The missing install step: email delivery with ssmtp
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aplesch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: The missing install step: email delivery with ssmtp Reply with quote

I had a rough week because all of my sent mail disappeared. The reason was that the default MTA (ssmtp, not sendmail !) was not set up. For any non webmail users this is an essential and very necessary but fortunately easy step.

Just open /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf and edit the mailhub line so it points to your provider. I also uncommented the
FromLineOverride=YES
line since I do not want to receive email addressed directly to my workstation.

This note should mostly serve as a reminder to think about ssmtp right during installation. In my opinion it deserves a couple of lines similar to those above in the officail installation guide.
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm, is ssmtp a replacement for sendmail? i'n not using webmail and i'm not using ssmtp/sendmail and everything just works fine! why exatcly do you use/need it?

tom
Squinky86
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elektrohirn wrote:
hm, is ssmtp a replacement for sendmail? i'n not using webmail and i'm not using ssmtp/sendmail and everything just works fine! why exatcly do you use/need it?

tom

Ssmtp is a sendmail-like program in that it delivers email to another relay (like an smtp server) without having a daemon process running on your client. I use it on all my desktops to send email to my server which is running postfix as its mta, which in turn sends the email to my ISP's smtp server and out to the world. It's a great way to keep extra processes from running in your background.
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, but why? what is the advantage over just sending your email directly to your isp's smtp with mozilla mail, evolution, kmail or whatever?

tom
Squinky86
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main purpose is for custom scripts I have running in crontab- i like them to send me email when they run.

ex:
# emerge -upv world | sendmail me@mydomain.ltd
aplesch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some mail programs (socalled MUAs, see http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?MUA) traditionally do not deliver mail by themselves but rely on sendmail (the MTA). Such programs include elm,pine,mail or the emacs mail modes including vm which is what I use. Most can now be set up to use their own MTA but I am used to sendmail. The full sendmail (not ssmtp) also does routing, looking for the right place to deliver the mail to.
lduperval
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason:

My ISP requires authentication from me in order to send email. I use Pan (a newsreader) with a user address from a domain that is different than my ISP's. Pan doesn't support user/password authentication when sending email. So I need to do it artificiaolly.

SSmtp is one way to do it.

L
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: