Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Windows crash destroyed my linux partitions.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Windows crash destroyed my linux partitions. Reply with quote

one of my computers dual boots to windows 98 so i can play games, and as i was playing on it a few nights ago, it crashed hard.. big surprise :). so i just turned it off not really worrying about it, because i was in windows, and i care very little about the data there.
However to my surprise, when i turned the machine of, it came up with a grub error 17, which is a cannot boot partition error, now that made me a little worried, so i went and got my trusty livecd and proceded to boot up that.
my partition structure was as follows:
hda1 = 40gig windows(fat32)
hda2 = 100meg ext3 boot
hda3 = 512 swap
hda4 = 40gig reiserfs root
i can mount the windows partition fine and the data there appears unscathed
however both the boot directory and my root partition are both scrambled i tried fsck.ext3 and reiserfsck but neither worked.
some of the data there is quite important, otherwise i would just wipe it and start clean :/, so i would like to recover it if possible.
does anyone have any ideas?
dvc5
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about your ext3 partition, but you can try reiserfsck on your root partition. Unfortunately I had a reiserfs crash about 5 months ago and when I used reiserfsck to fix it, it dumped everything in journal-numbered folders in my /lost+found/ directory. So if it does that for you, just look in that directory. You'll have to rename and move the folders back based on what's inside them, since they'll be labeled by journal-tags.

Green Is Good
truekaiser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it might of screwed with your mbr, i have had that happen before on my windows desktop. a crash and a bad one at that if it related to the hard disks it might blow the mbr. though it might just be me because i am useing the nforce2 ide drivers....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: