Asus p4c800 and live cd 2.6
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizla_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Asus p4c800 and live cd 2.6 Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to install gentoo on my machine asus with one sata disc.
The problem is at the boot time: I do "gentoo" (booting from experimental cd 2.6) and I see a black screen and stop it.
I've read on other thread that the driver for sk98lib eth is in 2.6 experimental cdrom, but mine can't boot.
Could someone please help me ?
Regards,
Fab
xlevus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this exact same problem on my P4P800 (which is pretty much identical)
simulacrum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a P4C800 Deluxe myself and I was able to boot from the 2004.0 experimental CD. The only thing I had to do was change my IDE settings to compatible instead of enhanced. A word of warning: the sk98lib driver has a bug. On my system it kept causing a kernel panic and locking up the system. I had to reboot about 10 times throughout the install until I could boot into a kernel with the driver built in. Apparently the bug is known but hasn't been fixed. Good luck, sorry I can't offer any advice as far as the black screen.
dechah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simulacrum wrote:
The only thing I had to do was change my IDE settings to compatible instead of enhanced.

I tried this in my P4C800 Deluxe BIOS and lost my CDRom drives. So I am in the unenviable position where I need to have the IDE set in my system BIOS to "enhanced" to be able to access the install media CD-Rom, but must have the IDE set in my system BIOS to "compatible" in order for the install media to work. I can't seem to win here. :(

Dechah
lagrima
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

it works in compatible mode for me. i save my wd raptor on sata 1 nad 2 cdroms on ide channel 2

i had the same problem though and spent some time wondering what was wrong only to realized that i put most of my ide in "not installed" mode. so put all your ide to auto maybe so you can see them? it might just that.
simulacrum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have observed, when you specify "compatible" versus "enhanced," the motherboard makes it look as though you have two IDE controllers, one of which actually being the SATA controller, so in actuality you lose one of your IDE controllers. If you have devices on each of your IDE controllers, you will lose access to it, ie your CD-ROM. If possible, I would put your CD-ROM on the first IDE controller until you can boot a kernel with SATA built in, then change it back. I noticed that I lost my DVD burner when I was in compatible mode since it resides on the second IDE controller. Good luck.
CaptainTrips
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the P4C800E Deluxe board with 2 sata hard disks and 3 optical drives connected as primary master, and secondary master and secondary slave. The promise controller is disabled, and the drives are running in enhanced mode, but with raid turned off. I can safely say it's no fun trying to install on this hardware combination. All the liveCD's from 1.4 through about 4 2.6 experimental disks to the current 2004.0 lock solid with either a black screen or just after the disk detection.

It took me more than 6 weeks to get installed, but i've finally done it. I had to use another PC to get started, so this might not be an option for you, but here goes....

The other PC I used was athlon XP-based, and uses an nForce2 chipset. It also had a supported sata controller onboard as well (promise 378). The first thing I did was plug the drive in, disable both of the hard disks in the athlon PC, boot from the basic 2004.0 liveCD, and select the smp kernel. The drive was then detected as sda1, and I proceeded to partition the disk. I then typed dhcpcd eth1 to bring the network up. (the firewire ports are detected as eth0)

The next thing I did was mount the partitions, turn on the swap space, and get a stage2 pentium3 tarball from a mirror. (Pentium3 is the highest spec that's common to athlonXP and P4), and extract it. Then I got a portage snapshot and extracted that as well.

The next step was to set up make.conf. I used march=pentium3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -O3 for the temporary CFLAGS, and -j2 for the MAKEOPTS. I also set the USE options to mmx sse. I then followed the rest of chapter 6 of the installation guide. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=6 Then, i chrooted to the new system.

For configuring a temporary kernel, I followed chapter 7 of the installation guide. I got the gentoo-dev-sources as they are based on kernel 2.6.3 and have support for all the devices on the motherboard. I also got genkernel. Start genkernel with the following command:-
Code:
genkernel all --menuconfig

This is important, as you MUST customise the kernel, or it will be unbootable on the other PC.

For kernel options, disable IDE support totally, and go to scsi low-level drivers and ensure sata support is turned on. For the network, just make sure that intel gigabit ethernet support is turned on and all will be well. Set the processor type to pentiumII (or the highest processor type with common features you can), and start compiling.

The next thing you need to do, is emerge hotplug and add it to your default boot level. Then, set your timezone and edit fstab. Think carefully when you set up fstab. You want to set it up so it will work with your other PC, and not set it up so it works in the computer you're using for the installation. As an example, I set my fstab to have /boot as /dev/sdb1 even though it's sda1 in the system I used to install onto. (When the drive is in the PC it's meant to be in, you need fstab set up correctly first time with no mistakes, or you're going to have to take the drive out again in order to correct it. The liveCD won't boot, remember ;))

Next, i followed chapter 8 of the install guide, from section 8b onwards. After that was done, I had the fun of installing the bootloader. If you only have a single hard disk in the PC this disk is meant for, you're almost done. If it's not, then you're going to have to perform some voodoo rituals in order to get running. Assuming you've only got a single drive or this is your boot drive, once grub is set up you can shut down, and put the disk in the P4, and you're away. (Just remember to recompile your kernel with the proper optimisations and features you need, after changing -march to pentium4 in make.conf.)

If you've got more than 1 drive and the disk you're setting up gentoo on isn't the first drive, things get a bit interesting from this point on. Put the disk back into the P4, start up the computer and press F8 to get the boot selection popup. Select the disk with gentoo on it, and boot. If you're very lucky, everything will boot just fine and you can just re-run grub and install to hd0.

One problem I had here was that the bios on the motherboard was buggy, and i couldn't select any other hard disk to boot apart from the windows drive. It took a flash update to fix this. The next problem I had was that the information in grub.conf no longer matched the drive I was trying to boot from. To fix this took a bit of trial and error, but wasn't really a problem. I pressed c to get a grub prompt, and tried different values for root. I started with root (hd0,0) then root (hd1,0). You'll know if you get it right because grub will report the file system of the boot partition instead of unknown. Then, I told grub the location of the kernel, the kernel parameters, and the location of the initrd. Finally, I just typed boot, and linux started. I then remounted /boot, fixed grub.conf, re-run grub to put the bootloader on the first hard disk, and rebooted to test.

Finally, after all OS's were booting properly, I changed make.conf (USE=mmx sse sse2, MAKEOPTS=-j3 -march=pentium4) and recompiled the kernel. Because the processor supports hyperthreading, I turned on SMP support and limited it to 2 processors. I also set the processor type properly and had a more through look at all the options and drivers available. I left ATA/MFM/RLL/IDE support completely turned off, as I know something in there causes the kernel to be unbootable. Once the kernel was recompiled, I emreged all the utilities and software I want on a linux system. Everything's been great since. :)

Some other things you could try once you're up and running is an emerge -e world to cause everything to be recompiled for your real hardware, and a bit of trial-and-error with kernel configurations in order to get the standard IDE ports working. These are all things I intent to do in the future. Once I've figured out how to get the standared IDE ports working again, I'll post my kernel config here...
Jowilly
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Asus p4c800 and live cd 2.6 Reply with quote

rizla_ wrote:
Hello,

The problem is at the boot time: I do "gentoo" (booting from experimental cd 2.6) and I see a black screen and stop it.
Fab

You need to boot the livecd with :

Code:
gentoo pnpbios=off
Takker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) Try using Knoppix for install. You won't need to care about hardware stuff.
b) Read:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=150285
It may help
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: