I just got my power book
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theneopro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: I just got my power book Reply with quote

Hey i just got my laptop. I am still at work and it was just delivered. Yippie!!! woo hooo. Ive been doing some online looking and found this site.
http://www.bsdmall.com/darwin.html]goodies and was wondering if its worth the purchase. I know we can search and download ourselves but i like the bundle. Also I will be planning on the VERY near future of dual booting with gentoo.

bkgnd:
Mainly a PC user. My server is a PC athalon running Freebsd with Samba and ftpd. Desktop (getting old) running AthlonK7 1.33 gentoo1.2
my Toshiba laptop died awhile ago and now i cant wait to get moble again.

Well plan on seeing me here real soon and chatting......
theneopro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Just about ready for the plunge Reply with quote

Okay, Im getting there. I had my fun over the weekend and now i am starting the back up process of the apps I downloaded and loved soooo much. Now, the questions start!

My plan is to make 3 PARTIONS
* creating a 10 GB partion and spliting into-
a1- 50 MB for /boot
a2- 512 MB for SWAP
a3- 9438 MB for /

4- OS standard 10 GB for OS 9.2
5- MAC OS standard 20 GB for OS X

Let me no if that is bad planning. Also about the packages available for gentoo? ive read somewhere about Mac on Linux tool? Is this available for gentoo? Is the portage a different list than found on the home page? if so is it html viewable? Friday I will be accomplishing this, or shall i say starting this and I am getting ready as much as possible for this adventure. If anybody can give advise to a first time MAC user that would be highly appreciated. I will keep you all informed, and be prepared for more in depth questions :)

-Mykey
ken
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Just about ready for the plunge Reply with quote

Paritioning on a Mac is a little more complicated.

Your first partition is a small parition map (think its like 32k)... its already there. Your second should be a bootloader (800k) which is necessary to boot Linux. You don't really need a /boot partition. According to the Gentoo PPC install doc, I guess ReiserFS and XFS are not too stable on PPC, so I went with an ext3, which doesn't need a separate boot partition.

Everything else looks good though. Have fun and enjoy your Tibook... mine is a Rev A and I still love it.

I don't think you'll really need that Unix OS X utils disk... most of those can be downloaded with fink (an OS X clone of Debian's apt-get). Think its at fink.sourceforge.net still.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write support for HFS+ is much worse than that for HFS, so if you can spare it, having an HFS partition will make sharing files between MacOS and Gentoo easier. Don't forget the bootstrap trampoline partition (it's documented in the PPC install guide). The portage tree is basically the same, but only the ebuilds with the ppc KEYWORD (you can grep across a portage tree on an x86 machine to see which these are) are supported on PPC.
dingo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using gentoo on a powerbook for some time now

My arrow keys won't work.

I can't for the life of me get sdl to compile (Too many stupid i386-specific asm instructions fricken up all my shit)

Too many x86 binary-only linux applications.

Mplayer doesn't have support for RGB filtering -- which it needs for *EVERYTHING* -- so no video support

I guess the biggest thing is the friggin arrow keys. I've been using linux for over 5 years, I'm no veteran but I know how to configure X, and i've tried everything, including individualy messaging other powerbook/gentoo users on this board and nobody knows. I don't think its gentoo's fault, but I havn't seen it on any other ppc distro message boards.

also when using ettercap (in console), the arrow keys are defunct.

Plus theres tons of bugs just to get the keyboard to work in the first place hehehe, what a nightmare, but i'll let you try to login after your initial reboot and find out for yourself :)

Oh and the worst has got to be individually selecting every package I want to emerge because unlike my intel box no matter how many times i update portage I can't specify 'emerge mplayer' for instance, gotsta be 'emerge media-video/mplayer/mplayer-0.6.00..yaddyada'

I'm not bitter, i just love my intel gentoo box to the core, but its my server, it doesn't even have a monitor, this powerbook was supposed to be my portable little gentoo funbox and the arrow keys dont even work and i have 5 cd's of gameboy and gameboy color roms that wont friggin work because even though gngb has ppc flags sdl wont compile because it has i386 asm instructions and the only other decent emu has i386 instructions itself and im going to kill somebody if i don't get my friggin arrow keys to work so i can stop manually clicking on text with my mouse to change minute spelling errors and stop switching consoles or using vi to edit a friggin text file.

i had to vent somewhere....
ken
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dingo, go here: http://neugierig.org/content/tibook/

Get his XF86Config-4. I was using it in Gentoo 1.4 and my arrow keys worked fine.
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dingo:

emerge rsync
emerge -u portage

now for the buids that wont compile, look at the ebuild files to see if they have a ppc KEYWORD in them. Things like mplayer don't (IMO it's always been buggy as hell and only portions of it work at any given time on any platform, which is why it's masked currently).

For the arrow keys, try setting up with Xeasyconf (emerge xeasyconf) and go from there.

All the sdl pkgs have been fixed for some time, so it looks like you may have an older portage tree. Hope this helps.
dingo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: ..thanks Reply with quote

thanks for trying to help. keys still don't work. I use a powerbook pismo, not a ti. Did try the xf86config, though. No luck.

updated portage works, i just assumed the emerge rsync; emerge -u world in my crontab would have updated portage of all things. hopefully the new one will update itself now.
I love mplayer. Support for all kinds of video out drivers from ascii, to svga, sdl and x11 is simply awsome. Playing dvd's in init 1 or something of that sort is a HUGE improvement in speed on low-end machines imo. Plus being able to test downloaded videos (legaly, of course!) with -vo null from the other side of the U.S. is a huge plus in my book.

I have tried the auto-configurators, as a matter of fact it was the first thing I tried weeks ago. Actually it made my X keys garbage, and I couldn't switch consoles and had no sshd at the time and had to cold boot (!) I'll try it again, maybe the updated one will work better. I ended up finding XF86Config's for neworld mac laptops online and they all worked (minux the keyboard). I don't think anybody has really used linux extensivly on a pismo.

still no answer on why the ettercap keys don't work.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=11767&highlight=

SDL was actually installed (emerged manually), the updated one (at the time) wouldn't compile. I still want to warn the theneopro that *several* (i estimate about 70%) of the packages do *not* support ppc. For instance I was dissapointed to find that neither eboard of xboard (internet free chess clients) do not have PPC Keywords.

emerge: all ebuilds that could satisfy "so-and-so" have been masked.
get used to it :)

the filesystem support for mac osx/linux is pretty shitty on both ends. expect alot of frustrations swapping between the two. I can't beleive (even in the latest OSX) they don't support ext2 in the kernel!! I think o'riely(?) did a survey and found a good 50% of mac OSX users are converted linux/unix users.

I am, however, impressed with the functionality of module laptop hardware and 'the little things' such as sleep when i close the lid, my brightness & sound keys, etc. working. Though I wish there was a sysrq key but hey you can't have it all right?

And finally, props to this forum. I've had many of my questions answered (except of course, like these, the unanswerable). Thankyou all, esp. developers.

Either way, i was looking into hacking up my own keyboard config modules, but didn't find any decent documentation. Anybody have better google skills? :)
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dingo:

2 things to try... check your permissions on /var/tmp , if it is not fully accesible you should set it to chmod a+x (I think) to make it fully world readable.writeable. Someone had a similar problem with an Xfree keymap not loading recently and this fixed things.

Also, are you using linux keycodes? If so the xfree drivers should just all work... it seems that one time when mine did not work, I was not using linux keycodes but ADB stuff instead (which is old and decprepid these days)

Hope this helps, keep us informaed ;)
theneopro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: WOW !!!! Reply with quote

I step away for a few days playing with my New LapTop PowerBook (The sound of that is uplifting). And all these changes occur. Despite all the ranting and the raving, I will proceed as planned. I noticed and downloaded the latest tar ball for 1.4rc1. Tonight I plan to do the setup, make sure backups are made and all CD's are burned. Tomorrow 2000hrs Eastern time the mission begins My Room......

I recently got back into Linux and finding Gentoo was the biggest savior for me. I was starting to become disappointed for the Linux community. The last distro used was Mandrake and I became lazy. Its a good feeling to be able to have control more often than none. Despite the fact that most apps are written for i386.[/url]
theneopro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 6:54 am    Post subject: Updating Reply with quote

Just letting you know I am in progress with this and it took me awhile to get this started. I first did a bad partinioning configuration and im doing this for the second time. I expect a succesful install after this. But im still confused about Yaboot. I should get back to everyone on Monday. Hey i even have an interview. Wish me look in all... till then

-Mykey
theneopro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 3:45 pm    Post subject: Not good Reply with quote

I cant boot into Gentoo;
vmlinux not found

I installed twice now and had noticed somethings like my syslog was skipped. opps. Thats what happens when your up for 22hrs. But this moring I was refreshed and focused on getting this to work. I am able to boot into mac OS X but that is all.I am at witts end and need assitance. How do I get back and reconfig yaboot?

-At ends mykey
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you use the instructions in https://forums.gentoo.org/faq.php#4 to boot from the install CD to get back in? The process should be pretty architecture-independent.
theneopro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Woes indeed Reply with quote

I have installed with the tarball stage3-g4 optimized pakage.
1. the doc's say the
Quote:
Warning: If you used the stage3 tarball you do not need to install a system logger. The stage3 tarball includes sysklogd.

Which I found to be not true. Possible this is meant only for the stage3-ppc version??
2.The boot manager dosent seem to work correctly. I have received the yaboot menu and can go into Mac OS X fine but when I tested out OS9.2 I never received the menu again.
Tonight I will try one more time and reorganze my notes. So i can be be more specific when describing my troubles. I also picked up on a earlier post for yaboot regarding placement of vmlinux. I will try it this time.
Also I put OS9 & X on the same partition. Now that I think about it, looking at the way yaboot is written, when I swithced to 9.2 yaboot could not see it so it more than likely disabled itself. Hummm. But I must add that when installing gentoo it definitley flew through the install. How sweet it looked.
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The syslog included is from old docs (pre 1.4), the current docs online should be updated for this.

Also if you used OS X to select to boot into OS 9 or if you opened the Startup Disk control panel in OS 9 it overrides the yaboot bootloader. You can thank Apple for that one :/
theneopro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:59 am    Post subject: Now a new prob Reply with quote

I was able to boot off the Gentoo CD and I was able to mount it and fix yaboot. Rebooted and pressed 'L' and it loaded up and the error message I got was:

Problem starting needed services.
" netmount " was not started.

gremlin login:

And the keyboard does not respond. blinky cursor
-What to do??
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ..thanks Reply with quote

don't put up with that! All you have to do is add the ppc keyword to the ebuild by hand. then emerge it normally and try it out. if it works, email gentooppc-dev@gentoo.org with the EXACT name of the ebuild you just installed.

As an example, I've already installed and ran xboard on my ibook with no problems. (I already reported it too).

dingo wrote:
I still want to warn the theneopro that *several* (i estimate about 70%) of the packages do *not* support ppc. For instance I was dissapointed to find that neither eboard of xboard (internet free chess clients) do not have PPC Keywords.

emerge: all ebuilds that could satisfy "so-and-so" have been masked.
get used to it :)

Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70% is a pretty highball estimate....I just ran some scripts to verify the numbers, and it's more like 35% (of which most of the apps are x86 specific or assembly based x86 stuffs).
dingo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: ..thanks Reply with quote

zojas wrote:
don't put up with that! All you have to do is add the ppc keyword to the ebuild by hand. then emerge it normally and try it out. if it works, email gentooppc-dev@gentoo.org with the EXACT name of the ebuild you just installed.

As an example, I've already installed and ran xboard on my ibook with no problems. (I already reported it too).

Righto my man, righto. Consquently people have been writing assembly instructions, even in simple chess programs. them damn endians been attacking my gentoo portage.

S'cool. My keyboard still deoesn't work (seems a powerbook pismo keyboard is quite different than your average ppc/mac/whatever keyboard) but im ok with that. I've decided to sarcrafice some DIMM to the PPC portage gods for more PPC keywords.
dr_dex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Linux keycodes, and not ADB stuff Reply with quote

Gerk wrote:
Also, are you using linux keycodes? If so the xfree drivers should just all work... it seems that one time when mine did not work, I was not using linux keycodes but ADB stuff instead (which is old and decprepid these days)

Here you say that I should use linux keycodes on Gentoo PPC instead of ADB (depreceated) stuff. How can I verify that I'm using "the right stuff"?

Everything is okay, but I need to use the 'mac-us' keymap on my norwegian logitech itouch (which is a PC-keyboard). Shouldn't I be allowed to use the 'no' or 'no-latin1' keymaps instead?

Anybody written a guide/HOWTO on this?

What kernel options, which configs to tweak, and the right software.

I'm using a regular G4 PowerMac with USB keyboard/mouse (newworld)
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_des:

all of your questions (aside from maybe the non-us keympas ones) are answered very clearly in the PPC install guide and FAQ. Pleae check them out from www.gentoo.org
dr_dex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: PC USB keyboard on Gentoo PPC - solved! Reply with quote

I found it out before your answer came in. The trick is to use both keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes in /etc/yaboot.conf and switch the keymap in /etc/rc.conf to "no-latin1", all in one go.

That did the trick for me. :D

BTW: On RedHat the "itouch" XkbModel was defined, but I cannot seem to find this keyboard/model/keymap in gentoo xfree. How can I get the extra keys on these logitech keyboards to work?

-- Robin
rqiu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: SYSRQ key on Tibook Reply with quote

If you want to use sysrq key on Tibook, you can try this:
hack the keyboard.c (/usr/src/linux/driver/char/) to use a different keycode instead
of 0x54. I changed it to 0x57 (F11). It works great. F11-s (sync), etc. :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: