Easiest Way to Install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam Page
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Easiest Way to Install Reply with quote

I'm a complete (ok, not complete) but a linux noob. Gentoo looks good and a great way to learn, but what would be the easiest way to set it up as a first time? I read through the install manuan and... 8O

Are there any "put the cd in and go" packages out there?
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the install is not as hard as it seems ... and if you want to learn anyway - why not go trough it? after that, you'll know much more about linux. download a 2004.0 livecd, boot it, and just follow the installation document step by step and you won't have too much of problems, and if you have, this forum will surely help you out.

tom
Adam Page
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the universal and quick boot discs now, do I want something different? the live cd? is that the same thing? :? (insert newbie smilie here)
Buge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Universal CD will get you started just fine!

If you are new to Linux and you want a fancy window manager, that you will feel comortable with, I can recommend KDE.
KDE takes a couple of days to compile on a processor that is slower than [INSERT A FAST SPEED HERE :wink: ], so you might decide to install the KDE binary from the package CD, optimized for your processor.

Have fun with Linux! You will love it!
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ja the universal CDs are just fine, just make sure that you change /etc/make.conf to fit your architecture (pentium, athlon or whatever). the install docs describe this really good. i can also _really_ recommend KDE as a desktop, because you'll have everything you need 'out of one hand'. i have a athlon 2200+, and kde took just a few hours to compile. i really recommend to NOT just 'emerge kde' but look at kde.org and see which programs you need/want, and compile only these programs. 'emerge kde' will install EVERYTHING, and this will indeed take a very long time, but most of the apps you won't need anyway and you can always install them later when you want.

tom
Adam Page
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what about this live cd "dos like" command thing? or is that just because that wasn't hte universal cd

and i'm a fan of gnome actually, i had redhat but had compatibility issue (only later to discover there's a diver for it) but gentoo looks much better anyway :D
2gen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the dos-like thing is the Command Line Interface(CLI). gentoo installation is all through CLI.
Visseroth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here are my recommendations.

There is a quick refernce guide that gives you the commands you are going to need to install it cause there is no way to remember everything enless you helped build the OS.

Anyhow take a look at that and if that don't work email me (kd7wpq@pobox.com) and I will scan and update the old reference guide which I used and helped a ton!!!

when you install also use (personal prefernce cause it seems to work better) the mm-source for your kernel when you get to genkernel.

But yea, send me a email if you want that and I'll be sure to scan it. I should have it done by the 19th due to a busy day tomarrow.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: