Is it time to give up and start over?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colin_stewart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Is it time to give up and start over? Reply with quote

A horrid little thought has just hit me. I may be going at this in vein.

I recall going through this bit:

Code Listing 40: Emerging genkernel
# emerge genkernel

but I also have a stage3 tarball sitting on the drive too - and I got the feeling these should be mutually exclusive in a proper install. :?

Can anyone concur on that thought and save me from myself? :oops:

I'm really not sure about any of this this anymore. :(
Computeruser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am doing what you are doing. I aborted my stage 1 and deleted the machine. I am doing a stage 3 to see if a Gentoo guest works in VMware 4.0.5. If so, I may go back to a stage 1.

So at this point, I installed stage 3. At the appropriate spot in the Install Guide, I moved forward to Configuring the Kernel which (leaving out some small stuff) involves emerge vanilla-source; emerge genkernel; and then genkernel all. I am on the last step (it will take some time) and it seems to be working. Isn't this what you are doing as well?
colin_stewart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computeruser wrote:
I think I am doing what you are doing. I aborted my stage 1 and deleted the machine. I am doing a stage 3 to see if a Gentoo guest works in VMware 4.0.5. If so, I may go back to a stage 1.

So at this point, I installed stage 3. At the appropriate spot in the Install Guide, I moved forward to Configuring the Kernel which (leaving out some small stuff) involves emerge vanilla-source; emerge genkernel; and then genkernel all. I am on the last step (it will take some time) and it seems to be working. Isn't this what you are doing as well?

Yeah, except I think I am about to call it a day and admit I am just too stupid to make it all work. Oh well, win some, lose some. That'll be about the 8th time I've tried a linux distro and I think it maybe should be the last time. Got to draw a line somewhere I suppose.

I'll sleep on it. I just got this thought in my mind which says if it's not able to boot after 48 plus hours, then can it really be worthwhile, and I got no hard evidence at all that says it is. Law of diminishing returns /etc. :wink:
Kevin72594
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your not too stupid to make it work, however if you're looking for an easy install you might want to try a different distro. The best distro imo would be Mandrake, I haven't tested the new version but I am about to in a few days. Good luck with whatever you choose though!
WillRivendell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...if you are defeatd.... try this.....

1. boot up from the cd
2. make sure your internet is working from there

press alt f2

3. type irssi (irc client)
4. type /server irc.freenode.com (/nick to change name
5. type /join #gentoo

then you can post any problems in ther your having while being in the gentoo environment
its confusing being in there i know i found the hardest thing was mounting drives to go to my system.... now its easy...

but jsut ask someone in there to help you .. and thers usually one guy in there that will edicate his time to help you beyond what you would have thoguht (they are nice ppl) .. if all else REALLY fails..... you can ask someone in there to connect to you through the sshd.. theyd need your root passwd... and you may or may not want to give it out... msot of the ppl there would jsut help you..

they can then conenct to your pc.. check your config files to make sure they are good.. and even install everythign for you.....

in the mean time you can go to f4 type links and surf some forums in sweet ass monochrome colours and read and post and be bored til everything is working..
Fissile
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont' give up... the problem might be really trivial... actually i am not even sure what your problem is... can u explicate a little more?
colin_stewart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin72594 wrote:
Your not too stupid to make it work, however if you're looking for an easy install you might want to try a different distro. The best distro imo would be Mandrake, I haven't tested the new version but I am about to in a few days. Good luck with whatever you choose though!

Well you've never met me, and you'll have to take it on trust that I can be dumber than most and follow instructions to the letter, in the same unhelpful way that computers do! :wink:

Not the best of mixes I think you'll agree! :lol:
icywolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me at least 50 install of various distro to really be able to do something in linux and I'm still a newbie, once you've done it once it's easy

I'm a windows guru (I can do about everything I want in windows (ok... everything windows can do...)) so switching to linux was a difficult move because I wanted to dual-boot windows and linux but the problem was that I was always booting to windows because I was lazy

Don't give up and the thing I like the most about gentoo is the community, flame war are really really rare (I never saw one...) and everybody is willing to help everybody

good luck
colin_stewart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fissile wrote:
dont' give up... the problem might be really trivial... actually i am not even sure what your problem is... can u explicate a little more?

You know, that's the problem; two days back I could have explained it, but now after all this help, I'm more lost than ever.

Now don't anyone take that the wrong way, I'm damn grateful and seriously impressed, however, I feel it's more than I can manage intelectually now.

I've only got a reading age of about 50 or so, and this seems impenatrable at best. Mostly it seems the problems multiply as they get fixed. I had one two days ago, now I can see about 5 of the little blighters, and we didn't even boot up right once yet.

I swear this thing loses it's grip on it all just a little looser every time round the loop, things that were there, suddenly dissappear without trace, like /mnt/gentoo (was it? or maybe it was something else) for just one example - see I can't get focussed any more - It's burned me out I think! Gentoo - The People Eater! :lol:

Anyway, no point making every one else miserable with my problems, I shall just go lay in the corner and lick my wounds for a year or 5 :twisted: 8O
colin_stewart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillRivendell wrote:
lol...if you are defeatd.... try this.....

1. boot up from the cd
2. make sure your internet is working from there

press alt f2

3. type irssi (irc client)
4. type /server irc.freenode.com (/nick to change name
5. type /join #gentoo

then you can post any problems in ther your having while being in the gentoo environment
its confusing being in there i know i found the hardest thing was mounting drives to go to my system.... now its easy...

but jsut ask someone in there to help you .. and thers usually one guy in there that will edicate his time to help you beyond what you would have thoguht (they are nice ppl) .. if all else REALLY fails..... you can ask someone in there to connect to you through the sshd.. theyd need your root passwd... and you may or may not want to give it out... msot of the ppl there would jsut help you..

they can then conenct to your pc.. check your config files to make sure they are good.. and even install everythign for you.....

in the mean time you can go to f4 type links and surf some forums in sweet ass monochrome colours and read and post and be bored til everything is working..

That's so tempting, sounds like utopia, but I know that to do that I'd have to be the bravest or caziest person I know - that is so counter intuitive in the world we live in today. I don't know if I am brave or crazy enough to go for it, but the thought that I've presently little to lose is fairly compelling I must say. At worst (joke alert) I could end up with the best warez and pr0n server on the planet, and serving spam to whole nations at a time with just a single click of a trackball - not bad for one wild night I'll grant you :wink:

I dunno, it's very tempting.............. <shrug>
colin_stewart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin72594 wrote:

Easy install? Hell no, I wanted something that worked! A couple of days back this really looked like being "The One" too!

I did Mandy twice, I'd like to save you the trip on that one, but I guess we all got to find out why we individually dont like it. :wink:

I've "nearly" installed most of them once and mandy twice, coz it installed both times but then didn't do the tough things like work well, and the spam I got from signing up for that, still finding it in the ubend of the mail filter, and asked to be removed 6 times over the year or so that followed it's deletion! :P
Computeruser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just followed along the instructions, and the system boots and runs. I have missed something, because there is no environment, and there aren't any commands. I can't login (I am not challenged for a login either), I can't shutdown (doesn't work) so I have to power off. But it boots and runs. So I need to copy this machine to my laptop and play with it for a while to see how to make it work. But I was doing what you (the original poster) were doing, and it runs, so have another go at it.
colin_stewart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computeruser wrote:
Well, I just followed along the instructions, and the system boots and runs. I have missed something, because there is no environment, and there aren't any commands. I can't login (I am not challenged for a login either), I can't shutdown (doesn't work) so I have to power off. But it boots and runs. So I need to copy this machine to my laptop and play with it for a while to see how to make it work. But I was doing what you (the original poster) were doing, and it runs, so have another go at it.

I know you are right of course, but what really bothers me is this - right now if I went over there and wiped it all, and then booted the CD, I'd evetually get runing as root and then be ready to do the install thing.

However, if you do the slightly less expected, and actaully tell it to shutdown or reboot, then it fails to work, exactly as you describe.

So my stance on it all is this right now; if the guys who were bright enough to make that happen can't do better than a system which does not fuction properly, then what on earth chance do I stand?

That's right, ZIP! :wink:

I could be wrong, but it's a really simple thought, and they are often pretty robust, sadly! :lol:
lothian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suggested above there are several other very good distros that are much easier to install. http://fedora.redhat.com/ would be another fine choice. A friend with absolutely no prior Linux experience just installed fedora, and claimed the CD installed itself. The later RedHat/Fedora install CDs are simpler than installing XP, no joke.

Any Linux distro you install is going to get you basically the same applications, or you can easily install the ones it doesnt by default. The distros basically differ in how they are installed and maintained. Once the distro is installed with the applications you are interested in, there is really no difference what so ever from a user perspective.

Give it another shot :)
colin_stewart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lothian wrote:
As suggested above there are several other very good distros that are much easier to install. http://fedora.redhat.com/ would be another fine choice. A friend with absolutely no prior Linux experience just installed fedora, and claimed the CD installed itself. The later RedHat/Fedora install CDs are simpler than installing XP, no joke.

Any Linux distro you install is going to get you basically the same applications, or you can easily install the ones it doesnt by default. The distros basically differ in how they are installed and maintained. Once the distro is installed with the applications you are interested in, there is really no difference what so ever from a user perspective.

Give it another shot :)

I nearly went there but rejected it based on my experience with the box of 5.2 sitting here on the shelf behind me. If memory serves me right, that was the one which left me with a hard drive entirely full of one and zeros, and in that order - from one end of the drive to the other, and it was so crammed full of them, that every time I powered the machine up, they woud then spill out and fill the screen instead doing anything else :wink:

I'm not knocking RH BTW, coz suse did someting not too dissimilar - oh I did that one twice too, now I come to think about it more! :lol:

Maybe I can paper the walls with this stack of rejected linux distro CDs :wink: (BSD would sure cover a fair patch of wall, in one hit) :)

Anyhoo, I'm for bed I think, maybe a coffee and a read first, but I'm about done with this day!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: