Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Lila Theme Official Thread (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 41, 42, 43  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
solatis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: the Opera lila theme looks a bit different lila from the "standard" lila theme i'm using (openbox and gnome-panel) .

http://solatis3.student.utwente.nl/26.05.04.png

You guys can see what I mean ?

Is there any chance there will be an "official" lila ?

Leon Mergen
http://www.solatis.com/
9-speed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solatis wrote:
Question: the Opera lila theme looks a bit different lila from the "standard" lila theme i'm using (openbox and gnome-panel) .

http://solatis3.student.utwente.nl/26.05.04.png

You guys can see what I mean ?

Is there any chance there will be an "official" lila ?

Yes, that's because it's not a lila theme but somebody here in the forums thought it kinda looked like it. I disagree, and also think it shouldn't be on the wiki. The wiki should be reserved for theme's actually build specifically for lila.

But, I'm not the wiki maintainer, so I don't think I can deside if it should be removed or maybe put under a different section.
solatis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as long as there isn't anything better, I think it fits. I rather have this than something else... but since I'm not an artist, but rather the programming kind of person, but I really appreciate eye-candy, I would really love to see an "official" opera lila theme :)

Leon Mergen
http://www.solatis.com/
salmo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9-speed wrote:

Yes, that's because it's not a lila theme but somebody here in the forums thought it kinda looked like it. I disagree, and also think it shouldn't be on the wiki. The wiki should be reserved for theme's actually build specifically for lila.

But, I'm not the wiki maintainer, so I don't think I can deside if it should be removed or maybe put under a different section.

I don't think there's an official wiki maintainer, although I think I've been doing a lot of it or at least the adding of lila-related themes and cleaning up others submissions so they fit in with the format.

Anyway, that was my fault there, didn't look before I posted. And I think you're right, lila!=purple. It has been removed.

Feel free to let me know of any other glaring errors.
9-speed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solatis wrote:
Well, as long as there isn't anything better, I think it fits. I rather have this than something else... but since I'm not an artist, but rather the programming kind of person, but I really appreciate eye-candy, I would really love to see an "official" opera lila theme :)

Maybe, when I can find some time I'll make an opera theme. I don't know how hard it is, but I have to spend some lila time anyway as the XFce themes could use an update aswell.
motub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I love this set of themes, and I use it wherever possible, but I'm having 2 problems.

The biggest problem seems to be because I'm using Openbox 3. I can't get Lila widgets and icons to appear in normal gtk apps. Using gnome-settings-daemon does not help, even though the last theme I used under Gnome was set to use Lila icons, all I can get under Openbox is default widgets and icons. Using switch2 or gtk-chtheme does not allow me to change the icon theme, and if I can change the icon theme from within the Openbox theme config, I don't know how (the Lila Openbox themes did not change the icon theme either, but I use Anchos anyway, which is a bit more purple).

The only possiblility that I see for why this might be happening is that I'm using the ported ThinGeramik GTK theme (which matches the Lila "flower" background perfectly and saves me from having to look at a whole lot of white on my desktop, which I really don't like)-- but even though it works, the theme seems to be semi-broken. If I boot back into GNOME and try to change the window controls of my custom theme (to Amaranth, say), only part of the MDI window internals change (sorry if this is called something different under Linux, not a big theme hacker here); a large section remains green. The point being that some part of ThinGeramik (and Geramik) appear to hook into the theme in such a way that they can't be removed once invoked-- could this be affecting the icon display? (I tried changing ThinGeramik's icon scheme to Lila, but that failed, likely because I had no idea what I was doing :) ).

If there's a way to configure gnome-settings-daemon to use something other than the default widgets (and the default gkrellm theme), I'd like to know about it, as GConf-editor seems to be set correctly, and that would be where I'd have thought it was getting its settings from.

If anyone knows how to solve this, I'd be grateful.

The second problem is Gnome-Commander. It does have a facility to change the icon theme used, but the Lila icons (like most current icon schemes, in fact) are packaged in a different way than what it wants. I went to the Gnome Commander homepage and followed the Tips and Tricks section, which linked to a download of the Unscalable Gorilla icon theme. Installing that download as the icon theme for GCMD did work, and then I looked at the extracted folder and compared it to the layout of Lila (and Aqua Fusion, and Snow Apple, and you-name-it), and they're completely different.

I'm quite sure that all the icons are there, but they are named and laid out for GNOME/Nautilus use, and I'm not sure how to rename/repack them for Gnome-Commander use.

If anyone knows how I can, or wants to do it, I'd really appreciate it.

At this point, all the Lila I can use is the "flower" background, the Firebird theme, the XMMS theme and a bunch of color hacks to make everything a bit consistent. I'd really like to do better, without having to go back to GNOME.

Thanks.
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: GTK-Icons Reply with quote

Just for an FYI I'm working on adding the icons in gtk-2.0 to the Gnome-Lila-Icons set i'm almost done except have an assue with about 10 icons and fix a few things i noticed there are icons for but are not named correct or need to be copied and renamed to work for other things:-)
smithlx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salmo wrote:
9-speed wrote:

I don't think there's an official wiki maintainer, although I think I've been doing a lot of it or at least the adding of lila-related themes and cleaning up others submissions so they fit in with the format.

Could there be a place on the wiki for color variations?
I saw a post or 2 where someone asked about other colors.
I have hacked up blue and yellow already...

Quote:

motub
Posted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:33 am Post subject:
OK, I love this set of themes, and I use it wherever possible, but I'm having 2 problems.

Did you make sure you have svg support compiled in?
* gnome-base/librsvg
* media-libs/libsvg
AFAIK Open box does not change GTK settings or Icons...
Dumb question have you tried gnome-theme-manager?
Another dumb question have you installed the theme engines you need? I know I installed all kinds of gtk-theme-engines...

I use Openbox3 alot. I also have a complete install of Gnome 2.6.
It was anoying but I had to add a lot of fluff for the sake of pretty.
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently working on red, blue, and green icons they are done and i have moved the gtk icons into the icons folder and updated the iconrc i'll upload all of it as soon as i get the gtkrc stuff done for each color.

this will be a massive update to the gtk-themes package and gnome-icons package. so after i post i guess i'll need everyone else that has made gtk themes and metacity themes to hack thru it and include there work all i am doing is the stock metacity theme and the stock lila-simple gtk theme from dgt with the inclusion of the red, blue, and green icons.

I guess the other colors could be added later when the stock colors for lila expand beyond what they are already:-)
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have uploaded the updated GTK-themes, and Gnome-icons packages.

ChangeLog:
The icons in the old gtk-2.0 directory under gtk package have moved into the icons package.
I have added green, blue, and red icons.
I have updated the iconrc files to point to there respective icons and colors.
I have added the metacity theme from dgt into the gtk package and the theme.index file to show Lila as an avalable theme.

Those maintaining other themes i have not added they will need to be added into the package and maybe the colors updated for red, green, and blue.

i changed the default gtkrc file to include red, blue, and green.

the 2 packages contain:
GTK-lila-themes-all.tar.bz2
-dgt's metatheme
-updated theme.index
-updated gtkrc and iconrc files to include red, blue and green
Gnome-lila-icons-all.tar.bz2
-icons in red, blue, green, and purple

all available at or until scaba adds theme to the ebuild or until the package is updated to include other themes:

here
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snooper wrote:
I have uploaded the updated GTK-themes, and Gnome-icons packages. [...]

great! soon having a blue desktop :D

Snooper wrote:
all available at or until scaba adds theme to the ebuild or until the package is updated to include other themes:

here

i've hopefully got some spare time during the weekend to mess around with the ebuilds...

dgt84 wrote:
[...] I also wanted to mention that Industrial-Gentoo and the Gaim update is already included in the latest Lila-gtk releases, so you don't need it in the ebuild. Sorry for telling you so late! :roll:

maybe you should take the gaim-update out again, as we are going for a modular lila-artwork now and not everyone's using gaim... we need to create a gaim-ebuild anyway.
salmo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smithlx wrote:

Could there be a place on the wiki for color variations?
I saw a post or 2 where someone asked about other colors.
I have hacked up blue and yellow already...

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm all for it -- especially after seeing (probably your) screenshots. Give me URLs and I'll put together a section, just after the completed themes, unless people object.

Also, I'll help out with the ebuilds, but I don't really know anything about eclasses. I'd RTFM, but I'll be kind of busy for at least another week. But if someone makes an example that I could follow for at least one or two apps, I could help fill out the rest of the plethora.

It looks like so far we have to make ebuilds for:
artwork (backgrounds, grub)
KDE
GTK
Gnome (GDM, Nautilus, Gnome-Splash, Metacity, meta-theme) - requires lila-GTK
XFCE (Panel, XFFM, XFWM) - requires lila-GTK
Openbox
Pekwm - requires artwiz-fonts
ROX-Filer
XMMS/Beep
Gaim Smilies
aMSN
Firefox
whatever else crops up

Or at least thats what I had in my head.
citizen428
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salmo wrote:

It looks like so far we have to make ebuilds for:
XMMS/Beep
Gaim Smilies
aMSN
Firefox

Ok, there are already loads of ebuilds in the tree, and getting new ones in can take ages (see recent discussions on gentoo-dev).

How about not adding cruft, and trying to just put lila-stuff into ebuilds which are already there. There's xmms-themes, gaim-smileys and amsn-skins, why should they object on adding the lila themes? And I guess Firefox can't use an ebuild anyway, you'll have to start the .xpi from within the browser. Just einfo a message about it at the end of the artwork builds, similar as it is done at the moment.
smithlx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

salmo wrote:

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm all for it -- especially after seeing (probably your) screenshots. Give me URLs and I'll put together a section, just after the completed themes, unless people object.

Thanks Salmo...
It looks like the others will have the colors loaded up before we know it... green sounds good.
My links are as follows
Lila-Blue
http://smithlx.org/_dwnld/lila-blue-0.03.tar.bz2
Lila-Yellow
http://smithlx.org/_dwnld/lila-yellow-0.03.tar.bz2

Maybe some of the other guys would want to include some of the above in the final ebuild. I would love to contribute the stuff I put together and incorporating it into a multi color/multi openbox/gtk/gnome/icon ebuild. Have at it. [/url]
salmo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

citizen428 wrote:
...How about not adding cruft, and trying to just put lila-stuff into ebuilds which are already there...

I'm all for that. That was my impression of where the discussion left off at bugzilla (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44192). Really, I'd like to just get all this out on the table, so we can figure out how best to organize all this and get into portage without having to restructure our ebuilds 15 ways.
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:!: get the latest files some posts down the thread :!:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
experimental & incomplete modular Lila ebuilds -- for testing purposes only
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i've been playing with the eclass/ebuilds and created some of the new ones.
everything is short and simple. easy to maintain. renaming does the job as long as there are no internal changes.
but there are quiet a few ebuilds and it is a pain to dowload/digest/emerge them all.

here's the new stuff:
Lila-eclass //removed -- PORTDIR_OVERLAY/eclass
Lila-backgrounds //removed -- PORTDIR_OVERLAY/x11-themes/Lila-backgrounds
Lila-bootsplash-themes //removed -- PORTDIR_OVERLAY/x11-themes/Lila-bootsplash-themes
Lila-gaim-smilies //removed -- PORTDIR_OVERLAY/x11-themes/Lila-gaim-smilies
Lila-gdm-themes //removed -- PORTDIR_OVERLAY/x11-themes/Lila-gdm-themes
Lila-gnome-icons //removed -- PORTDIR_OVERLAY/x11-themes/Lila-gnome-icons
Lila-grub-splashimages //removed -- PORTDIR_OVERLAY/x11-themes/Lila-grub-splashimages
Lila-gtk+-themes //removed -- PORTDIR_OVERLAY/x11-themes/Lila-gtk+-themes

'Lila-gnome-icons' and 'Lila-gtk+-themes' contain the latest work Snooper uploaded. everything else was already in 'lila-artwork-0.3.3-r2'.

i simplified the eclass and renamed it (hope you don't mind, superjaded). eclass/ebuilds now need 'Lila-packagename-version.tar.bz2/gz' and inside a directory with the same name as the archive, i.e 'Lila-packagename'.

the stuff above is all repackaged accordingly and hosted on my webspace for the time being.
you ought to remove your old Lila-distfiles before digesting the new ebuilds to make sure you get the latest tarballs.

:!: i haven't tested everything as it's 01:00am and i'm going to get some sleep now...

EDIT: did a bit of testing as it's late anyway ;)
some ebuilds currently don't work...
well, actually most ebuild don't work. that's a pity, but it's just an experimental ebuild after all :roll:

Last edited by scaba on Sat May 29, 2004 10:41 am; edited 2 times in total
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, like I said, do whatever you want with them. :P Bash is not my forte, not even when I regularly scripted in it.

Although I did notice you have this set in the src_install routine:
Code:
Lila-artwork_src_install() {
   dodir ${BASEDIR}
   cp -R ${WORKDIR}/${P}/* ${D}/${BASEDIR}
}

This wouldn't work, especially for the GTK+ themes unless they've been split up and restructured. The GTK+ theme tarball currently has about four different themes in it. Installing the GTK+ theme would install it in /usr/share/themes/Lila-gtk+-0.4/{Lila,lilacurve,etc}.. this probably wouldn't work.

This is why I made the "INSTALLAS" variable.

And I would also not really recommend using capital letters in the ebuild.. I like not having to use my shift key as much as possible. ;) This is why I had the overly excessive cut statements.

Also, did you rename the GTK+ theme tarball? The last time I downloaded a Lila tarball for GTK+, it was named Lila-GTK-0.3.3.tar.bz2 or something similiar to that, which wouldn't work for an ebuild that would attempt to get Lila-gtk+-0.3.3.tar.bz2.
salmo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scaba wrote:

experimental & incomplete modular Lila ebuilds -- for testing purposes only

You're on a roll here! I'm testing them out as I type here (it's 1:00am for me now). When more of these get rolling, I can pack up a tarball that we can extract into our portage_overlays easily, since this is all I have in there.

Also, I threw together this quick and dirty bash script to cut down on repetitive ebuild/emerge commands. I'm sure there's probably a nicer way to do this, but it works for me and I'm no master of bash-fu. Warning, this may do very stupid things and totally screw up your computer, kill babies, etc.
Code:

#!/bin/bash

PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
THEMES_DIR=$PORTDIR_OVERLAY/x11-themes

case $1 in
    "digest")
    for i in `ls $THEMES_DIR | grep Lila`
      do
      echo "***$i***"
      EBUILD=`ls $THEMES_DIR/$i/*.ebuild | sort | tail -n1`
      ebuild $EBUILD digest
    done
    ;;

"emerge")
    for i in `ls $THEMES_DIR | grep Lila`
      do
      echo "***$i***"
      emerge --update --verbose x11-themes/$i
    done
    ;;

*)
    echo "choose digest or emerge"
    ;;
esac
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjaded wrote:

[...] Although I did notice you have this set in the src_install routine:
Code:
Lila-artwork_src_install() {
   dodir ${BASEDIR}
   cp -R ${WORKDIR}/${P}/* ${D}/${BASEDIR}
}

This wouldn't work, especially for the GTK+ themes unless they've been split up and restructured. The GTK+ theme tarball currently has about four different themes in it. Installing the GTK+ theme would install it in /usr/share/themes/Lila-gtk+-0.4/{Lila,lilacurve,etc}.. this probably wouldn't work.

i'm not using dgt84's Lila-gtk+-themes but the one Snooper did. same for the gnome-icons. because i repackaged the archives it actually does work. the INSTALLAS is not necessary here.

superjaded wrote:

And I would also not really recommend using capital letters in the ebuild.. I like not having to use my shift key as much as possible. ;) This is why I had the overly excessive cut statements.

yeah you're right. i fist thought about using 'lila' for everything, then i thought it's better to use 'Lila' in text and 'lila' in code, then i decided to do it the same way everywhere and used 'Lila'. now i think the second thought was the best. i will change everything accordingly. i will also go back to the "old" and shorter filenames, i.e. not 'Lila-grub-splashimages' but simply 'lila-grub'. makes things easier.

:!: eclass & ebuilds will get replaced with new versions a.s.a.p. :!:
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

things are behaving properly now :D

get the lila-gnome snapshot, extract it to your PORTDIR_OVERLAY and run salmo's script. that's it.
Code:
# ./lila-script digest && ./lila-script emerge

or you can get the eclass/ebuilds separately:

lila-eclass -- PORTDIR_OVERLAY/eclass
lila-backgrounds -- PORTDIR_OVERLAY/x11-themes/lila-backgrounds
lila-bootsplash -- PORTDIR_OVERLAY/x11-themes/lila-bootsplash
lila-smilies -- PORTDIR_OVERLAY/x11-themes/lila-smilies
lila-gdm -- PORTDIR_OVERLAY/x11-themes/lila-gdm
lila-gnome -- PORTDIR_OVERLAY/x11-themes/lila-gnome
lila-grub -- PORTDIR_OVERLAY/x11-themes/lila-grub
lila-gtk+ -- PORTDIR_OVERLAY/x11-themes/lila-gtk+

Last edited by scaba on Sun May 30, 2004 6:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the KDE ebuild? :)
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

telex4 wrote:
Where's the KDE ebuild? :)

not done yet. but i have to do some other work now. will do more ebuilds tonight or tomorrow.
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded a new metacity theme it's a bite off the ximian metacity theme but the close, restore, maximize, minimize, and menu have been lila fied:-) i'm also working on some new gtk themes as i found you can do beveled, gradient, shadow_in/out menu's and i'm sure so much more:-)
motub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please please please could the gtk themes feature some other colors (matching, of course) than white or light gray for the internal window colors?

Please???

:)
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like what colors? you know you don't have to use the base white for nautilus there are patterns available green, and purple scanlines thats what i use they are part of the wallapaper package under nautilus just drop them in /usr/share/nautilus/patterns
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 25 of 43

Jump to: