Computer STILL hard locks randomly while using my bttv card
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malakai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Computer STILL hard locks randomly while using my bttv card Reply with quote

Your telling me out of the hundreds of people with bttv tv cards, NO ONE ELSE HAS THIS PROBLEM???

I've disabled agp fast writes, used the 3.2.8 and 3.7 ati drivers, the 2.25 and 2.6.3 kernels, fixed the MTRR overwrite errors, and I STILL get hard system locks randomly while watching tv in tvtime OR xawtv. After I reboot, there is no relavent info in xfree86.0.log or in my kernel messages.

I've been working on this problem for 2 weeks, and tried dozens of things, aside from actually grabbing the newest version of xfree (I really don't want to use it till they fix the license, but I don't see another choice).

Would people with bttv cards please drop by this thread and try to give me a hand? Crashes occur no matter the windowmanager (fluxbox or xfce4), ati drivers (3.2.8 and 3.7.0), or kernel DRI drivers. I can't think of anything else to change.

The whole system locks up. The audio keeps playing fine, but the screen and picture from the tv and mouse/ect all freeze up, a hard reset is the only thing that bails me out. I've tried changing various system and bios settings to no avail. With agp8x and fast writes enabled, I get the lock within 10 minutes of using the tv card. With agp4x and no fast writes, it will sometimes go a whole day, but it still eventually hard locks on me. It's not the card itself, as it works with the default winfast pvr software AND DScaler just fine in windows.

Please, someone, know how to fix this :(
Malakai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump, still no worky
arkaine23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try installing a second kernel- perhaps of the stable 2.4 variety?
spooon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might help if you told us what card you have and what version of the bttv drivers you're using.

I've sucessfully used my ATI TV Wonder PCI and Leadtek TV2000 Deluxe with bttv 0.7.107. What parameters are you giving the bttv and tuner modules when you load them? Are you specifying the right board and tuner?
Malakai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooon wrote:
It might help if you told us what card you have and what version of the bttv drivers you're using.

I've sucessfully used my ATI TV Wonder PCI and Leadtek TV2000 Deluxe with bttv 0.7.107. What parameters are you giving the bttv and tuner modules when you load them? Are you specifying the right board and tuner?

Card is leadtek winfast tv2000/xp

Video card is radeon 9700 pro

I've used whatever bttv drivers are included in the following kernels:

2.4.25 vanilla
2.6.3 gentoo-dev-sources
2.6.4-r1-r2 mm-sources

The bttv driver autodetects my card correctly, I modified the bttv-cards.c in my kernel sources directory to autodetect the tuner as version 2 instead of the default 5.
Everything works fine for 30 seconds to 6 hours, then the pc hard locks. I have perfect video and sound, in both xawtv and tvtime. I get no locks, in fact the system is solid as a rock, without running the tv card.

I've also used:
ati-drivers 3.2.8 & 3.7.0 & 3.7.1
Kernel DRI drivers for my video card (from 2.6.3 g-d-s and 2.6.4-r1-r2 mm-sources).
I've eliminated any and all errors which appear in the XFree86.0.log file, and the dmesg or kernel/current logs. My video card used to get the video memory mis-detected with MTRR, but I have fixed that so there are no longer allocation errors, which is what I thought to be the source of the problem.

Spooon, can you provide me with details about how your tv2000/xp is running? I'm running out of things to tweak, I've spent weeks on this to no avail :( My next step will be borrowing a friends ti4600 and seeing if the tv card works with that, but that could take a week(s).
karnesky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have the same problems! My keyboard works, though xawtv & the mouse freeze. I exit x & reboot gracefully, as restarting x doesn't bring the mouse back up (or the tuner card for that matter). My card is a Matrox Marvel G400 TV. I suspect it might have to do with my usb cordless logitech mouse. When I ran it as PS/2, it didn't seem to get locked up. I recompiled the kernel & added support for my extra buttons. Mouse works fine when I'm using it, but after ~30-60 minutes of TV with no movement, it'll freeze on me. I've just had the problem for a short time. Let me know if you figure things out.
asiobob
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is of no help, but my tv2000xp card works perfectly fine. I had on the 2.4xx kernels on mandrake and the 2.6.0test11 to 2.6.3 on Gentoo (which I'm currently using).

My video card is nvidia. Could htis be a b0rked hardware problem with the tv card?
karnesky
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could htis be a b0rked hardware problem with the tv card?
Perhaps, but Malakai and I have different cards! And mine seemed to work until I changed my mouse to USB.
b3rT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same hardlocks with my hauppauge pci tv-card, when running xawtv in overlay-mode (but only, if i produce at the same time a high bus load: xawtv+(emerge sync or copy a large file ...) -> hardlock ). the only way to prevent from this stupid locks, was to use my tv-card in grabdisplay-mode. to turn off overlay by default, there is a insmod-option for bttv: no_overlay
Quote:
(Kernel-Docu)
Enable overlay on broken hardware. There are some chipsets (SIS for example) which are known to have problems with the PCI DMA push used by bttv. bttv will disable overlay by default on this hardware to avoid crashes. With this insmod option you can override this.

btw: i have no sis, but a via chipset

hth, b3rT
Slurp53
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem a long time ago when I was using an Iwill motherboard. I changed to an MSI motherboard and everything works perfectly now. Seems a lot of people were have the same problem with that Iwill board. That's been a couple of years ago now.

:) :)
aerotech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to solve this one by moving my bttv card to another slot It was sharing an IRQ with my hard drive -- That'll do it :D
berli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had similar problems with my bttv card. I have tried 2.4, 2.6 kernels. These problems seem specific to my Athlon 1.2Ghz motherboard with a KT133 chipset. My bttv card runs without fail on my Pentium-II 400Mhz motherboard.
Malakai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I managed to find the problem.

TV2000's don't like the linux kernel implimentation of APIC on uniprocessors. Disable that and recompile your kernel and everything runs peachy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: