Should i use gcc32?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Should i use gcc32? Reply with quote

My sysem has been acting strage ever since a while back it got messed up. I eventually started from a stage 1 tar, extracted that re bootstrapped and emerged -e world. I had to do this b/c 1) my kernel stopped loading modules and the autoconf.h header disappeared. This prompted me to attempt to upgrage to gcc32 while fixing it since my cumm was out of comission anyway. It wouldn't build some p;ackages (kdebase i know and i think another as well) so i went back as described earlier. It hasn't worked right since.
Opera-static has started crashing and freezing randonly (i think), if i try to start a fullscreen opengl app (quakle1 w/ winex, quake3 w/ winex, and quake3 linux) the screen bklacks and the whole system freezes. I can't ctrl+Alt+F2 to a terminal, i can't Ctrl+alt+del, anything. Now the xmms gui freezes when i try to open a dialog. THe sound will keep playing, but the gui is frozen. I can Alt+tab w/ it still, buit no controls work, time doesnt update, etc.

I am going to try an emerge world to see if that fizes it. If that fails i'm gonna have to do a clean re-install, like w/ windows which will really piss me off. :x

My question is, should i install and switch to the gcc32 profile now or wait. I know htere is the gentoo 14 thread which covers some og this, but so much in that thread is out of date, i can't get any info from it. Plus i couldn't care less about gentoo version (what does that mean anyway?), i just heard gcc32 is mucg faster than gcc295.

PS: I for got how to change the profile and which profile to use. I'd RTFM, but i don't know which FM to read.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: