Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Advice: What's the best linux MP3 player?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glawrie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Advice: What's the best linux MP3 player? Reply with quote

I have a large collection of MP3s dumped down from my CD collection, most are recorded using high rate VBR, a few are MP3pro and the rest high bit rate CBR (e.g. 192Kbps or better).

I have a dual boot XP / Gentoo dev-sources 2.6.3 machine (AMD XP2400 on an ASUS A7V8X-X Mobo). I use iTunes and MusicMatch when running the machine in Windows XP (mostly iTunes).

Having finally got some sort of sound out of the SPDIF port (the A7V8X-X has an Analog 1980 based sound processor built in) I'm keen to get a similar MP3 experience when working with the machine running in Gentoo.

I'm not greatly happy with the basic mp3 players that appear with KDE / Gnome (I use Gnome mostly) - I'd like to use something that has more of the functionality of MM / iTunes (e.g. track ratings and play-frequency counts, multiple play lists, ability to show artwork if embedded in mp3 etc). I'm also keen to get as good a sound quality as possible - e.g. I am not sure if it is just subjective, but I am pretty sure that tracks played back using MusicMatch play better than with iTunes... but iTunes has a better UI...

So - do you have any suggestions what I should look at?

Regards

Gavin Lawrie
KingTaco
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice: What's the best linux MP3 player? Reply with quote

glawrie wrote:
I have a large collection of MP3s dumped down from my CD collection, most are recorded using high rate VBR, a few are MP3pro and the rest high bit rate CBR (e.g. 192Kbps or better).

I have a dual boot XP / Gentoo dev-sources 2.6.3 machine (AMD XP2400 on an ASUS A7V8X-X Mobo). I use iTunes and MusicMatch when running the machine in Windows XP (mostly iTunes).

Having finally got some sort of sound out of the SPDIF port (the A7V8X-X has an Analog 1980 based sound processor built it) I'm keen to get a similar MP3 experience when working with the machine running in Gentoo.

I'm not greatly happy with the basic mp3 players that appear with KDE / Gnome (I use Gnome mostly) - I'd like to use something that has more of the functionality of MM / iTunes (e.g. track ratings and play-frequency counts, multiple play lists, ability to show artwork if embedded in mp3 etc).

Regards

Gavin Lawrie

I use xmms, and strongly recommend it. xmms is a opensource clone of winamp.
hermes_jr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I know, xmms is the most popular music player for Linux... Of cource I use it :) xmms is opensource project, so it's possible to write extensions yourself... Also there is a huge collection of plugins on http://www.xmms.org/
ed0n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- XMMS -

No need to be anything else :)
stephen.austin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a plugin for xmms that allows you to have a music library? similar to MM, a list of all the songs on your PC which you can sort by artist, album, track etc.

As it stands with out of the box funtionality, I prefer the CLI mpg123 over xmms, dunno why, it just appeals :D

Steve

Comments & Criticism welcome! :)
Qball
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd. Its just great.
dreas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice: What's the best linux MP3 player? Reply with quote

glawrie wrote:
I'm not greatly happy with the basic mp3 players that appear with KDE / Gnome (I use Gnome mostly) - I'd like to use something that has more of the functionality of MM / iTunes (e.g. track ratings and play-frequency counts, multiple play lists, ability to show artwork if embedded in mp3 etc). I'm also keen to get as good a sound quality as possible - e.g. I am not sure if it is just subjective, but I am pretty sure that tracks played back using MusicMatch play better than with iTunes... but iTunes has a better UI...

Forget about XMMS, it's not what you're aiming for.

I'd recommend either Rhythmbox or Musik. I currently use Rhythmbox and besides the daily crashes I really like it. I'll have to see if Musik is more stable but I doubt it.

Oh, and both should offer features you'd like.
hermes_jr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhythmbox is ugly and crashes every five minutes :D I used it once and that's enough to understand that it's not a good choice... (maybe just for me)
dreas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hermes_jr wrote:
Rhythmbox is ugly and crashes every five minutes :D I used it once and that's enough to understand that it's not a good choice... (maybe just for me)

Well, it's not very stable but it ain't crash every 5 minutes. It frequently crashes when adding new songs to a playlist but other than that it works like a charm.
asianboi2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just install xmmplayer it should intergrate mplayer and XMMs. That's all you need for video and audio.
idkwiam187
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I use Zinf, formerly known as Freeamp. It has a library part of it that sorts by artist, keeps track of playlists, but unfortunately does not have track rating or frequency count features. Comparing XMMS, which I used to use, and Zinf I favored Zinf because it at least had the library. That's just my personal preference though.

The best advice would be to try the ones that sound most appealing by descriptions on the package database here (or on the home sites of the players themselves) and see which one you prefer most
glawrie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I've tried out the following today:

Rhythmbox
    Musik
    Muine
    Zinf

Rhythmbox won't build on my system - fails with a segmentation fault on launch.

Musik will build (thanks to breakmygentoo for the ebuild!) but not run - it crashes mysteriously after it attempts to build a library of MP3s

Muine will build and runs well, but the interface takes a bit of getting used to.

Zinf builds and runs well (on MP3s, crashes if you try playing a CD...)

So, no outright winner, but for now Zinf is ahead by some lengths - it works well for MP3s and does most of what is required.

But I'm going to persist with Muine to see if it grows on me, and attempt to try out the other two - at least to get them working (otherwise it is not a fair comparison).

Regards

Gavin Lawrie
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Rhythmbox Reply with quote

I wonder why so many people have trouble with Rhythmbox. I use it constantly on both my computers (one pentium laptop kernel 2.6.3, Windowmaker, and the other AMD Desktop kernel 2.4.22, Gnome), and I have never had it crash. I am running version 0.6.1.

Personally, I love it, and would highly reccomend it, if you can figure out a way to get it to compile. What I like so much about Rhythmbox is that it is very simple and plain. I guess it is a matter of taste, but I like the simplicity.
MighMoS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rhythmbox Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
I wonder why so many people have trouble with Rhythmbox. I use it constantly on both my computers (one pentium laptop kernel 2.6.3, Windowmaker, and the other AMD Desktop kernel 2.4.22, Gnome), and I have never had it crash. I am running version 0.6.1.

Personally, I love it, and would highly reccomend it, if you can figure out a way to get it to compile. What I like so much about Rhythmbox is that it is very simple and plain. I guess it is a matter of taste, but I like the simplicity.
I looks so nice. But it crashes whenever I import my library. :-(

localhost # export HOME=`which heart`
Woody
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juk if you are willing to put up with the crumby output options.
G-Style
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use XMMS, it's the best thing to use.
mengle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to use XMMS but with 2000+ tracks it really wasn't worth my time. I've been using Juk for KDE which is definitely an improvement but I've very interested in madman. Too bad it doesn't have an ebuild yet so i haven't had a chance to try it out. Maybe something to keep an eye on in the future.
ashtray
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at www.netjuke.org. It's php web based mp3 library.
tatesworld
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually use lopster / xmms combination for navigating my library of mp3s and downloading them too
zerojay
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mainly use XMMS for my needs with a little shell script and mysql/php/apache to get the library/play counts and all that other fun stuff.
LostSon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been using juk for awhile now and i really like it myself plays great and i like that it docks 8)
mlsfit138
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used zinf(freeamp) for a looong time. I really liked it's features, I just didn't like the crashes (I can't remember what caused them, but they were always easy to duplicate), and just recently I found some audio output errors. When playing certain ogg vorbis files, there were some very nasty output errors that I couldn't put up w/, so I looked around for another full featured jukebox. (besides i think the project is dead :? )

I just discovered Juk, and I like it so far. I like the way the tag editor works, I like the gui (I don't care about fancy skins, just functionality), and I don't get those output errors. I used to be death on anything that used the arts daemon, but arts seems to have improved dramatically.

To be honest, part of the reason I like Juk so much is that I'm rediscovering kde (i used *box for a long time) and am really loving it(Sounds like a McDonalds comercial). I don't think that juk has zinf's streaming audio capabilities, but I'm not done playing with it yet.

-Converge, The Saddest Day, Petitioning the Empty Sky
xayland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. It looks like you are looking for something like yammi (http://yammi.sf.net if i remember right)

Gentoo does have a ebuild for yammi, but it did not build correctly, so I downloaded the sources, and did own install. If you are looking for an Itunes clone, and you have loads of music like me, then yammi is what you are probably looking for. :twisted:
This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loed darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. -=John 3:19=-
paneb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was using beep too, but now am using zinf cuz i have ripped all my cds, and its much easier to manage in there..
dl1vr8r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Amarok. It's in portage. It's KDE based, which might be good or bad for you. It has a nice playlist builder, clean and simple interface, and a stream tuner built in.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: