Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
simple and important question: if kernel 2.6 - which one ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radulucian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: simple and important question: if kernel 2.6 - which one ? Reply with quote

i am reinstalling a linux server that i will use in a remote location and i plan to use 2.6 kernel.

i've seen that gentoo-dev-sources that i was counting on is unmaintained at the moment and has not reached 2.6.4

question is, should i use 2.6 for the server and if yes, what sources should i emerge and why ?

i've think i have read all previous threads on this issue but couldn't say that i am satisfied with any of their conclusion.
--------------------------
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: simple and important question: if kernel 2.6 - which one Reply with quote

radulucian wrote:
i am reinstalling a linux server that i will use in a remote location and i plan to use 2.6 kernel.

i've seen that gentoo-dev-sources that i was counting on is unmaintained at the moment and has not reached 2.6.4

question is, should i use 2.6 for the server and if yes, what sources should i emerge and why ?

i've think i have read all previous threads on this issue but couldn't say that i am satisfied with any of their conclusion.

If it's a server, you should probably use development-sources, but that will upgrade you to the release candidate patches as they come out, which might not suit you.

If you're not happy with the 2.6 kernels available, stick with what you're using until 2.6 satisfies your requirements.

As an aside, I tend to use development-sources but with selected added patches from Andrew Morton's mm patches kernel.org space (akpm) e.g. bk-alsa. You might want to look into this. I find the full mm-sources a bit hit-and-miss (sometimes they just don't work with my config), so I just conservatively select the any patches I want. The current mm patchset (broken out) for 2.6.4 resides in http://zeus.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.4/2.6.4-mm1/broken-out/
radulucian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: amd-xp or dual-piii ? Reply with quote

i've had some big problems with gs-sources, wich i expected to be rock-solid and were not, but it may have been the hardware, as i was using a dual-pIII at 500 that had already had some problems before.
i am now going to use an AMD barthon 2.6 on a mb with everything integrated, and i will ignore usb, video and sound drivers, and only care about the lan and ide.

since the server is still working on the old hardware and i will receive the new hardware tommorow i will try your solution first and see how it goes with all the drivers and services from development-sources, and maybe risk using it if everything goes smooth during instalation.

i am thinking maybe i should be one of those that try it and then scream for help, as probably that's also a way to get bugs solved and things working, and in the end, advance development.

on a side note, can anyone say if i can expect an AMD 2.6 to perform better than the dual-piii 500 that i will replace ??
SuperTomate
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.4 has just been released today !
To
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advise is:

gentoo-dev-sources for servers

mm-sources for desktop workstations.

------------------------------------------------
Linux Gandalf 3.2.35-grsec
Gentoo Base System version 2.2
------------------------------------------------
radulucian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true. just that it's still masked.
anyway, i installed gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.4
with

Code:
emerge /usr/portage/sys-kernel/gentoo-dev-sources/gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.4.ebuild

everything is working GREAT, much better than i expected, and i am using a motherboard with integrated video, audio and lan, gigabyte GA - 7N400VL to be more precise, and all drivers where already available.

i even got lm-sensors to work but they need a little more tweaking.
i am now finalizing the installation but i must say that i have never seen the kernel compiling this fast.

thanks for the help everyone, i hope to see the -r1 unmasked release soon.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: