View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultraslacker
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Konsole Linux Font Not Found Reply with quote

When I select Linux as font in konsole, the following message appears:

Quote:
Font
`-misc-console-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-160-iso10646-1' not found.
Check README.linux.console for help.

Cannot locate the README, I guess it is with the source, but damned if I know which - kdelibs?

This font was available to me before I installed fluxbox, new icons (IcOSX), mosfet-liquid. Now I cannot find any reference to misc-console within the font files. I've tried starting x and specifying the dpi (thinking it wasn't finding the font because of some vga quirk), no luck.

Where oh where has the linux font gone?
garo
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:57 pm    Post subject: Same problem here... Reply with quote

I have the same problem, but i didn't install anything except kde3.
Please tell me when you have a solution...
pdouble
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that font in /usr/kde/cvs/share/fonts and /usr/kde/3/share/fonts. I tried adding it to my /etc/X11/XF86Config and /etc/X11/fs/config, but to no avail. The font spec is the same on as in the fonts.dir file, so I'm not sure what's going on. I did restart the X server and the directory showed in the font path.
edave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Old topic, but still... Reply with quote

You need to add the fontpath from within KDE. That did the trick for me. Try "kcmshell kcmfontinst" as root and add the fonts contained in the /usr/kde/cvs/share or /usr/kde/3/share/fonts directory as appropriate.

/d
jackp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ran into the same problem too after emerging qt-3.2.3. I don't know if this is what finally fixed it or not, but you might want to give it a shot. Add
Code:
<dir>/usr/kde/[KDEVERSION]/share/fonts</dir>

to your /etc/fonts/fonts.conf. I know you're not *supposed* to modify that file so maybe that might even work in /etc/fonts/local.conf. Remember to run 'fc-cache -v' after modifying the file and restart X to be sure (though I don't think that is necessary).
zentec
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Gave Up on Konsole, Used Xterm Reply with quote

From my experimenting, this will work best if you have the fonts installed in /opt/kde as well as having anti-aliasing enabled. Bad news is, KDE doesn't tell you whether or not it's actually doing that.

So I just used Xterm to create a session that uses the Linux font. The command I used is

/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -fn '-misc-console-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-160-iso10646-1' -bc -cr green -fg gray -bg black -rightbar -sl 900
zentec
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Same with Eterm Reply with quote

I never liked the scrolling with xterm, so upon emerging eterm, I experimented with the settings and found these to be reasonably similar to the konsole we all know and love. Advantage is that this works under gnome.

/usr/bin/eterm -b 0 -f 7 -c green -F '-misc-console-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-160-iso10646-1' -p 0 -l
DArt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackp wrote:
i ran into the same problem too after emerging qt-3.2.3. I don't know if this is what finally fixed it or not, but you might want to give it a shot. Add
Code:
<dir>/usr/kde/[KDEVERSION]/share/fonts</dir>

to your /etc/fonts/fonts.conf. I know you're not *supposed* to modify that file so maybe that might even work in /etc/fonts/local.conf. Remember to run 'fc-cache -v' after modifying the file and restart X to be sure (though I don't think that is necessary).

(I've got same problem after emerging qt3.3)
It's working if you put it in /etc/fonts/local.conf :wink:
And, it's not necessary to restart X :D
mpalladi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Control Centre, System Administration , Font Installer (Administrator mode ), create a new font folder called kde ( whatever you like ), and add the fonts in <dir>/usr/kde/[KDEVERSION]/share/fonts</dir>

saves messing around
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpalladi wrote:
Go to Control Centre, System Administration , Font Installer (Administrator mode ), create a new font folder called kde ( whatever you like ), and add the fonts in <dir>/usr/kde/[KDEVERSION]/share/fonts</dir>

this directory has only this much in there:

Code:
9x15.pcf.gz  console8x16.pcf.gz  console8x8.pcf.gz  fonts.dir  override/

which package installs fonts in /usr/kde/3.2/share/fonts? I used the font installer to install few TT fonts like vera etc. All other applications see those fonts but konsole doesn't. Why?
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone?
nahpets
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the fonts to work properly by doing the following:

Quote:

1. add "/usr/kde/3.2/share/fonts" to "/etc/X11/XF86config" and "/etc/X11/fs/config".

2. restart X Font Server # /etc/init.d/xfs restart

3. restart X using "atl-ctrl-backspace"

When you restart XFS, you should see a message similar to "indexing /usr/kde/3.2/share/fonts".
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another twist to the story here. If your Xserver (like in Xvnc) doesn't support RENDER extension, although it is built into Xft, QT 3.2 won't display AA fonts. konsole will never see them. Upgrade to QT3.3 to see AA fonts in KDE if your Xserver doesn't have RENDER extension.

gtk+ was first on this one!!
eccles23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**edave** you are an absolute legend!!!!

that worked perfectly for me first time...
I read all the suggestions in this thread and in a couple of others on this same problem, and your solution was the one I tried last (although I guess by definition the first solution that works is going to be the last that you try ;)

but yeah - I kinda ignored it because it sounded too simple... and it just worked beautifully. no KDE restart... nothing.

I just clicked the 'add fonts' button, added the fonts from /usr/kde/3.2/share/fonts and clicked close...

then opened a console and bingo - no problems.

thanks again :D
crazee_canuck
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although edave's solution didn't work for me,adding
Code:

<dir>/usr/kde/3.4/share/fonts</dir>

..then running `fc-cache -fv`as root and restarting xfs & kdm did the trick for me.
adam_z
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adesso provo e speriamo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: