does cat have a log? I hope it does
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluewater
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: does cat have a log? I hope it does Reply with quote

Hello everyone.
I just finished my first couple solo installs of gentoo this week and I'm trying to get a photo manager website working but I deleted the database I had set up :cry:

Thought it was backed up elsewhere, and I put a < where I should of put > and well, now I'm screwed because somehow I moved the backup before and forgot about it.

It was a dump file from postgres, which I had cat'd the output of earlier to check that all was ok. So the output was streamed through the konsole, and now my beloved file with journals and such can be seen if I scroll all the way up(i was an idiot and didn't realized I deleted it and kept working) but most of it is cut off in my konsole.

Now the konsole lets you specify how much history you want to view, but when I set it higher it doesn't bring anything back. I don't know if it has the info and just won't reload it, doesn't have it at all, or(hopefully) it rotated some log file that is now safe and sound.

Now does konsole have a file somewhere with all the activity from this terminal? If not, does cat have a logfile that I can just open up and cutnpaste the contents into a text file and save my data?

Please help, this file really means a lot to me.

Chad
k9
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for certain that "cat" does not have a log file. And I'm almost certain that if the text has scrolled off the top of your console, you probably won't be able to get it back (because the scrollback information is likely stored in memory and not to a file).

However, there might be some sort of way to try to recover your deleted files from the file system---I have never tried to do that before though.

Perhaps others on the forums will have some other more helpful ideas.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: