Why load modules on start up?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MighMoS
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Why load modules on start up? Reply with quote

I'm just curious, but why do people build everything as a module, then add them modules.autoload if they're just gonna get loaded all the time. Or things with alsa, then have the alsa init script load them...Why not just build it into the kernel if its always gonna be there?

localhost # export HOME=`which heart`
ed0n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

becouse they can unload them when they don't need them.
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also said that this yields better performance, because the kernel can do better memory administration. Not sure, however.

- Simon
gurke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally build all my non changing hardware and kernel features into kernel, since i always need them and it makes startup cleaner. dont think it makes too much differences though. (except maybe for people using hotplug would save the time for hp to determ needed modules)
castorilo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: to maintain several computers Reply with quote

These are the reasons I try to make everything a module even if I will have it loaded all the time:

* I have to mantain several different computers. Making everything a module allows me to use the same kernel in different computers. On each one I only load what is needed.

* If I upgrade something in my computer, say the sound card, then I don't have to recompile the kernel, just load a different module.

* Hotplug can identify and load the correct module for my harware (some things at least). If I compile stuff inside the kernel, then I have to spend time figuring out about my hardware before compiling the kernel, or have a bloated kernel.

* I can unload the module in case something fails and needs to be reinitialized.

* It is easier to try a module with different parameters, just unload and load it again. If it is inside the kernel, I have to reboot.
F16PilotJumper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I go with a monolithic kernel, because I know what hardware is in my system and what stuff I need compiled in.

Also, it makes it easier to manage the few things that are dynamically loaded at modules, knowing that the stuff I have to have it just there.

ALSA loads a TON of modules, for instance, on my 2.4.22 kernel, and I can't wait to be able to compile it in when I switch to 2.6.x.
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's also useful whenever you want to pass arguments to the driver (I know it's called kernel module, but this term might lead to confusion in this case).

There used to be a problem with bttv not using enough buffers by default, so I compiled it as a module and put
Code:
bttv gbuffers=4
in modules autoload. I could have edited the source code of the kernel whenever performing an update, but hey, isn't this more convenient?
daenan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, I had to compile enhanced real time clock (RTC) and AGP (/dev/agpgart) support as modules because fglrx (ATI video driver) wouldn't work if they were complied into the kernel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: