gentoo on powerbook g4 12"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aallmighty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: gentoo on powerbook g4 12" Reply with quote

I will soon be inheriting a powerbook g4 12" 1ghz i believe. It seems that all of these have the nvidia graphics chipset. From what I've read, it seems like you cannot get 3d acceleration for this card under linux. Is this correct? Would I be able get it to play run x, play dvds, etc. I would really MUCH rather run linux on this machine, however I want it to be able to use it with x, not just console. Is there any hope for 3d drivers for the nvidia on ppc? Also, I would much rather use mol than making the system dual boot. Will I be able to get this to work correctly? I am just looking to find out what I will and will not be able to do, and whether or not it is worth it to attempt to make it a gentoo machine. Thanks guys.
eichi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get 3d acceleration in the near future :-( 2d is quite ok. I run KDE 3.2 on my albook 12", 1GHz with 768 MByte of RAM. View DVD's with ogle and/or xine. Mol works too, but you need the most recent version (mol-0.9.70_rc2).
If you want to use an external monitor/beamer, you'll have to stick with MacOX. The builtin wlan card will not run either under any flavor of linux.

Give it a go ;-)
aallmighty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the information...

so there is no hope for wireless under linux with this laptop? Also, how good is mol. Could you run OSX and know the difference? Thanks again.
DrACoNuS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an iBook G4 12" w/ an Airport Extreme (not supported). I just picked up an SMC 2662W USB wifi adapter for $40 and I just use it when im booted into linux works great. Perhaps you should consider selling the PB and buying one of these new ibooks. They have an ATI graphics chip so you get 3D accel! Only device not supported is my Airport Extreme.
Immortal Q
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrACoNuS wrote:
I have an iBook G4 12" w/ an Airport Extreme (not supported). I just picked up an SMC 2662W USB wifi adapter for $40 and I just use it when im booted into linux works great. Perhaps you should consider selling the PB and buying one of these new ibooks. They have an ATI graphics chip so you get 3D accel! Only device not supported is my Airport Extreme.

From a Linux/PPC - only perspective, swapping for an iBook might make sense, but if you plan on using OSX very often, you might want to stick with the PB.
aallmighty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info... what about mol? with that can i use the osx partition from within linux? how well does it work? thanks
pat2man
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aallmighty wrote:
thanks for the info... what about mol? with that can i use the osx partition from within linux? how well does it work? thanks

Mol Works Fine and you can access the Mac OS X partition withouth MOL installed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: