Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installed GRUB to the wrong place, please help!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UnCola
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Installed GRUB to the wrong place, please help! Reply with quote

My harddrives are as follows:
hda is my windows drive.
hdb is my linux drive.
Because hda was the original bootdrive when I just had win2k on my sytem, I wanted GRUB to be put there. I went through the process, but when the instructions got to the part about installing grub, I accidently entered:
setup (hd0,0)
realizing my mistake i went back and ran grub for setup (hd0). The result is that i now have two grubs installed, one on the /mbr of hda, and one on the primary partition of hda. Because of this windows will not load, or even recognize the drive. Booting from a windows bootdisk, fdisk says that the file type is unknown and that the drive is 100% full. fdisk in linux says that it is still a fat32 system.

I have no idea how to remove grub from the primary partition and make it so that win2k loads again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been working on this sence 9 PM yesterday.

~UnCola
PieMan2000@aol.com
SlimDady
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this.. use you windows recover console. It might do it for ya

In the recovery cosole :

Fixmbr Repairs the master boot record of the boot disk. The fixmbr command is only available when you are using the Recovery Console.

fixmbr [device_name]

Parameter

device_name

The device (drive) on which you want to write a new master boot record. The name can be obtained from the output of the map command. An example of a device name is:

\Device\HardDisk0.

Example

The following example writes a new master boot record to the device specified:

fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0

Notes

If you do not specify a device_name, a new master boot record will be written to the boot device, which is the drive on which your primary system is loaded.
If an invalid or nonstandard partition table signature is detected, you will be prompted whether you want to continue. If you are not having problems accessing your drives, you should not continue. Writing a new master boot record to your system partition could damage your partition tables and cause your partitions to become inaccessible.
UnCola
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I get to the recover console?

Also, On this drive is my intire windows installation, but it is inaccesable from dos. cd'ing to it says that it is unavailable. I would really like to fix it without loosing all the information on it, but a reinstall is not out of the question.

Suggestions?
Skotlex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text. Reply with quote

The way I get to the recover console is using the installation Windows CD (the main menu has that option). Since you mentioned that you can still access your win partition from linux, you can always backup their contents in case a reinstall is unavoidable.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: