CUPS password?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KlausBreuer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: CUPS password? Reply with quote

Hi!

Okay, I have a lovely little HP 4M postscripter installed on my parallel port. You'd think that this would be easy to use, but for some reason it isn't. I spent quite some time, finally finding the correct postscript driver and copying it to /usr/share/cups/models.

Interestingly, the KDE printer setup (Add Printer) now doesn't find *any* printers anymore, but I can point it to the HP manually. I can set it up and all, but then CUPS asks me for a password.
And guess what - it doesn't like <current user name>/<his password> nor <root>/<root password>. No matter which user name and which password I enter, nothing is accepted.

Help! Am I nuts? Have I simply stayed up too long? Does my Linux hate postscripters? Did CUPS blow its little mind?
k9
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, CUPS looks for a root username and password. However, I'm not familiar with KDE's interface for CUPS. I usually use the (pretty poorly designed) web interface which is accessible at http://127.0.0.1:631 .
manywele
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just helped my friend set up his parallel port printer and he got the same problem. It was over the phone so I'm not too sure what it looked like but he had the same thing with user/root login not working. He said he had to, in the cups manage printer page (I think), click "accept jobs" and then click "start printer". Or some such.

Sorry for the vagueness. It wasn't my box nor was I there but the problem sounds the same. I still have no idea what login/password it was looking for. Maybe you can filter something useful out of this though. :(
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If using the KDE printing manager to configure a printer through CUPS, root or the relevant user *NEEDS* to be in the lp group!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: