View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Gnome and Program menus Reply with quote

This sounds a really stupid question, especially as I can't find the answer on this site, I must be missing something obvious.

I tried updating GNOME that was hard enough (I had to unmerge bonobo and merge libbonobo and it took me some time to figure that out). When I ran it, most programs I use were missing from my start menu. I could not find a way of adding them.

It's so easy in KDE, very few things get left off, and those that do I can add easily.

The other thing is, is there a way in GNOME to spread out the cramped menus, and is there a more pleasant icon scheme (the HOME icon looks quite sinister, and does not change whichever icon scheme I select). I mean people praise GNOME's superior functionality, but I cannot see it, and it's UGLY!

HELP, someone...
Ntlworld cable internet via ethernet
and PC-Chips Desknote Laptop (with PCLOS-pre-81a )
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right click on an existing menu item and hit Entire menu->Add new item to this menu. (Unfortunately, the current state of GTK precludes being able to right-click on a submenu and get a context menu pop up.)

I don't find the menus at all cramped. I use the Amaranth GTK theme with fonts of Sans 10, Sans 10, and Monospace 10 (they're the Bitstream Vera fonts; ideal for screen display). This is with a screen dpi of 105 (1600×1024 on a 19"). Here's rather out of date screenshot

I use the Amaranth icon theme, but there are plenty of other pretty themes. Wasp and Lush have rather nice Home icons. You can always get new icon themes from http://art.gnome.org if you don't like the defaults. Make sure to emerge gentoo-artwork.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: