View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hakimoto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] KDM won't start... Reply with quote

Hi there,

I got gentoo installed on my Sharp Actius PC-A290 laptop recently, and apart from losing eth0 on reboot, which is not too bad at the moment, since I was using the GRP anyways, I have gotten all the way through the install guide without too much trouble. However one thing clogs:

I emerged xfree without major problems, then used xf86config to configure my gfx card, which is a Trident Cyber 9525 DVD chipset with supposedly 2 MB ram (2.5 MB in some specs), though KDE under debian reports 4 MB and another 4 MB further up, strange. I used the generic trident, the trident cyberblade generic and the 9520 driver, all working fine, some tuned refresh rates, etc.

When starting twm all goes fine, it switches to 1024x768x16bpp as it should.

However then I emerge kde, start kdm afterwards and it just goesto:

screen off, console, screen off, console and so on for a few times and returns to console.

Then when I startx, it tells me (a bit nicer looking than twm, so I assume some kde is in there) that kdeinit could not be located.

Can anyone help out here? If you need more detailed info, please tell me.

I only have the one system available right now, and it's running debian on it, so switching is kind of difficult, but I'll try and have parallel systems until this is fixed, so I can migrate to gentoo, cos it's way nicer.

Regards.

Last edited by Hakimoto on Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
odegard
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me that it tried the different modes in XF86config without success. Could it be that you're trying to high a resolution/frequency? How about copying the XF86config file from your debian install? Assuming the debian install works, and that the XF86config file is the culprit, this would fix the problem.
Hakimoto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will try that. It did look like it was mode-switching. XFree can be a bit fuzzy sometimes, even on debian it took meages, cos getting the specs of my gfx chip was real hard. Stupid thing to make a chipset and make it the odd one out. Thanks trident! ;-)

Thank you for your help, I am going to do a half debian half gentoo disk tomorrow and see what happens.
Hakimoto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, I copied the XF86Config-4 from the working debian system, with a single mode in it, namely 1024x768x16bpp. Now the following happens:

Startx starts twm fine, with a bit different font than before.
KDM still cycles through black screens, then returns to console.
Startx after modifying rc.conf to use the kde session shows only a black screen with x cursor, seems to be at the right res though.

Any further ideas? I am really stuck here.

Thanks
tmr777
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the program 'xf86cfg'. It will automatically create an XF86Config file for you that you can then save to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 .

HTH,

_Terry
Hakimoto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Terry!

You see the thing is, I have a working XF86Config-4 from my debian system. Works flawlessly, that's why I am writing this message in FireFox under KDE under Debian right now. I can't see how that would be different... thanks anyways!
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you have in your /etc/X11/Sessions? Whats in the kde session file? Is there a kdeinit file on your computer?
Hakimoto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In /etc/X11/Sessions I have:

Code:
Xsession kde-3.1.3

I substituted kde-3.1.3 into rc.conf as indicated in the comments.

Inside kde-3.1.3:

Code:
#!bin/sh
/usr/kde/3.1/bin/startkde

The kdeinit problem is not reproducible since I copied the XF86Config-4 file over from debian. As far as I can tell there is no such file. In my debian install there is one. It contains binary data.
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kdeinit in my computer even though I don't have kde (as in emerge kde) installed since I have installed kdelibs and kdebase along with a few programs from kdepim. Can you make sure that there's no such file by maybe using locate etc. Mine is located in /usr/kde/3.2/bin/kdeinit but that's just because my pakages are version 3.2. Could you maybe try re-emerging your kdelibs and kdebase? This is somewhat of a last resort as it will take quite a while even in a fast computer.
Hakimoto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is definately no such file kdeinit in the gentoo system. Emerging kde would also emerge xfree to a newer version as far as I can see.. that would take days on this machine...

I just don't understand it, I've started from scratch three times, and it's always kde that blocks. And no, I really don't wanna go the gnome way. No offence.

Any ideas what could fail here? I mean the XF86Config-4 is fine, that's shown by the debian system, the xserver starts with only a few messages about fonts, and kde cycles cycles cycles dies...

I'm gonna crosspost this on kde.org (if they have forums, haven't checked yet)... but I'm not sure if this is really gentoo or kde at fault here...

Thanks for the help sofar, any further ideas appreciated.
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hakimoto wrote:
And no, I really don't wanna go the gnome way. No offence.

Now why would somebody get offended by something like that? I don't want to use gnome either and no one's come yelling about that (yet). :)

And I don't think it should install a newer version of xfree if you instal the same kde packages again but if it's a slow computer even that'll probably take a day give or take 13 days. I'll try to think about this some more but I can't come up with anything smart atm.

P.S. I like your avatar. :wink:
Hakimoto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derryth, thanks for that. Kiitos for the compliment on the avatar. It's Alucard from the japanese series Hellsing, in case you wondered. I will try and do the kde thing. Wonder how long that will take... thanks forthe help so far.
Tii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hakimoto wrote:
Derryth, thanks for that. Kiitos for the compliment on the avatar. It's Alucard from the japanese series Hellsing, in case you wondered. I will try and do the kde thing. Wonder how long that will take... thanks forthe help so far.

Ole hyvä. I don't need to wonder as I'm a Hellsing addict (but that's not the only reason I like the avatar, I really should try and get somewhere on learning japanese so that I could read the manga). :) It'll probably take too long, trust me on this. Hopefully it will do some good too. It would be a real waste to wait so long for nothing.
Hakimoto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People, thanks for all the help. I found the problem. It was in kdm.log actually. The shared library libart_lgpl couldn't be loaded,so I emerged a new version, emerge said it needed to Repair, then updated some stuff (env) and kdm starts up like a glory.

There are two EEs left in the log, pex5 and xie not loading because they don't exist, but I really don't know what they are for.

Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: