First of all, hi! :)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormcrowley
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: Sacramento, California, United States, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: First of all, hi! :) Reply with quote

I burned a copy of the LiveCD a week ago, and I've spent the last week installing, compiling, and configuring Gentoo.

Since I came from Windows from a usability standpoint, this is going to take some getting used to. However, the theory and philosophy behind linux in general, and Gentoo in particular, are going to keep me with this OS, and this distribution.

However, there are many, many things I need to learn about linux and how to use it properly; so many in fact, that I'm not sure where I should start.

Do any of you have any recommendations for books I should buy to help me get started, or what documention on the internet I should read about first, for a newbie?

Thank you very much in advance.
BWoso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always read the Gentoo docs at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml , if you scroll down you will see the many docs which if you read them all it will keep you very busy for a very long time. You can also just go through and read posts in the forms, there is a lot of information in them. Have fun and welcome to the best OS around

The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.
-Mark Twain-
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a book for windows, which changes every 2 years or so. Linux is developped all the time by everyone who wants. Efforts are made every day. So your linux book would never be up to date.

Stick to this forum. It is the best.
stormcrowley
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: Sacramento, California, United States, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, and I've given quite a few of them a pretty thorough read; I've even printed out the installation guide, Portage guide, and Desktop installation guide and put them in a binder. :)

However, since pretty much everything about linux is new to me, do you have any suggestions on where to look for basic UNIX commands, the theory and practice about how things are organized and setup, and so forth?

Ritman wrote:
Stick to this forum. It is the best.

Well, as long as nobody minds some truly newbish questions every once in a while. :D
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try
Code:
man man
man 1 intro
info

Also run makewhatis and then man -k keyword

Lastly there's a pile of stuff in /usr/share/doc/* that'll need decompessing (zmore for this)

Also, google and http://www.tldp.org/ are valuable.

R!tman has the truth of it though. Linux is very much a moving target and dead tree ware is always going to fall a little short. I could be tempted to look at the Nutshell guide published by O'Reilly
stormcrowley
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that should work out nicely. I'll try that when I get home. :)

I must say though, the community here has impressed me greatly. When I had trouble installing some parts of Gentoo (alsa, for one), searching the forums here showed me precisely what to try and do. It worked. :)

Thank you again to all who've responded, and thank you to the writers/admins of gentoo for a wonderful implementation of a wonderful OS.
MacMasta
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to give yourself a project.

Just trying to "learn the system" won't work; it's too deep, too layered, and changing too quickly. Pick something you want to do ("make my bash prompt prettier" or "set up spam filtering" or "host a website" or "host a forum", say) and then use all the resources just mentioned to make it happen.

~Mac~
stormcrowley
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacMasta wrote:
My advice is to give yourself a project.

Just trying to "learn the system" won't work; it's too deep, too layered, and changing too quickly. Pick something you want to do ("make my bash prompt prettier" or "set up spam filtering" or "host a website" or "host a forum", say) and then use all the resources just mentioned to make it happen.

~Mac~

Actually, that's an excellent idea. Instead of looking at the larger whole, look at it in pieces, and go from there.

I just hope that you won't mind too many silly questions if I get stuck. :)
MacMasta
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We won't mind at all.

Y'think I got to <insert however posts I have now> just by _answering_ questions?

No sir.

~Mac~

EDIT: Good grief I have a lot of posts...wow...
Abraxas
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormcrowley wrote:
Actually, that's an excellent idea. Instead of looking at the larger whole, look at it in pieces, and go from there.

I just hope that you won't mind too many silly questions if I get stuck. :)

It really is the best way. It's a lot more fun and rewarding to learn as you need to. It gets boring and hard to understand as a beginner if you are just reading books and documentation for the heck of it. As you want to do more and more with your computer you will need to know more and more about it. Eventually you will HAVE to learn and that's when it's fun. Just swing by the forums and search for your answer. Most of them have been answered already as you may have noticed and if not, just ask a question, the gentoo forums are the friendliest place to be.
stormcrowley
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
It really is the best way. It's a lot more fun and rewarding to learn as you need to. It gets boring and hard to understand as a beginner if you are just reading books and documentation for the heck of it. As you want to do more and more with your computer you will need to know more and more about it. Eventually you will HAVE to learn and that's when it's fun.

This I've notived already. For instance, My ATI Rage uses the vesa drivers, and not it's native ones, though I've seen that ATI's drivers are rather shoddy, if the posts here are any indication. ;)

Abraxas wrote:
Just swing by the forums and search for your answer. Most of them have been answered already as you may have noticed and if not, just ask a question, the gentoo forums are the friendliest place to be.

Yeah, that's how I got alsa working, as well as getting past stage one (for pure bragging rights; I know).

Heh.

My thanks to all!
buddho
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also recommend http://www.tldp.org/ as well as this forum and google. It's how I learned and how I'm still learning. I've found books are a waste of money when it comes to Linux, the on-line documentation is that good. By the way, I do read books for other stuff including computer type stuff. I have bought and read Linux books before, but not anymore. The on-line archive is excellent.
lord_nimula
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off-topic, but humorous:
Quote:

It was absolutely marvelous working for Pauli. You could ask him anything. There was no worry that he would think that a particular question was stupid, since he thought all questions were stupid. -- Victor Weisskopf

Have no fear asking questions; no one is born with the sacred knowledge of how to use a computer, or OS, or jackhammer, or any other tool.

--Lord Nimula
buddho
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only true geniuses can be that arrogant and get away with it!

Actually people of Pauli's callibre probably weren't being arrogant. They just couldn't understand how the rest of us could be so stupid.
teutzz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the search botton on top of this page is your best friend; and when you run out of ideas of what you can do to improve your linux box just browse the forums (you'll find something new in every post)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: