Live CD locks up after mounting /proc on powerbook g4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slick0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Live CD locks up after mounting /proc on powerbook g4 Reply with quote

on the 2004.0 iso (only iso i tried), no matter what my boot options are, as soon as init starts to load (right after /proc is mounted) the machine lockes up. its a 12" powerbook g4 1ghz 256m w/airport.

any help appreciated
-Jared
dchart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a confirmatory message. I get the same behaviour on an 867MHz 12" PowerBook. (And I have to pass video=ofbonly (or whatever) or I get an unuseable display as soon as the no-penguin screen vanishes, but that's not a major problem.)
uncon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same behaviour on my 867MHz 12" PowerBookas well.
rsumner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: try this Reply with quote

I personally like this mirror for it's speed and I used this CD on my Powerbook with no problem. I have a G4 550Mhz.

ftp://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo/releases/ppc/1.4/livecd/livecd-g4-grp-1.4-cd1.iso
slick0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that iso worked great. thanks. i hope whatever the issue is with the 2004.0 iso gets resolved, though.
cypherpunk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was having the same problem... just posted about it too
its too bad that 2004.0 has a problem

thanks for the link.. cant wait to get it going
cypherpunk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got the 1.4 LiveCD and im still having problems.
I have an 867mHz Powerbook G4, with the ATI video
after i boot from cd the computer will shut itself down... is there any hope?
slick0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, using the 1.4 iso to boot, I was able to get Gentoo installed without a problem... After over a week of using 2.6.1-r1 with a problem at starting the kernel (sometimes freezes after the cdrom stopped clicking), i decided to go with the latest 2.6 in portage (ppc-development), which is 2.6.3, to see if this was fixed. I found out two things... No, my problem was not fixed, and that this kernel freezes at mounting /proc. I copied the .config from the old kernel to the new, as well as went through menuconfig, so I'm sure the configuration is not the problem. Any idea as to what may cause this? Does the 2004.0 iso use a 2.6.3 kernel?
pvdabeel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slick0 wrote:
Any idea as to what may cause this? Does the 2004.0 iso use a 2.6.3 kernel?

Yes, it does. We are working on a solution.

Pieter Van den Abeele
dostrow
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Nooooo! Reply with quote

Darn it all, I just got a nice shiny new 1.25 GHz G4 and wanted to throw gentoo on, but with all the buzz about the 10.3.3 update breaking things and problems in booting the 2.6 kernel I guess I will have to wait. :cry: And I thought it would be so nice to get a 3rd architecture running gentoo in my room. Oh well, guess I'll have to stick with x86 and sparc64 till you guys figure this one out. *Sigh*
liquidx
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a similar problem on my 12" Powerbook G4 1GHz. it stalls on mounting sysfs which is right after mount /proc. the only way i found to get gentoo on the powerbook is by using the 1.4 livecd and then getting the 2004.0 stages.

the problem seems to be with the benh kernels, so use the sys-kernel/development-sources.
pvdabeel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liquidx wrote:
i had a similar problem on my 12" Powerbook G4 1GHz. it stalls on mounting sysfs which is right after mount /proc. the only way i found to get gentoo on the powerbook is by using the 1.4 livecd and then getting the 2004.0 stages.

the problem seems to be with the benh kernels, so use the sys-kernel/development-sources.

I can confirm that kernel 2.6.3-benh2 had issues with some machines. 2.6.4 solved this problem. We weren't able to reproduce the problem ourselves, but users reported 2.6.4 did not have the problem.

I'll reroll the iso's with a 2.6.4 kernel.
dostrow
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news. It does not look like the 2.6.4 kernel has been merged into protage yet, at least by the info on packages.gentoo.org, I would check portage myself but I had to temporarily abandon gentoo (not that it solved any of my problems, it seems that debian, yellowdog, and crux all have radeon framebuffer issues). Is it merged in? If not when will it be? Also does anyone know if any of the radeon framebuffer issues were fixed in 2.6.4 that would be nice to know.
dostrow
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vary cool, now running 2.6.4, but I have a new problem, the therm_windtunnel module now fails to load. I will take this up on irc tomorrow.
aaahoopy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pvdabeel wrote:
liquidx wrote:

I can confirm that kernel 2.6.3-benh2 had issues with some machines. 2.6.4 solved this problem. We weren't able to reproduce the problem ourselves, but users reported 2.6.4 did not have the problem.

I'll reroll the iso's with a 2.6.4 kernel.

Its really bizarre, but I have 2 G5s sitting here, one locks up on the mounting /proc, and one does not. Are the new ISOs you mentioned above available somewhere that I could download them and check them out?

Thanks,
John
corsair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news about the new iso's?

Markus
Ebawho
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i to was ready to install gentoo on my powerbook (12in rev b 1ghz) but i got the same problem. Well, just bumping this and seeing if anyone has a solution. I guess im not alone.
Ebawho
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on how to get gentoo to work, i have tried other distros, but i just love gentoo too much, id love to get it to work on my powerbook
valenfor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Waiting on a fix... Reply with quote

I am also waiting on a new ISO - but is there anything else that can be done? Is it possible to upgrade EVERY package from a stage1 if I start with the 1.4? Sorry have used many other Linux's before, but first time to Gentoo.

First time with PPC as well :) Oh how I love being a noob again.

Any recommended courses of action to get the process going would be appreciated greatly!

Main problem I have is the sungem driver is not available on the CD's so I can't get to the net during install.

Valenfor
blackphiber
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Waiting on a fix... Reply with quote

valenfor wrote:

Main problem I have is the sungem driver is not available on the CD's so I can't get to the net during install.

Wow, I thought I was the only one with this problem, I thought I was doing something wrong. I could not get ethernet going either. Just wondering, anyone have any idea if the airport extreme card in my Ibook G4 will work, or if it will work soon? I think I am going to give 1.4 a shot, unless someone hears that that new iso will be rolled soon. I got Yellow Dog running on it for now, but I would like to give gentoo a shot, right now I am running Mozilla 1.2 (lol). Please let me know if I can help with rolling this iso, I would be more than happy to help (although I have never done it before). And please, include this sungem driver!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: