Audacity can't record from line channel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noisema
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Audacity can't record from line channel Reply with quote

In short the problem is as follows:

I'm trying to record some music from an external source. I have it connected to my soundcard (a terratec Xfire 1024, with an CS4294 chip on it (according to the alsa mixer). The driver for the soundcard is the CS46xx , module. I can hear the external device, and I can adapt te soundvolume with the alsamixer. Unfortunately, if I want to record something with Audacity, the spectrummeter is nog showing any activity (no peaks).

I selected the line input in the program itself, but it's not recording the audio. I checked the record box in the alsa mixer, but Audacity doesn't seem to hear anything?

I left everything with the default settings, except for changing the recording source (which has to be the line channel).

Rest of the audio is working fine, it seems that I cannot record from the line-in input.
Maybe it has something to do with that after a while the left channel starts to give a low output, and gives a hissing sound (could be a alsa bug, as I have it compiled as a module).

Here's what I have:

Terratec XFire 1024 (module 46xx)
Kernel 2.6.3-gentoo-dev-sources
Audacity uses /dev/dsp for the soundsource for recording/playing (playing from within the program works fine).

Anyone knows what could be the problem?

Thnx.
Noisema
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got a clue?
sertsa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using arts? Audacity won't record a thing for me unless a 'killall artsd' is done first.
Noisema
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sertsa wrote:
Are you using arts? Audacity won't record a thing for me unless a 'killall artsd' is done first.

I'm running GNome 2.4.1, sound is driven by ALSA.

If I do killall artsd as root on the command line it says: artsd: no process killed.
So I guess I have no Arts daemon running on my system?

Maybe it's Esound from Gnome which is bugging me? But if i disable the Esound server in the Gnome preferences I have totally no sound at all (and GNome gives errors that the mixer isn't attached).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: