get a workable net file and manage to rsync some stuff soon. Thanks to both of you for assisting a newbie...
Peracles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcus wrote:
Okay... I think things are gonna clear up now, just a few more questions.
Also, I rebooted to check, and it loads on startup.

When I run ifconfig, eth0 shows up all nice 'n pretty, but lo is still there, is that a problem, or do I not even need to worry about it?

Also, I've tried many times so far to rsync (doesn't work), so if ya say I need some servers, where could I find a list? I've searched, haven't found much. When I emerge sync, it tries the same server over and over. Also where do I need to add them in my resolv.conf file, all it reads is
Code:
domain (my domain)
nameserver 4.2.2.65
nameserver 4.2.2.5
nameserver 4.2.2.6

I have also tried to emerge different things, ping, and wget, but not much works... so I think something's wrong in my /etc/conf.d/net file. Is there a generic file or script that'll help me configure it so that it'll work?

Hopefully I can get a workable net file and manage to rsync some stuff soon. Thanks to both of you for assisting a newbie...

Ok. For now forget about emerge, rsync, wget, etc. You need to make sure the internet connection is good.
1) Ping your IP address - this tells us the interface is good.
2) Ping your gateway. This tells us you can reach someone else.
3) Ping www.yahoo.com. This tells us you can use DNS to get someone else's address.

Post your /etc/conf.d/net file if you continue to have problems and your IP setup (static or DHCP).

If you cannot ping yourself, your eth0 is still not set up right. If you cannot ping your gateway, you have a problem with your /etc/conf.d/net file. If you can do 1 and 2 but not 3, then you have DNS issues and we need to get some valid DNS entries in your /etc/resolv.conf.

Lo interface is your loopback interface. You need one of those. It is valid. Don't mess with it =) It has the 127.0.0.x addresses associated with it.

After you are able to ping all three cases. then you can fix the emerge, rsync, wget problem as follows:
The rsync, emerge, wget issues may be not having good rsync entries in your make.conf. They should be near the end of the file. The line will start with GENTOO_MIRRORS="". I used "mirrorselect -i" to get a list and selected the ones I wanted. You could probably use GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.mirrors.pair.com/ ftp://gentoo.mirrors.pair.com"
Falcus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie dokie:

I'm able to ping myself and the gateway, but not yahoo. I get an error like
Code:
ping: unknown host www.yahoo.com

So must be the DNS... said in classic newbie form,

What do I do next? =/

Thanks =)
Peracles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcus wrote:
Okie dokie:

I'm able to ping myself and the gateway, but not yahoo. I get an error like
Code:
ping: unknown host www.yahoo.com

So must be the DNS... said in classic newbie form,

What do I do next? =/

Thanks =)

If you are using DHCP, you should be getting valid DNS entries. If u are statically allocated an IP address, you have to manually set the domain name servers in your /etc/resolv.conf. Once this is done, you should be able to ping www.yahoo.com.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcus,

If you posted the real content of /etc/resolv.conf then your nameserver IP addresses are wrong.

Doing a whois and a ping on those IP numbers shows that the nameservers are at 4.2.49.2, 4.2.49.3 and 4.2.49.4.

If your IP address begins with 4. (and only if) put those numbers in your /etc/resolv.conf as three more nameservers.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
gamerwiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently set up networking for a couple peeps in a house who want to share their internet connection, and they couldn't get it running whatsoever - i found out that two things were wrong / missing:
1. the subnet mask was entered incorrectly
2. the addresses for resolf.conf weren't put in correctly

so you really need to check these things, same with the gateway address - about the dns server addresses, you should have 2 of them, maybe even 3 - simply enter in resolv.conf:

Code:

nameserver aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd #(replacing the letters with number)
nameserver eee.fff.ggg.hhh #(ip address of secondary DNS server - same for tertiary, if your provider has one)

you get the numbers from your internet provider, or someone else if you share the network with them

Falcus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update...

I'm behind a netgear router so I checked and everything like the subnet mask and all that jazz are entered correctly into /etc/conf.d/net. However, resolv.conf is still giving me trouble.

When I attempt to ping with the 4.2.2.65 type addresses, I get unknown host errors. I checked this machine (Win XP) and it's using my router as a DNS server apparently - 192.168.0.1. After entering that into resolv.conf, I get a different error - Network is unreachable. My service provider (Verizon) says (obviously for windows machines) to acquire DNS servers automatically, so I don't really know what to do there... I'd assume since the Netgear router is set to get DNS servers from the provider that it's address would accomplish the same thing if entered into resolv.conf. And Neddy, entering in those different adresses beginning with 4 gives the unknown host error.

My /etc/init.d/net file has dhcp enabled, so that seems to be alright...

Hmmmm... more help is requested. Thanks for any more help. =)
dleifelohcs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick scan and I didn't see this, you ARE starting eth0 on boot, right?

/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
ping google.com

rc-update add net.eth0 default
Falcus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, during bootup lo and eth0 are started, and running /etc/init.d/eth0 start and rc-update add net.eth0 default just says that it's already been done in both instances.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcus,

Please post the output of
Code:
/sbin/route -n
and
Code:
/sbin/ifconfig eth0

Since you have been editing /etc/resolv.conf, posting that would be good too.

Are you using DHCP on Gentoo?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: