what stage to use w/ Pentium M processor
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brent_weaver
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: what stage to use w/ Pentium M processor Reply with quote

I am installing G2 2005.0 on a Pentium M Dell laptop. I have read where people are successfully running G2 on this model (Dell Lattitude D600). What stage should I use?

Last edited by brent_weaver on Tue May 10, 2005 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rad
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The x86 Stage 1 and optimize for pentium4 if you can leave the machine running (compiling) for a longer while.
Stage 3 (most likely you want the one for pentium4) if you just wanna load some binaries. Note that the first update will compile many of the packages you'd have compiled in stage1 too nevertheless, as they mostly have been updated.

Be sure to use the 2005.0 releases and read the manual. 'n get some coffee if you drink that. :D

EDIT: I forgot to mention this: The mobile extensions on your cpu and mainboard are gonna be supported by the kernel and some user space programs; as they're not implementing some special CPU extensions to speed up your machine (like mmx or sse), they're not relevant when compiling...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: