Won't boot!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhawk_one
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Won't boot! Reply with quote

I've played with this &^^% thing for the last 3 days and worked all day today trying to get the ^&&^% thing to boot and it stops with the
Quote:
ERROR 15
thingy.

This all started when I decided to do an
Quote:
emerge -U world
4 days ago and it "upgraded" (yea this is a joke) to
Quote:
genkernel 3.0??
. This in itself wasn't a problem (yea, I should have read the changelog - IMPORTANT LESSON HERE!) but when I tried to recompile my 2.4.20-gentoo-r6 kernel so that I could try and get my pda to work (it's a Clie SJ22 - nother topic) all "he-double hockey sticks" broke out! Needless to say the old command in cd /usr/src/linux
Quote:
genkernel --config
didn't cut it with the "NEW & IMPROVED<?>" genkernel.

Anyway, after reading numerous posts about the "NEW & IMPROVED<?>" genkernel I decided to downgrade to version 1.8. This didn't fix the problem as it was running into compile errors (probably left over for the "NEW & IMPROVED<?>" genkernel, as I never had them before, and after reading some more posts, I decided to re-emerge my kernel. Well, strangely enough it couldn't find my particular brand of the kernel in my /usr/portage/sys-kernel directory. So as the
Quote:
emerge -U world
had recommended, I "upgraded" to kernel 2.4.22-r7. This wasn't a problem, everything SEEMED to go alright and then when I ran genkernel everything seemed to be back to normal. I told the kernel that I wanted to have the USB-->Serial convertor for Visor/Palm/Sony Clie and it SEEMED to compile eveything just fine. Putting my kernel and initrd in it's proper place, complete with system map etc. All I had to do was change my "grub.conf" file to match my kernel and initrd and all would be hunky and dory right? Well I did this and since it was 2AM and I had to go to work the next morning at 6 I decided to shut it down for the night. Well imagine my surprise when I came home the next evening hoping to start playing with my pda in linux and the &**^* gave me a black screen!!!!!!!!!!!! Hitting the up arrow key and then return would give me a striped barely readable screen with what appeared to be my old boot menu. If I up arrow to "Gentoo" and hit return I get (bare with me as I can barely read it)
Quote:
kernel (hd1,0)/boot/kernel-2.4.22-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/hdb3
initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd-2.4.22-gentoo-r7

Error 15 - File not found!

Yes, as you may have noticed, I have a 2 drive system with Gentoo owning it's own drive - the second. The first drive is occupied by that very stable Win XP Pro. This system WAS working! If you look at the "grub.conf" explanation in the "
Quote:
Gentoo Linux 1.4 Installation Instructions
" You'll see my config exactly. I repeat It was working! Now mind you it needed a LOT of tweaking to get up to the functionality of even "Fedora", let alone Windows, but it was working! I had conquered sound, CUPS, Nvidia etc. It was working!

That was 3 days ago and I'm so darn discouraged that I could just scream. I've read about every post on here and tried every one that is different regarding "grub" that I can find. The only complaint that grub gives me when I grub> setup (hd0) is that it can't find "/boot/stage1" However it finds it in "/boot/grub/stage1" and ends with no errors?

The only thing I haven't tried is the 1 "solution" where you allow XP's bootloader to handle the boot process. But it is the ONLY solution in these forums regarding "booting with grub" that I haven't tried. Did I mention that it had worked for over a month? And that was with a LOT of kernel messing with (only one kernel though) and lots of emerging. Yes, I was even digging the gaming scene. "VegaStrike" looks like it could become my favorite past time and now I can't get the damn thing to work again. Did I mention I'm discouraged?

Any Ideas? I'm going to put on another pot of coffee for another late night trying to get Gentoo to play nice. I could be doing something constructive in Windows but nooooooo, I have this urge!

Thanks guys for taking the time to read this novel and any help you can offer.

John "tired of being a noooooob" Hawkins

PS Did I mention it HAD been working?
ryanCD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really follow what's going on exactly. So: Grub is setup somewhere on hda1 while /boot is actually on hdb1, or something like that? It would probably be more reliable if you just set your bios to boot hdb, and have grub on hdb1, then your gubbing would be
Code:
root (hd1,0)
setup (hd1)
quit

Also, make sure you've mounted /boot before you copy your kernel image, initrd, System.map, and whatever else there. If you're using a standard-ish setup, grub won't see it otherwise.

If neither of these things are your problem, you should probably post your grub.conf, and exactly what you typed into grub (which should just be a few lines)

;; The rest is unsolicited advice, and a rant in its own right, so take it or leave it.

I'd recommend not using genkernel. Just "lsmod" as root, and only enable those modules listed next time you compile your kernel, then you can forget about initrd, you'll boot faster, the kernel will compile a crap ton faster and you'll be a generally happier, better adjusted person.

If you really want help, you should just post pertinant information to a single problem. The main reasons I read your post was 1) I'm bored, and don't have time at the moment to accomplish anything and 2) I like rants. However, a relatively small fraction of people fall into those catigories, so if you want more volume and quality of responses, narrow it down. Also, Linux people can get pissed if you slight their distro, let alone compair it disfavorably to windows.

Finally, if you plan to be a desktop linux user, you're probably some sort of developer or serious hobbiest. Linux is great, but it's a giant pain in the ass to setup compaired to Windows (of course windows has it's own caviates, but for basic end user type setup, it's mostly just better), and if you just dig vega-strike, just get the windows version. So, ask your self if this kind of hassel is something you can enjoy, or at least put up with, because something just as bad will happend again. Learn a programming language or two too, if you haven't already. It makes it much easier to pretend you're on your way to accomplishing something that way.

And chill.
jhawk_one
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Hey thanx.. Reply with quote

1) I can't remember the error I get when I try to
Quote:
setup (hd1)
but it's not good. I only tried it once. I really shouldn't have to go that route though as it WAS working?!

2) Yes, /boot was/has been mounted each and every time I've tried to do grub it.

3) I would have to type my grub.conf in again by hand from here (I'm on another machine at the moment) or boot the liveCD, access the net and copy and paste. It is exactly like is shown in the installation manual though except for the different drive setup. It was working fine, I changed nothing in the grub config except to change the "kernel and initrd" lines to reflect the appropriate "new" kernels and initrd's." There are no syntax errors as I only had to change "20-gentoo-r6 to 22-gentoo-r7" in both lines.

4) Actually I have compiled the kernel the old fashion way ie. make menuconfig etc but genkernel just seems more stream lined. Like I "intimated" in my original post <read novel> "NEW & IMPROVED genkernel." To many options. I like the old adage of K.I.S.S. - keep it simple stupid.

5) Yea, I know about the diss-ing the distro thing. I started out as an old Amiga nut! 8^)

6) Yes, you did guess that I enjoy slugging around a little code.

7) Did I sound that wired? Shoot, I hadn't even had my 2nd pot of coffee yet!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
John

OBTW - I am a hobbiest and would like to be to use windows inside of linux. I generally like the stability of the OS - like I said, it WAS working fine. I've never had this problem before? I have went to through several distros --> Gentoo because of the optimization issues and I like the "emerge" way of doing it. My first distro of linux was Caldera, way back in the mid-nineties.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: