Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo on a IBM rs6000 ? (IBM 7025 F50 )
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arjen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on a IBM rs6000 ? (IBM 7025 F50 ) Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been trying to get a version of linux (any version, debian, suse, gentoo) on an old IBM RS6000 machine (7025 F50). So far, I did not have any luck. I downloaded a number of precompiled 2.2 and 2.4 kernels but not one of these got me very far.

In this (http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=4401) ariticle from september 2003, it looked like support was coming "in the next versions", but no luck so far (ie no support in 2004.0).

Can anybody help me in getting gentoo to work on this box?

Arjen

PS a howto for a B50 system posted a while back did not help, the link to the rock-linux kernel is dead
pvdabeel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get in touch with Tom Gall, tgall@gentoo.org for rs6000 and general IBM machines support.
Emrys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic, but it is funny how you called the F50's old :) You would be surprised how many of these machines are still kickin' around for mission critical production systems. I just upgraded AIX on one of these "grandpa's" the other day :)

Just thought it was funny....
fraterm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Heres another forum posting that might help. Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, thanks to modprobe on #gentoo-ppc this might get you up and running:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=42672&highlight=rs6000

Sitey sites:
http://fraterm.deviantart.com
http://www.approachzero.net
Darth Void
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... I asked the same question last week and got no answer... :P

Glad to see that there are answers out there! :)
wolverine: Bondi Blue iMac 233, 32 MB RAM
nightcrawler: Grape iMac 333, 128 MB RAM, MacOS X 10.2.8 (Jaguar)
sirtoast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Is this still a problem? Reply with quote

I have an excellent opportunity to take home (for free) an RS600 7025-f50 (604e), I just need the harddrives, and obviously, i want to get gentoo on this puppy.

I *think* it has 4 processors (I looked inside it quickly, and saw two 'cards' with what looked like 2 processors on each, maybe someone can clarify this for me. I've never seen a PowerPC RISC chip, and so i don't know how large they are.

A Live CD would be nice, but isn't required. I'm perfectly happy doing things the manual way, as long as I'm given the steps in moron-proof writing;)

If Gentoo is still problematic on the f50, should I be looking at a different flavour? Gonna look around the *BSD sites too, just to see what they have to say.
Pylon
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Is this still a problem? Reply with quote

sirtoast wrote:
If Gentoo is still problematic on the f50, should I be looking at a different flavour? Gonna look around the *BSD sites too, just to see what they have to say.

To be honest, we had never the chance to test a Gentoo LiveCD on an RS/6000. Probably they may work, but I guess that the installed yaboot boot loader isn't the correct one for RS/6000. You could boot up with another Linux-CD and then just create a partition and install Gentoo into it. The only purpose of the Gentoo LiveCD is to provide a basic system with a shell from which you can install the real stages and everything else of your system.
sirtoast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is this still a problem? Reply with quote

Pylon wrote:
sirtoast wrote:

To be honest, we had never the chance to test a Gentoo LiveCD on an RS/6000. Probably they may work, but I guess that the installed yaboot boot loader isn't the correct one for RS/6000. You could boot up with another Linux-CD and then just create a partition and install Gentoo into it. The only purpose of the Gentoo LiveCD is to provide a basic system with a shell from which you can install the real stages and everything else of your system.

It doesn't need to be a LiveCD, I can install the old way, before the LiveCD releases. Would the install documentation still be accurate? I haven't installed a Gentoo system since 1.2 or 1.3 (can't remember which), so it's been 3 years since I did a gentoo install from scratch, have just been emerge-ing since:)
gm7uac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Ibm RS6000 F50 Reply with quote

Nice to see someone else trying to get gentoo on this box, if you have any luck let me know, I have tried lots of different kernel's without much success :-(

most of the kernel's are compiled for mac hardware and do not detect the IBM floppy drive controller.

And when you see the BOGOMIPS count for a 1/2/4 CPU system you wounder why thrse machines cost in excess of 20K !
sirtoast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ibm RS6000 F50 Reply with quote

gm7uac wrote:
And when you see the BOGOMIPS count for a 1/2/4 CPU system you wounder why thrse machines cost in excess of 20K !

That's kinda gloomy...is it feasable to serve a person webpage off this system then? I've got it running in a 200MHz plain vanilla pentium with 96 MB of RAM...if this is going to be more work, or decreased performance, maybe it's better off that I not waste my time. I'm all for tinkeriing, but something of this scope, I'd like to have SOME reward:)
guslinux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a student in Telecom, and I'm working in a company during this mounth. My boss take me a RS6000 server, and say to me "it's for you, play with that and put a Linux into ..." and I play with this server since yesterday ... but linux don't work ... snif.

So,
I have updated the firmware.
I have test a lot of distribution, and different version (Gentoo,Debian,Mandrake... floppy,cdrom)... and NEVER it will boot ! Some time, yaboot work, but when I try to load the kernel I have a (good) message !! :

Code:
boot: pSeries-serial-console-devfs
Please wait, loading kernel...
   Elf64 kernel loaded...
Loading ramdisk...
ramdisk loaded at 01d00000, size: 928 Kbytes

Unexpected Firmware Error:
DEFAULT CATCH!, code=fff00700 at   %SRR0: 0140bd30   %SRR1: 00083000

I'm using Gentoo-ppc64-ibm, and it is the only one who work !

Server informations :
Code:

Device type : chrp

name                    IBM,7043-150
model                   IBM,7043-150
compatible              IBM,7043-150
system-id               IBM,01444364B
ibm,model-class         D5 / E5

If anybody can help me ...

I fallowed this page : http://dev.gentoo.org/~tgall/

NB : I speak french, sorry for my bad english...
gm7uac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Try this. Reply with quote

Hi this thread is for the 7025 F50, but the 7043 150 is very similar, try hitting F8 or the number 8 if using a serial console, this should take you to the
OK prompt, from there if you type devalias this should display the device paths to cdrom,floppy harddisks etc

If you have a chrp kernal on floppy ( needs to be DOS formated ) try:-

boot floppy:; \ zImage root=/dev/fd0 loadramdisk=1 ramdisk_size=128000

from the OK prompt you can also type printenv to view different setting of the machine

Regards

Eddie.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: