View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ansorg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: which WM can do this? Reply with quote

I searched the forum for "grouping windows" but all I could find were discussions about tabbed windows.

Now, what I'm looking for is a WM that can do something that Sawfish can:

Imagine Gimp-1.2.x or XSane. Those apps consist of several child windows which I can arrange in any way I like on screen or even workspaces. There can even be torn-off menus that I position around my image - all those appear as separate windows to the WM. I like that, I need that :)

Now, Sawfish has a feature that can group windows together in a sence that if you minimize any of the gimp windows - toolbox, image, torn-off menu - all windows that are related to gimp get minimized as well. This is extremely useful for such apps that deal with multiple child windows.

Unfortunately for some reasons I do not use Sawfish anymore in Gnome-2.5.x, I use OpenBox3 which cannot do this.

There is an option "Window Grouping" in the gnome wondow list applet but this just groups the buttons together but does not allow to show/hide all those buttons at once - useless for me.

Question: Is there another WM more similar to openbox that offers this kind of grouping? Or perhaps a separate App? I tried devilspie but it does not have this feature.

thanks
Jens
Pink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may get contradicted here, but I think Kahakai can do this.

I have used the exact procedure that you have outlined and I have only used fluxbox and Kahakai in the past few months.

Sorry I can't give more pointers than that but try the Kahakai home page (a search in Google will bring it up - I don't use it anymore so don't have the link).

HTH :?
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Openbox3 definatly can do this with gimp-1.3, it's automatic, if you minimize the main window, all of them get sent out, and other stuff. It's due to its very good NETWM compliance.

Edit: Actually; I take it back, it appears OB3 can no longer do this, apparently because this behavoir caused problems with inproperly made apps, so he took it out.
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not 100% sure of this, but I think KDE does it. Personaly, it's a feature that anoys the crap out of me so I know if it was there I turned it off, but I do belive it offers window grouping to the taskbar.

actualy, I just looked and it's there. you can get it in the "taskbar" portion of the control panel
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I keep trying new WM's (kahakai, metacity, xfce4, etc.), but I always go back to sawfish. Somehow, they just got things right.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: