Configuration of kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Configuration of kernel Reply with quote

dear all...i am attempting my first kernel config for the first time...been using genkernel all this while....can anyone point me to any guide or websites that has explaination of the options in menuconfig?..... and also...wats the difference for using * or M when selecting the options?....
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* = the feature is compiled as an actual part of your kernel. Using this, your kernel will be larger but you won't have to worry about possible failing to install a module.

M = the feature is used as a module. Modules can be loaded and unloaded. So like if you choose a module that you aren't sure if it'll work or not (like lets say the module is VERY new or broken) but instead chose that feature to be compiled into your kernel. Your kernel could easily break and fail. But if it's a module you don't have to worry so much. Just unload the module and make sure it doesn't get loaded again. Also makes the kernel slightly smaller as you can bring in these modules on the fly.

And on the different kernel options, when you run "make menuconfig" make sure to check the "help" section given next to the given feature. It'll explain what it gives you and why you would want it or not want it. Also tells you what you should do "if in doubt."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: