Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Lila Theme Official Thread (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 41, 42, 43  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rezza
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scaba wrote:

rezza wrote:
[...] Speaking of FTP, I can provide one if needs be at ftp.lila-theme.uni.cc with a bit of space and reasonable bandwidth. Anonymous access can be set up so we can start to have everything in one place. But if there is already a working ftp then maybe we don't need this.

it would be cool to have the ebuilds and (release-) tarballs on the lila-center site, because it's got a nice and short adress. how much webspace could you donate to the project?

I have around 500megs, 450 of which are free and available to use. My bandwidth is reasonable - as long as I don't go crazy with excessive (ie more than around 10 to 20) gigs per month it'll be fine. Actual upload speed is good, too... The only problem is my host has slightly slow DNS servers, so resolving the domain can take ~5-10 seconds. Once its resolved, though, its pretty zippy.

I can set it up pretty much anytime... either with some privelidged users or with full anonymous access.
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rezza wrote:
I have around 500megs, 450 of which are free and available to use. My bandwidth is reasonable - as long as I don't go crazy with excessive (ie more than around 10 to 20) gigs per month it'll be fine. Actual upload speed is good, too... The only problem is my host has slightly slow DNS servers, so resolving the domain can take ~5-10 seconds. Once its resolved, though, its pretty zippy.

I can set it up pretty much anytime... either with some privelidged users or with full anonymous access.

we hardly need that much webspace :wink:
i haven't experienced any slowdown in resolving the domain yet. so i guess that's pretty good as well.
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scaba wrote:
i thought the lila-cream icons would be more... ahm... caramel like. kind of. still mostly white, but with a touch of caramel (or something like that) so that they were easier to distinguish from the white icons.

actually i've been thinking of a vanilla color. dunno how the caramel got into my mind 8O
Al_bin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scaba wrote:
scaba wrote:
i thought the lila-cream icons would be more... ahm... caramel like. kind of. still mostly white, but with a touch of caramel (or something like that) so that they were easier to distinguish from the white icons.

actually i've been thinking of a vanilla color. dunno how the caramel got into my mind 8O

Hehe my mind works in the same way sometimes, :wink: The cream style is a result of messing around with colors when i made the white theme, i thout they might look good whit the cream (or creamy or something dont remember) theme for gnome but i wanted to use the milk theme.

There is no difference in color from the old white tarballs there is just more icons in the tarball.

Quote:
and oh, there are some new icons in the latest tarball dgt84 posted... would you mind? Wink

No problem but i wont have the time to do it right now. Im going to a party and i will be gone for a few days. we are going to be celebrating midsummer here in sweden. :mrgreen:
rezza
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, because lila-theme.uni.cc is an addon domain to rezza.uni.cc, I can't get anonymous access set up pointing to the right place... However, I have set up an ftp account which can be used by all for lila stuff:

server: ftp.lila-theme.uni.cc
user: lila@rezza.uni.cc (unfortunately you need the whole shebang as the username)
password: gentoo

So its free for anyone to use for lila stuff now.

(Note I will check it and remove other non-lila stuff people put up there if they think they can just use it as their own private ftp...)

The account points to http://lila-theme.uni.cc/files/ so thats where to access things once they've been uploaded.
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, i moved all the lila stuff to its new home. wiki is updated. website will be updated by rezza.
i tore most of the tarballs apart so that's now all split into different color mods.
an example: 'lila-gnome' contains the original, purple icons. 'lila-gnome-blue' is a blue mod of 'lila-gnome'. you'll notice the different version numbers. that's because the 'lila-gnome-$color' haven't been updated to the latest 'lila-gnome' yet.
if downgrading doesn't work, you should unmerge -gnome -gtk and -backgrounds prior to emerging the new ebuilds, because the version number is lower now.
please note that -gtk is not the official tarball by dgt84. the difference being that the gtk stock icons are distributed in -gnome instead and the different gtk-themes, e.g. lilacurve, lila-xfce,... are being packed together with kuala, quasi,... in a separate tarball, i.e. 'lila-gtk-extras'.
i also splitted the -backgrounds so that the wallpapers are sorted by color in there respective tarballs.

the official tarballs can be found here.

same procedure as always:
snapshot
script

see the wiki if you want to download ebuilds/tarballs individually (until the website is updated, that is).

and oh, i didn't get around to test the new stuff. digesting works fine, though :D
now i'm off to recompile my b0rked gnome...
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@scaba: great work! Sorry about the messed up version numbers... I should have been paying more attention to what you guys were doing. All I did was take my last release version++. Also, I agree with you on many of those points you listed above about the new release. This has actually been the first release where I didn't really edit any of the files I added... (and I forgot to cvs remove some files like firefox.svg, thunderbird.svg, et al).

@everyone:
I just installed librsvg-2.7.2 (with the gtk-engine, mozilla plugin, and SVG filters support). I've been playing around a bit, and check out this mod I did of the gnome-fs-directory icon: PNG | SVG
Please note that you need >=librsvg-2.7.x to be able to see the SVG, which is why I've also included the PNG for those that don't want to grab the source and build it.

I've also been putting a lot of time into svg-utils, and it's getting better and better. I also started some documentation for svg-utils, and am hoping to do a release of it all soon, but it will take some more time. You can find the (in progress) documentation at http://programmer-art.org/svg-utils

READ THIS PLEASE:
Now, I have a request to make. In about one month my household goods will be picked up by the movers (this includes my computer). They will take at least another month to get to where I'm moving (and I won't leave until 3-4 weeks after they pick up the stuff anyway), plus I need to settle myself once I'm there. I'm asking for a volunteer (or a few, whatever you like) to step up and maintain the GNOME/GTK/Metacity themes for me while I'm incapacitated. My first choice would obviously be someone like 9speed, salmo, or scaba. Anyone else is welcome to do it too, I'm just saying they have been here a while and worked on the project. I probably missed some names too, heh, we need an AUTHORS file! All the maintainer would really need to do is add new icons (making sure they at least resemble the Lila style), edit the ones that scaba pointed out, manage the cvs repo, and maybe make a release or two if we get a lot of icons. Anyway, just drop me a line on this thread, in a pm, or via email if you want the job :wink:

EDIT:
Many people have been talking of a single GTK theme to be the standard. I'm for it, if we can all more or less agree on one, but I strongly suggest we use the librsvg GTK engine since we are trying to make as much of the theme as possible out of SVG. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I haven't really played with it much yet, but I hope to do so at some point...
rezza
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the site has been updated. Please tell me of any errors in there if you spot 'em.
citizen428
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgt84 wrote:
I've also been putting a lot of time into svg-utils, and it's getting better and better. I also started some documentation for svg-utils, and am hoping to do a release of it all soon

Am I just blind, or are svgtint and svgoverlay really missing from CVS? And the last commits for the other files also 12 respecitvely 13 days old. Don't you think getting some other eyes looking on the code could help before a release? :)

Anyway, nice work on the tools and the docs so far!
dgt84
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

citizen428 wrote:
Am I just blind, or are svgtint and svgoverlay really missing from CVS?

Heh, they're not only missing from CVS, but also don't yet exist (though the functions to make them work are mostly done). Consider the docs a sort of "plan" for the actual implementation :wink:

citizen428 wrote:
And the last commits for the other files also 12 respecitvely 13 days old.

svgdump and svggrayscale are done and should be working fine. svgcolor needs some work, and the two scripts from above need to be written. The most recent changes I've been making are to the files in the svg directory, like svg/svgfile.py and svg/utils.py.

citizen428 wrote:
Don't you think getting some other eyes looking on the code could help before a release? :)

Anyway, nice work on the tools and the docs so far!

I do think eyes will help, but I also know that a true release will get many more eyes looking at the code as not everyone loves CVS. Most people don't really consider the first release of something to be "production" code anyway. That said, I probably could have done an 0.1 release a week or two ago; the way it looks now the first release will be pretty full featured. I just want to get the code working great, the docs mostly done, and do a full scale release and try to get the project some publicity and more developers. That's not much to ask now is it :roll:
9-speed
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgt84 wrote:

EDIT:
Many people have been talking of a single GTK theme to be the standard. I'm for it, if we can all more or less agree on one, but I strongly suggest we use the librsvg GTK engine since we are trying to make as much of the theme as possible out of SVG. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I haven't really played with it much yet, but I hope to do so at some point...

I think it's a good idea to implement the svg gtk theme engine. As this project is svg orientated, svg must be used a much as possible.
I couldn't find much info on the svg gtk engine though. Does anybody know any screenshots or other information available?
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have changed some permissions on the ftp server now every file uploaded will have chmod 644 appended to it so the moment it is uploaded it can be downloaded by others...

dgt is there anything on the permissions issue you want to add? i've uploaded the new lila archives but have not done anything with them yet.

and other than scaba i don't really know who is a developer and should have that username and password i sent you. i imagine the ones you leave in charge will have say over who the developers are and can hand out the user info...

i think everything is ready on it just let me know
motub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anybody else getting this error when opening random programs in the terminal:

/usr/share/themes/Lila-Purple/gtk-2.0/iconrc:102: Kan afbeelding in pixmap_pad: "scalable/stock/gaim-dialog-info.svg" niet vinden

which basically means that the gaim-dialog-info icon is not found. No surprise, because it's not there.

I can comment out the icon in the iconrc but am I behind the times? Does this icon exist (perhaps in a later ebuild than mine), or has it just slipped through the cracks?
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that was a screw up by me rename aim to gaim and that will fix it for know i imagine i'll do a huge update soon just kinda waiting to see what others are doing
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

motub wrote:
Is anybody else getting this error when opening random programs in the terminal:

/usr/share/themes/Lila-Purple/gtk-2.0/iconrc:102: Kan afbeelding in pixmap_pad: "scalable/stock/gaim-dialog-info.svg" niet vinden

which basically means that the gaim-dialog-info icon is not found. No surprise, because it's not there.

I can comment out the icon in the iconrc but am I behind the times? Does this icon exist (perhaps in a later ebuild than mine), or has it just slipped through the cracks?

'Lila-Purple' doesn't exist anymore in the latest tarball. it's just 'Lila' now. the color mods are 'Lila-$color' as before. the 'gaim-dialog-info' was fixed some time ago. you shouldn't encouter that typo anymore.
there are some glitches in the latest ebuilds/tarballs. i fixed the ebuilds (improperly set use flags in -gnome and -gtk) and the -gtk tarballs (wrong version numbers). 'lila-gnome' will be fixed soon... (missing gtk-stock icons).

EDIT: alright, uploaded the fixed stuff. everything should be working now.
new snapshot

Last edited by scaba on Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgt84 wrote:
@everyone:
I just installed librsvg-2.7.2 (with the gtk-engine, mozilla plugin, and SVG filters support). I've been playing around a bit, and check out this mod I did of the gnome-fs-directory icon: PNG | SVG
Please note that you need >=librsvg-2.7.x to be able to see the SVG, which is why I've also included the PNG for those that don't want to grab the source and build it.

wow! this looks great. no comparison to the old one.

dgt84 wrote:
READ THIS PLEASE:
[...] I'm asking for a volunteer (or a few, whatever you like) to step up and maintain the GNOME/GTK/Metacity themes for me while I'm incapacitated. [...] All the maintainer would really need to do is add new icons (making sure they at least resemble the Lila style), edit the ones that scaba pointed out, manage the cvs repo, and maybe make a release or two if we get a lot of icons. [...]

i could of course review new icons, but i wouldn't be able to edit them for good. me messing around with metacity theme propably isn't a good idea either... so i think i just stay with what i'm currently doing (or at least trying to do) and help out wherever i can.

Snooper wrote:
[...]
and other than scaba i don't really know who is a developer and should have that username and password i sent you. i imagine the ones you leave in charge will have say over who the developers are and can hand out the user info...

i think everything is ready on it just let me know

i'm not what you would call a developer. i'm merely trying to fix the bugs i'm introducing constantly :wink:

Snooper wrote:
yes that was a screw up by me rename aim to gaim and that will fix it for know i imagine i'll do a huge update soon just kinda waiting to see what others are doing

would you mind using the latest tarballs on 'lila-center.uni.cc' as a base for whatever you plan on doing? otherwise i see lots of work coming ahead...
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was my plan to use the relase tarball as a base, and make the color variations from there. i also thought it might be fun to do someother things like making a lila icon pack for ximian-openoffice, and gnome-setup-tools. maybe design "Lila Desktop" we really do need a change log though, and for dgt to pull the icons out of the gtk theme and add them to the stock folder for lila-gnome. i think it's not only easier to maintain all in one place but then it is uniform with other icon-themes...
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering with maybe a show of hands who would like the gentoo-round.svg converted into a bootsplash theme. Over the one's i am currently using. The image looks alot like the default gentoo bootsplash images?

and my other idea was to use the ones i have now and move the G over to the left and add the gentoo linux text beside it using the andover font in green then maybe adding the www.gentoo.org address and gentoo copyright info in small white to the bottom where the black bar is?

Or if anyone has anyother idea's they are welcome or other images they'd like to see. We can even set a different image for each vt. but anyway let me know....
scaba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snooper wrote:
that was my plan to use the relase tarball as a base, and make the color variations from there. i also thought it might be fun to do someother things like making a lila icon pack for ximian-openoffice, and gnome-setup-tools [...]

more icons/colors are always welcome :D

Snooper wrote:
I was wondering with maybe a show of hands who would like the gentoo-round.svg converted into a bootsplash theme. Over the one's i am currently using. The image looks alot like the default gentoo bootsplash images? [...]

i like the current bootsplash, but 'gentoo-round.svg' certainly looks very good. so why not give it go?

@salmo: i dunno if it's feasible, but i think it would be nice if the script could check if there's a new snapshot, fetch it if there is one, extract it the the PORTDIR_OVERLAY, run the digest/emerge stuff and maybe write any changes it made to a log file or something.
it would make updating to the latest lila-* very convenient if one could just put the script in a cron job and let it do all the work.
it should still be possible to run the script manually and check what's going to happen beforehand, of course.
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently working on updating the gtk red, blue, and green theme and the icons i'm in the middle of rewriting to iconrc file and moving the icons to the stock folder and out of gtk-2.0 i'll have them done in a few days:-)
telex4
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to say that I'm going to be a bit less busy in the next few weeks, and so I intend to catch up with everything and make a new KDE release.

If there's anything I need to know, now's the time to update me :)
rezza
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scaba wrote:
EDIT: alright, uploaded the fixed stuff. everything should be working now.
new snapshot

Updated the site.
Snooper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if in your snapshots your creating links from a couple thinks in apps if not you can take a look at the ChangLog on my ftp server on a few mods i have done to the icons package and gtk theme in preperation for creating the blue, green, and red icon packages and gtk themes...

added 1 new icon for gnome-mime-application-x-archive

can be seen here
gnome-mime-application-x-archive.svg

and another well 2 for gnome-mime-application-x-trash/backup.svg
gnome-mime-application-x-backup.svg

and another this one for arj archives

gnome-mime-application-x-arj.svg

and more i guess just goto:
ftp://68.92.156.235/home/chad/ thats easier:-)
makzu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that I really enjoy this icon theme. So much, in fact, that I want to help out.

I've made a "pencil" icon for LogJam, a Livejournal client that I use. Unfortunately, I don't have any reliable web space to put it up on. Should I just use the FTP server listed above (lila-theme.uni.cc) to host the icon? And where should it go?
salmo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scaba wrote:

@salmo: i dunno if it's feasible, but i think it would be nice if the script could check if there's a new snapshot, fetch it if there is one, extract it the the PORTDIR_OVERLAY, run the digest/emerge stuff and maybe write any changes it made to a log file or something.
it would make updating to the latest lila-* very convenient if one could just put the script in a cron job and let it do all the work.
it should still be possible to run the script manually and check what's going to happen beforehand, of course.

Hmmm. Interesting. I'll think about how best to do this since I've got a bit of free time this week and post whatever I come up with for testing.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 33 of 43

Jump to: