A few questions before Installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
__Lynx__
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: A few questions before Installation Reply with quote

Hey everyone, well just basically is my first post here on the forums since I only just noticed Gentoo Linux :P
Well the questions are probably quite simple and I might already know the partial answer but I just want to make sure that I'm not going to mess up things up before I install Gentoo on my laptop ;)

Question 1

Ok so far I've been checking out the website and I could'nt really figure out which version of Gentoo is the latest. When I check the about page it says version 1.4 is the latest but when I check the Gentoo store it says that 2004.o is the latest :S So are these two the same or do I need to download the 2004 version?

Question 2

There are 3 cd's to download from what I can see, the first 2 are the installation CD's for the easyest and fastest installation right? And thus the second is the one for the base installation from the ground up?
Since I want to install Gentoo from the ground up this could save me allot of downloading :roll:

p.s. I'm moving from Slackware to Gentoo so I'm not a complete noob to Linux (just to Gentoo :P)
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: 2004.0 is the latest
2: you only need the minimal iso when you start "from the ground up"

I see you are in the Netherlands: there are quite a few Gentoo users also at the forums of www.nedlinux.nl...
__Lynx__
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers m8 thats about all the info I needed to get started with the installation, all other info is in the damn good documentation here (big change from Slackware, documentation which is up to date :P)
And I'll be sure to check that site out.

(I don't really mind the language since I've lived in Scotland for a while)
jeffrice
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions before Installation Reply with quote

Since you are building from the ground up, the version doesn't really matter. You'll end up with the most up-to-date version at the end, whether you start with 1.4 or 2004.0.

Welcome to gentoo... the version number of the distro is pretty meaningless. 'emerge -Du world' and you'll always have a piping hot new distro.
__Lynx__
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why I'm moving away from slack, it's a great distribution when you use it for a server or when you're very solid with applications but I kept getting problems with updating towards newer lib versions of gtk, glibc, etc etc that I got annoyed with it :( Thus I chose Gentoo as disto since all reviews I've read were very positive (dispite of the time it took for installing) and that the package manager is pretty good and easy to use :)

I've also tryd Debian but I think they are running behind a bit and their package manager was sort of a nightmare during installation :S (that might have just my own fault but the end result was a kernel panic at bootup)

Anyways, I'm amazed by the amount of support and documentation to this distribution. Already I've seen documents on things that took me ages to figure out under Slack so I don't think Gentoo will be a disapointment like Debian :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: