Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The installation of gentoo is making me NUTS!, here i show..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drspewfy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: The installation of gentoo is making me NUTS!, here i show.. Reply with quote

Hello guys, is my second time that i install gentoo, but i dont know what im doing wrongg!! i followed the handbook of gentoo.org,
so i finished the instalation with alot of hard work,,
and i rebooted how was said,, i compiled the kernel 2.6.3 gentoo-dev-sources..,

i installed syslog-ng, vixie-cron ,and all the stuff that the instalation said..
so
i reboot i got this ERROS,

Failed are loaded from current direcotry or /usr/lib/bbd/*/

*failed to set user font

*loading key mapping
/sbin/rc: line 1: 45#: command not found

*starting syslog-ng
start-stop-daemon: stat /usr/sbin/syslog-ng: no such file or directory

/usr/sbin/rc: line 1: 45#: command not found

*bringing eth0 up
/usr/sbin/rc: line 1: 45#: command not found

ERROR: problem starting need services
"netmount" was not started
ERROR:problem starting need services
"vixie-cron" was not started

*starting local
/sbin/rc: line 1: 45#: command not found

ANDD when i try to log in, now, the first time I could log in..
but when i rebooted again i could login as a root and neither as a user.

this says..

when i try to log in..

- login(pam_unix)[3126]: authentication failure: logname: LOGIN
uid=0 euid=0 tty=/dev/tty1 ruser= user=root
- login[3126]: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM /dev/tty1 FOR root, authentication failure..

Andd i added and user, i put a passwd in the instalatioin, i followed the handbook to add the net.eth0, i installed vixie-cron, syslog-ng ..
i dont know what to do!!...

i have been doing that like 5 days but i cant enter to gentoo.. cuz the passswd, should i re install gentoo ? or use the LIVE cd and do something...
maybe i could fix it up all thoses ERRORs..

THANKSS im really mad cuz i cant install gentoo!1

thanks in advance ..:(
fennec
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be a step in the installation process that you have skipped for all those problems to happen.
Lajasha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my vote would be to reinstall as you have nothing to lose but some time and you get a lil more hands-on with your system.

What stage are you starting from? If you are trying a stage 1 you may want to try a stage 3 just to see if you can get it working and then later come back and try a stage 1.
DarkStal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Some help... Reply with quote

Greetings drspewfy,

I apologize if I sound a bit dense on this but I need some information from you before I can get a solid idea of what is going on. First off could you specify what kind of computer you are trying to install linux on? Secondly, what steps in the manual did you take? Did you do a Stage 1, 2, or 3 tarball install... and depending on which one, what steps did you take to install? What results did you get? I know this is a lot to ask but it would really help.

Now to address the errors that you currently have. Now, right off the bat let me say I am just trying to help you. If I ask a question that seems like the answer is obvious or if it seems to insult you in any way please disregard it. If you could just answer the questions I ask I or someone else may be able to help you to finding the problem and trying to find the easiest path to a resolution. I am just trying to help. With that in mind let us continue.

From what I have seen the files that seem to have the most problem seem to all associate with the root commands, which can definately lead to a lot of frustration. Some key files that I have seen in your post are:

/usr/lib/bbd/*/ (not sure what this is)
/usr/sbin (or more specifically /usr/sbin/rc)
/sbin (/rc)
/dev (/tty1)

The most prominent directory that I see in your post would be the /usr/sbin. Now it is my understanding that the /sbin directories hold binary files for secure programs, or more specifically binary files used exclusively by root. Now when mounting a file system everything is entered in single user mode (where you are basically root). Only problem I am having is finding an article or even a man page regarding rc. From what I have found it is a processes associated with firewalls but most of them relate to the /sbin or /etc/rc.d directories.

With that in mind it could very well be that the particular file in question is corrupt or the CD Image may have been damaged for just that one part of the install. It may be beneficial to go back through the install one more time and document each step that you take to get Gentoo onto the computer as well as a collection of notes of any iregular behavior.

Again please keep in mind I have only been working with Linux for about a year now, Gentoo only for about a month or so... so if anything I hope I gave you some ideas as to how to aproach the problem.

Again I hope I was of some help.

Thank you for your time,
DarkStal
drspewfy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanksss!!

im starting from the stage 3, and i got that errors, by my first reboot,
i fixed up the syslog-ng and vixie-cron, re-emerging them..
but the other stuff still like that..

this is what i get in.. messages

Mar 17 14:09:42 linux Using r5 hash to sort names
Mar 17 14:09:42 linux VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly.
Mar 17 14:09:42 linux Freeing unused kernel memory: 212k freed
Mar 17 14:09:42 linux Adding 465876k swap on /dev/hda2. Priority:-1 extents:1
Mar 17 14:09:42 linux dhcpcd[2969]: dhcpStart: ioctl SIOCGIFHWADDR: No such device
Mar 17 14:09:42 linux rc-scripts: Failed to bring eth0 up
Mar 17 14:09:42 linux rc-scripts: ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
Mar 17 14:09:42 linux rc-scripts: "netmount" was not started.
Mar 17 14:09:42 linux cron[3049]: (CRON) STARTUP (fork ok)
Mar 17 14:10:01 linux login(pam_unix)[3081]: session opened for user root by LOGIN(uid=0)
Mar 17 14:15:00 linux CRON[3301]: (root) CMD (test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons && /usr/sbin/run-crons )
Mar 17 14:16:16 linux login(pam_unix)[3082]: authentication failure; logname=LOGIN uid=0 euid=0 tty=/dev/tty2 ruser= rhost= user=protoloco
Mar 17 14:16:18 linux login[3082]: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM /dev/tty2 FOR protoloco, Authentication failure
Mar 17 14:16:29 linux login[3082]: FAILED LOGIN 2 FROM /dev/tty2 FOR protoloco, Authentication failure
Mar 17 14:16:35 linux login(pam_unix)[3082]: session opened for user root by LOGIN(uid=0)
Mar 17 14:16:40 linux su(pam_unix)[10489]: session opened for user protoloco by root(uid=0)
Mar 17 14:16:52 linux passwd(pam_unix)[10492]: authentication failure; logname=root uid=1000 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost= user=protoloco
Mar 17 14:17:04 linux passwd(pam_unix)[10493]: authentication failure; logname=root uid=1000 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost= user=protoloco

any thoughts ?????

thankss
DarkStal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings again drspewfy,

I think I can get a basic idea of what is going on now... lets take a look:

Quote:
Mar 17 14:09:42 linux dhcpcd[2969]: dhcpStart: ioctl SIOCGIFHWADDR: No such device
Mar 17 14:09:42 linux rc-scripts: Failed to bring eth0 up
Mar 17 14:09:42 linux rc-scripts: ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
Mar 17 14:09:42 linux rc-scripts: "netmount" was not started.

If you notice the errors that fallow that relate to the Authentication failure and some of the other errors that seem to be similar to the ones on your original post. From the looks of it you computer is trying to authenticate on some kind of server. This is rather odd as you do not need to authenticate on a network if you are doing a Stage 3 install. If the computer will not boot as root in this case the computer may very well be trying to log on as if it where a terminal into a server.

To be more specific on this look at the beginning of the list there, it mentions something along the lines of a dhcp error. Since the DHCP assigns you an IP address it could very well be that your computer can't log on because it doesn't know where to log into. Take note of the following:
Quote:
Mar 17 14:10:01 linux login(pam_unix)[3081]: session opened for user root by LOGIN(uid=0)
Mar 17 14:15:00 linux CRON[3301]: (root) CMD (test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons && /usr/sbin/run-crons )

Notice that it mentions CRON here. I would strongly recommend you take a look at http://www.linuxhelp.net/guides/cron/ for more information. It could very well have a strong influence as to what your problem may be coming from.

If you get the chance try to make sure that whatever this dhcp device is is working properly or is at least connected and give it a good reboot. Other than that I am not sure what else it could be. Anybody else have an idea what is going on?

If anything I hope I was of some help. Just to let you know, I found the link as well as some other information by searching www.google.com/linux. If you go there you may very well find some more information on the different error messages you are getting as well.

Thanks again for your time,
DarkStal
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: