Persistant DEVFS problem with 2.6.3-rc1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spewy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Persistant DEVFS problem with 2.6.3-rc1 Reply with quote

I have all the devfs options on but some script is still flaggin it as being missing on boot. I'm guessing that this is also the root of my problems with getting alsa up and running.

What methods can I use to pin down this problem some more????
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the time and date output by
Code:
# uname -a

It sounds like you have recompiled the kernel several times, but you are still booting the original one (compiled without devfs).
SlimDady
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also getting the same error on boot.

I have recompiled my kernel with /dev supprt (obsolete) or wahtever it says tehre

make && make modules_install

I mounted boot. I removed the old kernel and system map, replaced it with the newly compiled one.. and im still getting that damn error on boot..
spewy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one kernel in /boot and its the one that I set grub to look at. Oddly enough uname -a has the time stamp as the 10th of march......

How can that be. Only one kernel in /boot/ which has a time stamp of the 13th.

Even more curious.... my grub folder in /boot has gone
spewy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So itrs not only me then!
Skotlex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text. Reply with quote

Hmm... could it be that ghosts have stolen your newly compiled kernels? Or could it be that you forgot to mount /boot before copying the new kernel over? Questions, questions...

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you are having problems starting devfs, you could also try setting your kernel so that it automatically mounts it on boot time.
spewy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ha!!! dev/hda1 not mounted indeed!

Gee... why oh why does linux allow you to browse a folder that isn't mounted!!!!

Thanks buddy
Skotlex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text. Reply with quote

I've often wondered this... it'd be great help if you couldn't cd into an umounted directory, but I think that's not possible because the mount point directory is a normal directory. It's transparent to the user which thing is mounted where... the only way to know if a directory is or not mounted is by looking at the contents of it (altough I wonder what happens to files that you copy inside /boot and then mount a partition over it...). Now that I recall, the kernel now has something called supermount which is supposed to mount resources automatically when you need them, altough I think that was just meant for removable media.
Buge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text. Reply with quote

Skotlex wrote:
(altough I wonder what happens to files that you copy inside /boot and then mount a partition over it...).

Nothing happens to the 'real' content of the folder. When you mount a device the content of the folder is hidden and the device's content is shown instead. Can be really confusing at times...
I guess you could create a file with the name "DEVICE NOT MOUNTED!" so you realize it every time you ls. :wink:
SlimDady
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird ok.. i used my live cd

i mounted the partitions like in the guide.. recompiled my kernel using the live cd, installed it to boot

then rebooted and now for somereason it mounted dev fine
spewy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, you should not be able to open and modify a folder if it hasn't been mounted... folders declared in fstab should be protected in some fashion.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: