A could-be convert to Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gspr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: A could-be convert to Gentoo Reply with quote

Hi!

Virtually the only Linux I've ever used is Debian, but lately I've been considering switching to Gentoo.
Is anybody who have made the switch from deb to gentoo willing to point out to me the major differences, things to be on watch for, etc?

Thanks. :D
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A could-be convert to Gentoo Reply with quote

gspr wrote:
Virtually the only Linux I've ever used is Debian, but lately I've been considering switching to Gentoo.
Is anybody who have made the switch from deb to gentoo willing to point out to me the major differences, things to be on watch for, etc?

I was running Sid before switching to Gentoo. Some of the things that I've noticed:

• Sid was more stable in terms of packages installing correctly. Gentoo has gotten a lot better in this area over the past couple of months, but there's still some work to do
  • Gentoo gets new software a *lot* faster than Debian, especially for larger packages. *cough*KDE3*cough*
  • emerge doesn't have all of the options that apt does. There are other tools that complement emerge, but IMO apt is a little more feature-rich
  • This should be obvious, but packages with Gentoo will take a *lot* longer to install since they need to be compiled from source
  • With Gentoo, you have to do a lot more of the package configuration yourself. With Debian, you'd usually get a default config file that might not be optimized for your particular system, but would at least get you up and running. With Gentoo, you need to actually create the config file. (XFree86 is a good example of this.)
  • Not sure how important this is to you, but there is far, far less political baggage with Gentoo than with Debian.

I'm sure there are other differences, but those are the ones that spring to mind. Overall, I'm extremely happy with Gentoo and the control and flexibility that it gives me. Debian is a fine distro -- I just happen to like Gentoo better.

--kurt
WarMachine
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people always go to the stability argument, I haven't had any stability problems on gentoo
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you run bleeding edge packages like kde 3.1 beta 1, you might have stability problems... but I'm running it and it is quite stable.

WarMachine wrote:
Some people always go to the stability argument, I haven't had any stability problems on gentoo
Craigo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really it all boils down to what you are using the system for...

For me, I'm running debian on the server here because I just want things to be stable (tm) and my main workstation is running Gentoo. This way I can play around with Gentoo etc without having to do the same thing on the server.

Everyone have their own ways of using which distros server/workstation wise.

-/Craigo/-
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also be interested in this thread, this thread or this thread.
w00t
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imagine apt get, but so much better, and something much much better than dselect known as the portage tree
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think of it this way:

remember the feeling you got when you went from Windows to Linux?
That's the freedom you feel :)
(that's how I felt)
klondike_kid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to say that there is a "learning curve" for Gentoo, however, I think it is worth it in the long run.

One of the things people have to remember (IMHO) is that this setup is more for developers and system tweakers, people who are more content dabbling with their system to get a little more out of it than normal. One day I think there will be a much more mainstream version of Gentoo that will do alot of the optimizations "on the fly." Just look at the PPC side. They (the PPC dev team) have done lots of work that people coming in now will never know.

Sorry, rambling I guess.

I am still working on getting my system all the way up and running, however, I am more than happy with the configurability of Gentoo over other distros.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of good and valid points made here.

I just want to add another:

If you use your system for production, stay away from unmasking packages in the package.mask file.

I have spent almost all of my time to day at work trying to get XFree86 4.2.1 to work with my ATI card, had to back down to 4.2.0, but now it's working again :twisted:

I use KDE 3.1 beta and I'm very happy with it.

YMMV!

Erik
gspr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: So you switched, or? Reply with quote

gspr wrote:
Did you switch then? How was your experience?

I used to be a serious Debian fan. Recently I've had a couple of really bad installation experiences with Debian stable - the project seems to have lost control of its dependencies, and standard packages will fail to install in ways that are just too time-consuming to debug and work around - and a couple of remarkably smooth Gentoo installs (both server and workstation setups for both). The good news in the Debian world is that Knoppix is an incredible run-from-CD system based on it ... quite useful for installing Gentoo: boot Knoppix then follow the Gentoo instructions to install via chroot. Not that Gentoo's own disk images aren't good, but Knoppix will boot well on just about anything, and with as rich a set of tools as you could desire.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: