View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raylpc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Trick to get left-handed mouse to work in 2.6 Reply with quote

I just upgraded to 2.6 this week. There was one annoying problem - I can't set my mouse left-handed anymore. There would be a clash between the left and right button (1 and 3). When I pressed the right button, it would think I'm pressing both at the same time. I am using a laptop with a USB mouse so in my XFree86, I have my USB as corepointer and my touchpad as alwaysCore. [edit] SendCoreEvent has the same effect [/edit]

The trick is to comment out the touchpad alwaysCore line in /etc/X11/XFree86. Now I can use the USB mouse as left-handed and the touchpad is still working. It's weird but this solved the problem. Hope it helps left-handed ppl using a USB mouse in a laptop with 2.6 kernel. :)

Last edited by raylpc on Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilotino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Trick to get left-handed mouse to work in 2.6 Reply with quote

raylpc wrote:

The trick is to comment out the touchpad alwaysCore line in /etc/X11/XFree86. Now I can use the USB mouse as left-handed and the touchpad is still working. It's weird but this solved the problem. Hope it helps left-handed ppl using a USB mouse in a laptop with 2.6 kernel. :)

Same problem here, but I don't have an AlwaysCore line at all. My input devices in the ServerLayout section are:
InputDevice "Logitech" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "TrackPoint" "SendCoreEvents"
This used to work fine under 2.4 but now I can't use the left-handed mouse.

What do yours look like?

Pilo
raylpc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the 2.6 kernel can only handle one mouse. I guess your Logitech is a USB mouse, right? You need comment out the SendCoreEvents line and keep the CorePointer line. Then you can use left-handed mouse again. Also the TrackPoint should work although we comment out it from the XFree86Config.

I guess the 2.6 kernel deals with touchpad or trackpoint internally, so if we added it in XFree86Config, there would be a conflict. Just my guess.
pilotino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raylpc wrote:
It seems that the 2.6 kernel can only handle one mouse. I guess your Logitech is a USB mouse, right? You need comment out the SendCoreEvents line and keep the CorePointer line. Then you can use left-handed mouse again. Also the TrackPoint should work although we comment out it from the XFree86Config.

Yes, it's a Logitech wireless mouse.
Indeed it seems to work as you say: commenting out the TrackPoint leaves it useable and the left-hand problem goes away.
Thanks!

Pilo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: