Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Starting to get kinda fed up with problems... (n00b @ linux)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZooR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Starting to get kinda fed up with problems... (n00b @ linux) Reply with quote

Hi...

I decided to try out Gentoo and I follow the excellent guide provided at gentoos homepage. I choose stages 3 and everything worked out fine. Untill reboot-time.

I got to the grub prompt and the damned thing freezes. I looked it up and found out that my laptop (HP pavilion ze4400) is kinda picky. I corrected the problem and there it went passed the grub prompt. All the prboblems out of the world I thought... but no. Here came the next problem.

It froze once more later on. I looked it up and found out what it was. Not you'd think that I didn't have to take more problems, but I did get one more.

Its like its freezes totally when I'm trying to "enter". It asks me for my login name (i did make an account earlier in the guide) but nothing happens when I'm writing anything. I'm using a Swedish keyboard so I'm guessing that could be it?? So here's my question... I cant seem to find the answer on this forum nor do I know what to do next. So any ideas on what to do?? Change the layout on the keyboard? I didnt think that it would matter that much really but now its more like the whole thing freezes up. I can still see the curson blinking on the screen but I can't write anything.... so any ideas on what to do?

Thank you for your time!
Roderik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the choice is yours, eighter you want to try your hand at gentoo, spend many hours reading these fora and the docs and have a system you like, you build and you'll never want anything else.

Or you try fedora, and have a (quite nice) working system in 30 minutes.

if you do want to stick with it, i guess the problem is your kernel, when i first tried gentoo long long ago i had to do and redo my kernel a LOT of times untill it worked as it should. I suggest you boot from the live cd, go into the chroot and recompile a kernel with genkernel that will make sure at least the default is compiled correctly.

if you think the keymap of your keyboard is wrong try it from the livecd, in /usr/share/keymaps/i386/ you can find the correct one and put it in /etc/rc.conf and/or try it with the loadkeys command from the livecd.
mastergoon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try lilo, it uses a different place in memory than grub, and perhaps grub is pissing off your laptop
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you just think you're starting to get fed up. And you'll reach new levels of fed up periodically. If you persevere, and once you're gotten a certain degree of background knowledge and get used to the paradigm, it gets better pretty quickly and you'll be over the hump. I've found it worth it several times over and it just keeps getting better and better. Stick with it and consider it a long-term plan.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Samsung m.2 NVME pcie-3.0
Etc....
cirofren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are few people who don't get fed up when they install something like Gentoo. Different computers have different problems and it can be hard.
When I first started Linux I hated it (won't say which distro, I don't want to start a flame war, for me Linux is all about choice) and have never used that distro again.
I've installed Gentoo on three out of the five systems I've ever owned, and Linux on all of them. For my Laptop (which I'm writing this from) it took me over two weeks to get my system fully working.
But I stuck with it, and the outcome is that I love Gentoo, so much in fact that I haven't used Windows in months, like many out there once I got it configured I realised that for me (and it might not be the same for you) Gentoo was all I needed, and it fulfilled my needs perfectly.

But as it's been said, if Gentoo really is giving you trouble and you don't have the time to spend however long fixing it, then use something Like Fedora or Mandrake, personally I prefer Mandrake over the two, but they are probably the two easiest OSs to set up. (I haven't done any OS installs or even used a Mac for seven years, so I could be wrong with that last bit.)

But if you do stick with Gentoo, you'll have a great system, and a great community to support you. Not to mention portage.
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell ya this. If you hate MS and you want to go the way of the Pinguin (Spelled right?), many people are with you, and installing to a laptop can be the most dificult tasks to take under. BUT!! when you get it installed you'll be quite up to date on how to install and trouble shoot linux!!!
cirofren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll tell ya this. If you hate MS and you want to go the way of the Pinguin (Spelled right?)

I believe it's "Penguin".
Also, I'd just like to point out that hating Microsoft is not, has never been, and I hope never will be a requisite of using Linux. I would never suggest to a new user that they ditch Microsoft Windows for Linux. In fact I would suggest that most users these days stick to Microsoft products for many reasons. The main being it is easier for the user to stick with what they know.
I know businesses that run Win95 with Office98, that's almost a ten year old, virtually unsupported (if not totally unsupported, but I usually find Microsoft to be rather good with tech support. With their software they have to be :wink:) operating system. But they don't need to upgrade, so there is no point spending money or time on an upgrade.
Most users are happy doing what they are.
Others want or need to use both Windows and Linux for whatever reason.

I hope you don't ever get into a situation where you are being put down because of your choice of operating system, or even worse, choice of distribution.
ZooR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll answer some of your replies below...

Quote:
the choice is yours, eighter you want to try your hand at gentoo, spend many hours reading these fora and the docs and have a system you like, you build and you'll never want anything else.

Dont get me wrong. I'm stubborn as hell and I've decided to get this Gentoo system running. I was just out of Ideas =)

Quote:
if you think the keymap of your keyboard is wrong try it from the livecd, in /usr/share/keymaps/i386/ you can find the correct one and put it in /etc/rc.conf and/or try it with the loadkeys command from the livecd.

Well the thing is this. If you've choosen an english output on a Swedish keyboard then you should actually be able to write something. The only thing is that some of the buttons has switched places on the keyboard. But you should actually be able to write anyway... I just think that my problem is odd.

Quote:
try lilo, it uses a different place in memory than grub, and perhaps grub is pissing off your laptop

I have tried out Lilo but then the problem just got worse. I couldn't even see anything after the boot-sequenze. But I could try it once more. When I added the nolapic line in the grub.conf file I solved the first problem. It might do the same thing for me now. I'll give it a shot. And by the way... The problems listed in my first reply was just "the-best-of" kinda things. I got problems directly after the install was "completed" :D

This is my first real attempt to install and try to configurate Linux. I've used Mandrake once before (think someone recommended it) but it was kinda... dont really know the word for it but I'd say "Incomplete" in some way. It worked fine for like 2 weeks untill it started to forgett the settings. And after consulting some "pro" Linux people they all said that I should stay away from Mandrake and RedHat. Which I decided to do =)

Anyway. Thanks all of you for giving trying to help anyway. Its really appreciated. [/quote]
cirofren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post your grub.conf and /etc/fstab please?

Also, what is different with your keyboard? Is it possible to obtain a US/International keyboard and take the easy way out?

Heh, sorry, I thought this was a discussion and you were getting help in other threads. I would have asked for that stuff before otherwise.
ZooR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cirofren wrote:
Can you post your grub.conf and /etc/fstab please?

Also, what is different with your keyboard? Is it possible to obtain a US/International keyboard and take the easy way out?

Heh, sorry, I thought this was a discussion and you were getting help in other threads. I would have asked for that stuff before otherwise.

No problem, sorry to misslead you =)

Here it comes.

The grub file...

The first one I wrote was this one:

Quote:
default 0
timeout 30

splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

titel=Gentoo Linux 2.4.24

root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-2.4.24 root=/dev/hda3 nolapic
initrd (hd0,0)/initrd-2.4.24

The second one (and the one I got further with) is this one. This is also the one I use at the moment.
Quote:
default 0
timeout 30

splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

titel=Gentoo Linux 2.4.24

root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-2.4.24 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/hda3 nolapic

initrd (hd0,0)/initrd-2.4.24

The fstab thing. I know I've done it but dont remember how to get a hold on the info you wants... if I change dir to /etc/fstab it says 'no such file or directory' if i do the "./fstab" it says premission denied. hehe I'm not very good at Linux YET =)
subodh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc/fstab is a file, not a drectory, trying to cd to fstab or any other file will always give you such an error. for second error permission denied, when you issue ./fstab, you are trying to excute the file program fstab. Again fstab is not a program file, error permission denied is correct.

You need to issue following command.
Code:

cat /etc/fstab

This will print the content of fstab file on your screen.
ZooR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh ok... thank you for the information!

Here's the fstab thing:

Quote:

/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
/dev/hda3 / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
cirofren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick comment before I head off (I'll look at it more later today).

Your root partition is /dev/hda3 yet you have /dev/ram0 in your grub.conf? Are you sure you're getting further with this?
Try adding a second entry to your grub file that looks the same as the most working one but with /dev/hda3 instead of ram0 and boot from that. Unless of course there is a good reason you've got ram0 as root.
ZooR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cirofren wrote:
Just a quick comment before I head off (I'll look at it more later today).

Your root partition is /dev/hda3 yet you have /dev/ram0 in your grub.conf? Are you sure you're getting further with this?
Try adding a second entry to your grub file that looks the same as the most working one but with /dev/hda3 instead of ram0 and boot from that. Unless of course there is a good reason you've got ram0 as root.

When I did what you said it freezed up much erlier... and the message I get is:

"Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03"
cirofren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to mount a compressed ram disk image on /dev/ram0 and run your root filesystem from there?
Or have you installed Gentoo onto /dev/hda3?

If you haven't installed Gentoo to /dev/ram0 I'd imagine you'd have a hard time of booting from there. I however could be wrong and you could be doing something more advanced than I'm aware of. Why did you change from hda3 to ram0?

Also, did you compile your kernel with Genkernel? I've heard that it can cause such errors.
If you did you might want to recompile your kernel by hand, don't worry it's pretty easy and there are plenty of guides around, the Gentoo install guide covers almost everything you need.
Also, don't forget that you don't need to do a reinstall, just boot the live CD, mount everything, chroot into /mnt/gentoo and recompile.

Of course if you already compiled it by hand that probably won't help at all.

Edit0:
Make sure you've selected "IDE disk support" and your lowlevel IDE type in the kernel config.
Or if your using SATA the proper options. Also, I think if you are using SATA you might have to use /dev/sda or whatever.

Edit1:
Make sure you have devfs support and mount devfs at boot in your kernel as well.
ZooR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cirofren wrote:
Are you trying to mount a compressed ram disk image on /dev/ram0 and run your root filesystem from there?
Or have you installed Gentoo onto /dev/hda3?

Dont ask me I just followed the guide step-by-step. Not sure what I've done. But I think its installed on hda3. What the ram0 thing is I couldn't tell you because I honestly dont know. As I said... step-by-step config =)

cirofren wrote:

If you haven't installed Gentoo to /dev/ram0 I'd imagine you'd have a hard time of booting from there. I however could be wrong and you could be doing something more advanced than I'm aware of. Why did you change from hda3 to ram0?

I changed it 'cause I wasn't sure about the options in the guide. I had two choices.
choice 1: Code Listing 7: grub.conf for non-GRP genkernel users
choice 2: Code Listing 6: grub.conf for GRP genkernel users

I tried them both. The I got further with the ram0 thingy so I assumed that that was the one.

cirofren wrote:

Also, did you compile your kernel with Genkernel? I've heard that it can cause such errors.
If you did you might want to recompile your kernel by hand, don't worry it's pretty easy and there are plenty of guides around, the Gentoo install guide covers almost everything you need.
Also, don't forget that you don't need to do a reinstall, just boot the live CD, mount everything, chroot into /mnt/gentoo and recompile.

Of course if you already compiled it by hand that probably won't help at all.

Yes I used the genkernel. I was told that for a n00b its was the best thing to do. Hmm... I dont even know how to compile my own kernel. If I compile it once again (and this time manually) does it overwrite the old one or do I have to make som ajustments? Second of all... how do I do it exactly? (dont want to do any mistakes). You said that the guide covers ALMOST anything I need... whats the rest then?

Anyway. Thank you once again for your interests in my problem =)
cirofren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, my advice would be to roll your own kernel and see where that gets you.
Despite what some may tell you it's actually very, very easy. I was actually shocked at how easy it was the first time I ever did it, from what I had heard it sounded like a trial by fire when it was really no harder than the rest of the install.

Something from the manual:
Quote:
Note: If you use a different partitioning scheme and/or kernel image, adjust accordingly.

I understand that as you're knew you might not know what to adjust, so that's what these forums are for. Don't worry we'll have your system working in no time :).

Firstly, after you load the live CD do lsmod and lspci. Write down what's there and try to remember it for the kernel config.

To start you need to get into your install, boot the live CD and follow these instructions:
Code:

# mount /dev/hdaX /mnt/gentoo
# mount /dev/hdaY /mnt/gentoo/boot
# mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
# cd /mnt/gentoo
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

That will get you into your previous install. Replace X and Y with the proper numbers. After that just go to this page in the manual and follow the manual install section. It's quite easy.
So you don't miss anything make sure you know what options to compile for your ethernet card, sound card, etc. That can all be found by doing some googling or searching on these forums based on the output of lsmod and lscpi.

If there's anything you don't understand don't be afraid to search for the info, if you can't find anything or don't understand the answers you find, then don't be afraid to ask.
Corp.Nobbs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you try cirofren's suggestion, try setting grub.conf to this just to see..

Code:
default 0
timeout 30

splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.4.24

root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.4.24 root=/dev/hda3 nolapic

Appart from adding /boot, I've removed the initrd entry. You only need this if you need to pre-load some kernel modules so that the rest of the system can be seen, or you want a nice bootsplash screen. I recently had problems with genkernel seemingly to screw the initrd creation and got it booting this way. I also would advocate compiling kernels manually as only you can screw it up :wink:

Oh, and I guess it's just a typo in the post you made here, but you had title=.... wrong.
120GB Barracuda SATA
Geforce 3
ZooR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in my reply...

I was going to look my settings in the grub file. And ALL(!) the settings seems to have dissappeard. I've opened the file lots of times and now everything is gone. I have absolutly NO explanation for whats happened. This this make any kind of sence? Looks like everything has been set to default. rc.conf is just as it was when I started to change it. (=all default values)

Now to my seconds question... do I have to do it all over?
cirofren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very strange for such a thing to happen, unless you updated everything with emerge -u world and had it auto-overwrite config files.
Are you sure you're looking in the right place?
Also, I'm assuming that as you can't boot your system you're making all these changes from the Gentoo LiveCD or Knoppix, is this correct?
ZooR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cirofren wrote:
It's very strange for such a thing to happen, unless you updated everything with emerge -u world and had it auto-overwrite config files.
Are you sure you're looking in the right place?
Also, I'm assuming that as you can't boot your system you're making all these changes from the Gentoo LiveCD or Knoppix, is this correct?

100% sure I'm looking in the right places... And I did not use emerge.

Yes I'm making these changes through the Gentoo LiveCD.
cirofren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, set everything to what it should be in /etc/fstab and grub.conf based on the posts in this thread and what you know about yous system and see if you can boot. If not follow the instructions for compiling the kernel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: