JuK skips, XMMS (and other audio) doesn't
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: JuK skips, XMMS (and other audio) doesn't Reply with quote

I've been playing around with JuK, but I'm finding that I hear a lot of very brief skips in mp3's I'm playing through JuK. This does not happen with XMMS or with other programs that play audio (mplayer, for example).

One other annoying think with JuK is that for some mp3's there is a brief sound of gibberish audio at the beginning of the track, as if someone was listening to a tape played at a very high speed. Again, this does not seem to happen with XMMS.

Any ideas why this might be happening?
kai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you using kernel 2.6? juk skipped sometimes for me before I upgraded to 2.6

If you are using 2.6, try the cfq scheduler.
riggagoogoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem similar to this however it also affected kaboodle and noatun, I am using 2.6 and found the problem to be with my IDE drivers(dma was not enabled and I was unable to turn it on using hdparm), I had compiled them as modules so went back and built them in to the kernel and all my problems have now gone, sound is rock steady in any audio app I use.

Hope this helps

RiGGa
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a 2.6 kernel with cfq, and dma is set correctly on my machine. My IDE drivers are built into my kernel.

I did check out kaboodle and noatun, and I do get similar problems with these two programs as well. :?
BeFalou
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I think it's arts related, however, this post have been around for a while, did you get a solution?
soNNe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to recompile kdelibs, kdemultimedia and arts with +alsa set in you USE flag. the go to kde control panel -> sound and multimedia -> sound system and set audio device to Advanced linux sound architechture.

that worked for me.

if your speakers starts to make noise after that. just open your kde mixer (kmix) and disable the Surround down mix
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeFalou wrote:
Same here. I think it's arts related, however, this post have been around for a while, did you get a solution?

No -- never got a solution.

I do have alsa enabled in my USE flags, and my KDE control panel is set up identically to soNNe's. My audio card does not have a surround mode, so I couldn't disable that. I did disable the 3D, mono, and phase inversion modes (whatever the last one is), but that didn't improve JuK's performance, either.
jkocur26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a workaround for me at least. I changed artsd to use OSS instead of alsa and this got rid of the sound cut-outs in kaboodle. By the way I do use alsa with oss-emulation.
jimmybfan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try using gstreamer instead of arts. put gstreamer in your USE and remerge kdemultimedia. the in Juk go to Settings->Output to->gstreamer. I've never ahd any skips with it and you can search in flac files too.
alshain
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmybfan wrote:
you could try using gstreamer instead of arts. put gstreamer in your USE and remerge kdemultimedia. the in Juk go to Settings->Output to->gstreamer. I've never ahd any skips with it and you can search in flac files too.

Hmm... I've tried recompiling kdemultimedia and it complains it can't find gstreamer. It says:

checking kde/gst/gstreamer.h usability... no
checking kde/gst/gstreamer.h presence... no
checking for kde/gst/gstreamer.h... no

So it seems it's looking in the kde directory for the gstreamer headers, which are in the /usr/include/gstreamer-0.6/ directory. Did you have to recompile gstreamer as well, or is it simply a matter of making a symlink from the kde directory to the actual location?

Andrew
jimmybfan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, i forgot you have to have the kde gstreamer bindings installed first. go to https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43417 and use that ebuild (kgst-0.6.1.ebuild) to merge the kde gstreamer bindings and then remerge kdemultimedia and it should work.
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkocur26 wrote:
I found a workaround for me at least. I changed artsd to use OSS instead of alsa and this got rid of the sound cut-outs in kaboodle. By the way I do use alsa with oss-emulation.

This works for me too. Thanks!

It is a little annoying since I was trying to have an all-ALSA no OSS sound system -- all in the name of progress, of course. :roll:
Merlin-TC
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you tried that yet but just lower the ARTS buffer to the lowest possible and try it again.
Control Center -> Sound System -> General -> Skip Prevention

I know that it would be logical to increase the buffer to get better skipping protection (as the name states) but this just worked for me.

Just give it a try.
dizzogg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is one of the reasons why i don't like using kde. arts really does suck. I've tried everything, and while I can make it better, I still get skips, which annoy the hell out of me. :x
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmybfan wrote:
oops, i forgot you have to have the kde gstreamer bindings installed first. go to https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43417 and use that ebuild (kgst-0.6.1.ebuild) to merge the kde gstreamer bindings and then remerge kdemultimedia and it should work.

Thanks for the link, it was a struggle but I finally got it working. It's nice to have proper flac support in juk. :D
ScubaStreb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerFactor,

Mind if I asked how you got this working? I've emerged the kgst package from bugs.gentoo.org, I have Gstreamer-0.8.1 installed, and gst-plugins-flac. I compiled everything with flac as one of my use flags. However, I get this error when I start to re-compile kdemultimedia...

Code:
* You do not seem to have GStreamer and the
* KDE GStreamer bindings installed.  Without these
* aRts output will be used exclusively.
* You can get these bindings from kdenonbeta/gst
* or from the JuK homepage.
* JuK supports GStreamer output but will also
* work with aRts.
    You are missing the FLAC++ headers and libraries
    The FLAC plugin won't be compiled.

I'm going to let it compile through the night anyway. Hopefully this error message was an error :).
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." --Dave Barry
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgst will not currently build against gstreamer-0.8. I used gstreamer-0.6.4 since that's the only pre-0.8 version in portage.
ScubaStreb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Powerfactor,

Thanks for the very quick reply! I unmerged kgst, gstreamer-plugins, and gstreamer then installed gstreamer-0.6.4, gst-plugins-flac-0.6.4, and kgst-0.6.1. Kgst didn't want to compile this time and exited with an error,

[code]!!! ERROR: media-libs/kgst-0.6.1 failed.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line 129, Exitcode 2
!!! died running emake, kde_src_compile:make
[quote]

I've spent about 5 hours too long on this tonight and will have to pick up on it later. Gotta sleep sometime! Hopefully, the ebuild maintainers get the bugs worked out soon. It appears that there are already bug reports out there so I don't have to submit a new one.

Cheers!
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." --Dave Barry
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, momentarily forgot about that. There is some syntax in a couple of the gstreamer headers that g++ doesn't like. I did file a bug about it. But here's what you have to do

Remove the comma from the end of line 53 in /usr/include/gstreamer-0.6/gst/control/dparammanager.h and remove the comma from the end of line 62 in /usr/include/gstreamer-0.6/gst/control/dparam.h.

Then kgst should compile cleanly.
ScubaStreb
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PowerFactor! I'll give it a try tonight!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: