View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdtehran
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: kopete not showing AIM users online Reply with quote

Hey, I just started trying out kopete 0.8 on kde 3.2, and whenever i connect to my AIM account, my buddies display for about 2 seconds, then they all sign off, and it shows that they are all offline, eventhough they still are online.

Does AOL block kopete from accessing screenames?

is there a way to fix my kopete to allow me to use my AIM account?
Thanks
Professor Frink
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same thing happens to me! any solution???
"You've got to listen to me. Elementary chaos theory tells us that all robots will eventually turn against their masters and run amok in an orgy of blood, and kicking and the biting with the metal teeth and the hurting and shoving."
Gavrila
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since I don't have any aim contact I dunno. However you can always submit a bug report to bugs.kde.org
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kopete isn't very good at sending your contact list to the server. I already have a bug report on this to kopete people. You will have a hard time finding it. They changed the title and then after I told them how I fixed it, they said they were putting it on the 'wishlist'. Wishlist???? This isn't like, "Could you add a button here"....

Anyway, this is how I fixed this very problem and it is posted on another thread on here. Did you do a search for kopete?

Fix:
Emerge Gaim if you don't have it. Use the same url and port kopete uses (login.oscar.aol.com & port 5190). Setup your contact list with Gaim. Do this for each account with Aim you have. Then log in to each account.
Close out Gaim. Start kopete. Kopete may not send results to the server correctly, but it does retrieve them. Kopete should retrieve your contact list and you will be able to use it with Aim protocol.

If this works for you like it did me. Feel free to bitch to kopete people that you had to use Gaim to setup Kopete. If you do make sure you give them details, and specify your using the Aim Protocol. Maybe it won't be a wishlist if enough people complain and it might actually get them to fix a broken function.

– Steven Wright
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=139424
Gavrila
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decibels wrote:
Kopete isn't very good at sending your contact list to the server. I already have a bug report on this to kopete people. You will have a hard time finding it. They changed the title and then after I told them how I fixed it, they said they were putting it on the 'wishlist'. Wishlist???? This isn't like, "Could you add a button here"....

Anyway, this is how I fixed this very problem and it is posted on another thread on here. Did you do a search for kopete?

Fix:
Emerge Gaim if you don't have it. Use the same url and port kopete uses (login.oscar.aol.com & port 5190). Setup your contact list with Gaim. Do this for each account with Aim you have. Then log in to each account.
Close out Gaim. Start kopete. Kopete may not send results to the server correctly, but it does retrieve them. Kopete should retrieve your contact list and you will be able to use it with Aim protocol.

If this works for you like it did me. Feel free to bitch to kopete people that you had to use Gaim to setup Kopete. If you do make sure you give them details, and specify your using the Aim Protocol. Maybe it won't be a wishlist if enough people complain and it might actually get them to fix a broken function.

can u point me to your bug report and in case let me try it out adding u on my contact list?
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralph wrote:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=139424

Thanks ralph, didn't have time myself to look it up. There is a little more info on how to compile kopete for debug on there also.

– Steven Wright
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavrila wrote:

can u point me to your bug report and in case let me try it out adding u on my contact list?

The only way I could find it was thru my email. At home so here it is:
http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75747

There was a little confusion at first with me calling the accounts as aliases at first, but once that confusion was over, they understood, or seemed to.

– Steven Wright
JazzSax006
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: What I had to do to get kopete 0.8 to work with AIM Reply with quote

Hey guys, I was originally having problems with getting kicked off of AIM immediately after logging on (i.e. it would show who's online, away, offline, etc. but I'd lose my connection immediately and go back offline). Every once in a blue mooon kopete would actually stay logged on and would work perfectly, but most of the time I'd be signed off right after logging on. After trying out a number of things, I got kopete working consistantly for me. I wish I knew which of the following steps actually fixed the problem for me, but I did find the problem to be related to my contact list. I have had my AIM account forever, and somewhere along the line either the actual AIM client or the oscar service or something added a couple of extra contact groups: Merged Contacts, Individuals, and another one I cannot remember off the top of my head. I noticed that gaim displayed these buddy groups when I was online, but kopete did not, leaving me to believe kopete was getting confused with my contact list. So here is what I did to clean some things up:

I logged onto AIM with gaim and got rid of all of my contact groups except for "Buddies" and three others I had created. I also removed one duplicate instance of a buddy I had on my list twice, and removed my own screenname which I had one my list so I could message myself when trying different AIM clients. After this I opened a shell and did the following from my home directory:

rm -r ./.kde3.1/share/apps/kopete

This might be "rm -r ./.kde3.2/share/apps/kopete" for you kde 3.2 users out there. The reason I did this was because I wanted to force kopete to grab a fresh copy of my buddy list the next time it logs onto oscar. I don't know if there is a "nicer" way of doing this, but that worked for me, and the good thing is that is does not remove your actual account settings from kopete (username/passwords etc. for your subscribed services). After this I logged onto AIM with kopete, and all was well. It grabbed a fresh copy of my buddy list I haven't had problems with it since. I hope this helps some people, as I think kopete is a wonderful program, and well worth trying if you are a kde user!

I know this is a long-winded post, but I am hoping if anyone out there who reads this is a kopete developer or just a skilled coder, maybe they can look at the kopete-0.8 source code and figure out what is causing this glitch. I would guess that the problem is one of the following:

-The contact groups I mentioned such as "Merged Contacts" are special and kopete doesn't know how to handle them correctly
-Kopete gets confused when you have multiple instances of the same buddy on your list
-Kopete gets confused by having yourself on your buddy list
-Kopete gets confused by having too many contact groups
-Kopete needs to grab a fresh copy of your buddy list after you make some change to it from another AIM client

I don't know if I am right about any of those, but those are the only reasons I can think of that would cause to work after I made the changes I mentioned to my buddy list. Again, I hope this helps someone. Take care!
Gavrila
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at this http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=61223

it is fixed in 3.2.1 :)

Best regards.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: