few things about reiser3 and reiser4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gentoo Server
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: few things about reiser3 and reiser4 Reply with quote

first i have a 8*185g raid5 drive (net 1.2t) with one big reiser partition

so now a few exp from me about reiser

reiser3 kernel 2.4.22:
when the drive was near full i got strange cant write (write protect?) when i copied new files in a new dir (after hitting retry it works all the time)

even with few gigs free i got no free space messages when i want to copy a 200mb file

reiser3 kernel 2.6
the htpt374 (you need the very new patch) driver is broken so data is written/read bad to disk
but i was writing 1t to the partition and got no single error message
i dont know but maybe a fs should have some tests so ensure that your data is written/read good
the strange parts is that the reiserfs didnt found out that the somplete 1t data was broken

reiser4 build 2.25.04 kernel 2.6:

created the 1.2t partition
mountet partition
segfault
need to hardreset linux server
so i think reiser4 is far away from being usable

anyway did reiser3 on that partition now
dont know if ext3 is the better choice

Last edited by Gentoo Server on Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
ejohnson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a need to use one large 1.2TByte partition? It seems that any filesystem would be ineffecient on that large of a partition.

Reiser4 is a touchy matter, but it can be done. Personally if I was thinking of your kind of application I'd wait a long time before using it.

BTW, did the segfaults occur during umounting the partition, or during any special operation (i.e. copying or reading)?
Gentoo Server
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejohnson wrote:
Do you have a need to use one large 1.2TByte partition? It seems that any filesystem would be ineffecient on that large of a partition.

Reiser4 is a touchy matter, but it can be done. Personally if I was thinking of your kind of application I'd wait a long time before using it.

BTW, did the segfaults occur during umounting the partition, or during any special operation (i.e. copying or reading)?

the segfault was right while mounting the reiser4 volume

so i could not test to read/write on that rs4 volume
Gentoo Server
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejohnson wrote:

i dont care if a fs is inefficent but reiser3 did some errors on that 1.2t partition
georwell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but reiser3 did some errors on that 1.2t partition

Have you considered the $25 support call? I am sure they would like to hear about any errors you are having.
Gentoo Server
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

georwell wrote:
Quote:
but reiser3 did some errors on that 1.2t partition

Have you considered the $25 support call? I am sure they would like to hear about any errors you are having.

why i should pay $25 to tell a bug in reiser4?
georwell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I said pay $25 for support for reiser3. Read what I quoted. If you want this bug fixed and you value the speed the resierfs offers then I see nothing wrong with your company forking over a measly $25. It is a very small fee and you should get prompt support and your problem solved. If $25 is too much then I would say your raid array isn't very valuable to your organization.

Reiser4 is still in development shouldn't be considered stable. So it shouldn't be run in a production environment anyways.

Besides I always see the offer of $25 support and I want to see if they live up it. You seem like a good candidate to bug about it. :D
Gentoo Server
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georwell wrote:
Quote:

I said pay $25 for support for reiser3. Read what I quoted. If you want this bug fixed and you value the speed the resierfs offers then I see nothing wrong with your company forking over a measly $25. It is a very small fee and you should get prompt support and your problem solved. If $25 is too much then I would say your raid array isn't very valuable to your organization.

Reiser4 is still in development shouldn't be considered stable. So it shouldn't be run in a production environment anyways.

Besides I always see the offer of $25 support and I want to see if they live up it. You seem like a good candidate to bug about it. :D

ok i understzand i was thinking to donate $25 to reiser but of course I dont pay for telling a bug!

I just want to see expect reiser bugs when you are reaching some limits like 1t partition

in every day usage i dont see any reiser problems but beware reiser has no internal checks if the files are ok so I was writing 1t data full of crc to my disk and reiser3 didnt told me that there are problems (was a brokten kernel hpt374 driver)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: