Install Documentation Feedback
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackDuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Install Documentation Feedback Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this where this should go.

I'm in the process of installing Gentoo from a LiveCD Stage 3 on a Dell GX1 Pentium3 box. The install documentation has improved a lot and it is much easier to follow than previous versions.

I'm a total noobie and would really appreciate it if we could have intructions for different architectures in separate streams instead of having one install instruction set for all architectures. For example, if I want to install Gentoo on an x86 box, it would be really helpfull to just see instructions relating to x86 machines.

As a noobie installing Gentoo for the first time, I don't want to see install instructions for other architectures. I just want to see instructions that would get my Gentoo system up and running in the shortest possible time and in the least confusing manner.

I'm also aware that with Open Source, if you want something, you do it yourself. If this is something that other would find useful, I would be quite happy to cobble something together from existing doco. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Join the unanswered post initiative
Dell GX1 PIII 500 512MB Onboard ATI Rage Pro 3D | HP P1120 21" 1600x1200@85Hz
2 HP Vectra VE PIII 500 512MB Onboard Matrox G200
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the strong points of Gentoo (or its documentation, at least ;-)) is that it always tries to encourage users to think and act for themselves.
This means that if you want to install Gentoo by just connecting the dots and not learning anything of value about either Gentoo or Linux in general, that's fine - the handbook should enable you to do just that.
But it also means that whenever an opportunity presents itself to further educate or raise awareness in the process that is Gentoo, it is explored as much as possible.
You will never find any instructions in any Gentoo Guide that say: you have to do this now - unless it satisfies a dependency that could create mucho trouble further along the way, that is.

I think there's always a need for more documentation, but creating separate installation instructions - dunno.
BlackDuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. One of the things I like about Gentoo is all the documentation that helps newbies get started, and I have learned heaps about the Gentoo install process. For me, it's a personal preference. I'm a bit of a lazy bugger and there's a lot of information to absorb, so I'm trying to filter out things that are not immediately relevant to me.

For example, when I'm setting up the bootloader on an x86 box, I don't want to know the details of how it's done on a Sparc. Later, if I get a Sparc, I'd like to go and look up instruction on how to set it up on a Sparc :wink:

Anyway, when I get my system up and running, I might submit a simplified how-to install for x86 and see if its any help.

Join the unanswered post initiative
Dell GX1 PIII 500 512MB Onboard ATI Rage Pro 3D | HP P1120 21" 1600x1200@85Hz
2 HP Vectra VE PIII 500 512MB Onboard Matrox G200
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: