View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dchart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Anti-aliased fonts in Epiphany/Mozilla inconsistent Reply with quote

I've just got my install of gentoo to the point where I can use gnome and browse the web.

I have xfs installed and running, but I don't always get antialiased fonts in Epiphany. Sometimes I do, though.

Specific pages: Mozilla home page, anti-aliased. Gentoo home page, not.

Any ideas what the problem is? Have E & M compiled without xfs support? (I hope not, given how long mozilla takes to build.) Do I need to install some more fonts?

Thanks in advance.
helmers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is with the websites themselves. I have copied over all my favorite fonts from Windows and my Mac, and that gave me anti-aliased fonts everywhere. Verdana is very commonly used, and it seems that Helvetica is used as a replacement, instead of Bitstream Vera.

Unfortunatuly, Helvetica is a bitmap font, so it won't be anti-aliased. Try to get some fonts from a Windows installation. I did the following (in case you are a n00b):

Create a .fonts directory in my home dir, and copy all the fonts there
Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config, and add the following line below the other font directories
Code:
FontPath        "/home/helmers/.fonts"

Restart X and run "fc-cache -f" as root

That's it. If you ever add more fonts to the directory, just do an "fc-cache -f" again, to update the font cache. You may need to restart the application to make use of newly added fonts.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: