View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 7:24 am    Post subject: CORBA error: BAD_OPERATION when nautilus / mrproject starts Reply with quote

When nautilus starts I get the following error:
Code:
Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
 CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0

This error gets shown in 4 separate windows. Nautilus starts (and works fine) anyhow. I get the same error with mrproject but not with gnumeric.

Installed versions: nautilus 2.0.4, mrproject 0.6, gnumeric 1.0.8

Somewhere it was mentioned to look for gconfd that remains running after all gnome applications are exited. And in fact when I kill /usr/bin/gconfd-1 7 manually before starting nautilus I do not get this error.

I use xfce and have my everyday applications started automatically (and do not close them when exiting X).

I found these threads that would not solve my problem:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=12889
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=12874: suggest killing gconfd; removing .gnome[2] (did not help); unmerging openldap (did not help - earlier I had it not installed, now dev-libs/openssl , sys-apps/tcp-wrappers , sys-libs/ncurses depend on (?) openldap as revealed by dependencies.sh (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=8453)).

In 12874 this thread is mentioned https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=6139

A search in Google didn't help neither.

Last edited by ct on Wed Sep 18, 2002 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
damodred
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem you have mentioned, all the other threads related to similar problems didn't help me to solve the problem!

A few weeks ago I installed my system totally new, before this I had a similar configuration and I had not this problem with nautilus, now with the reinstalled system and really similar configuration (enlightenment and nautilus as directory manager, without whole gnome emerged) I get this annoying error sometimes I start nautilus (other gnome tools produce the same error but only AFTER I got the error starting nautilus)! So I think it has something to do with Nautilus and the gconf system.

Hope anyone can help with this problem!

damodred
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: Potential fix? Reply with quote

I had this problem too, but I just went through an "emerge -u world" and it has... gone away?

Also I might suggest "emerge gnome-terminal multi-gnome-terminal" as they are not automatically done with an emerge gnome.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
damodred
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay my problem with nautilus is solved!

I used evolution as mail client, after several reboots I could reproduce the error:
- start of enlightenment
- start of my I-net connection
- evolution
- nautilus
this gave me constant the errors mentioned above

But not starting evolution was the solution! I can start any application in any order, nautilus will never fail! Only when I start Nautilus after evolution I get these silly errors...

emerge gconf or emerge -C evolution + emerge evolution didn't help to solve this, so I emerged sylpheed-claw as e-mail client!
And after a few days I can say that I never got the above mentioned errors again...

It would be interesting what is going wrong with evolution, before my reinstall of the system I didn't get these strange errors with evolution...

bye,
damodred
ct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gone. The error does not show anymore.

I cannot for sure tell what solved the problem, my best guess is that
Code:
emerge control-center
now in version 2.0.1.1 solved the problem.

Anyhow - what I have also emerged recently (might had their influence on the problem?):
nautilus (2.0.7) and many dependecies that came with it
baselayout (1.8.3)
scrollkeeper (0.3.11-r1)
gnome-terminal and multi-gnome-terminal
portage (2.0.37)

The suggestion emerge -u world finally lead to me to this solution. It did not show any useful information though with my previously installed portage. Only after I have upgraded from portage 2.0.13 to portage 2.0.37 an "emerge -p world | grep U" did show me packages that could be updated.

Thank you for your answers.
paul138
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Simple Reply with quote

For me the solution was much more simple than rebuilding. Create a link from /usr/libexec/gconfd-2 in /usr/bin

Fixed. :roll:
kappax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple Reply with quote

paul138 wrote:
For me the solution was much more simple than rebuilding. Create a link from /usr/libexec/gconfd-2 in /usr/bin

Fixed. :roll:

wow that worked and was ez!!!

THANKS
paul138
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Simple Reply with quote

kappax wrote:

THANKS

NP. It's very interesting though, if you make a new user and use gnome as thier wm you can run gnome without this link.

I think this one is bugzilla-bound.
Off to the bug base... :D
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Simple++ Reply with quote

Didn' t work for me, but this works

Code:

/usr/bin/gconfigtool-2 --spawn

it creates an instance of the gconfd-2. If you run it twice, it won' t create one more daemon.

paul138 wrote:
kappax wrote:

THANKS

NP. It's very interesting though, if you make a new user and use gnome as thier wm you can run gnome without this link.

I think this one is bugzilla-bound.
Off to the bug base... :D
paul138
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Filed Reply with quote

The resolution via the bug report I filed was to exit X all together and run oaf-slay, edit the .xinitrc and change window managers.

I was because (in my case) I was running fluxbox and using Galeon (Gnome 1.x) which started gconfd-1. Then Gnome 2x apps would crash because they were using gconfd-1 instead of gconfd2.
joycea
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can continue using fluxbox, just start the gconfd-2 daemon before doing anything else (ie. in your xinitrc)
paul138
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:03 pm    Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote

Which would be fine except that gconfd will die if not used for a period of time. :wink:
joycea
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... after starting gconfd-2 before evolution my comp has run fine all day with no error boxes. Before that I would get an error whenever I started evolution. After investigating though ps lists the gconf I started awhile ago as a zombie process. I don't know what's happened, maybe it's just my lucky day so far.

Do you think running gconfd-2 just before I run nautilus each time might be a more permanent solution?
crimson
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is very similar, if I run gnome-terminal before I run galeon, I'm ok. But if I run galeon before running gnome-terminal "CORBA ERROR, 1.0 blabla".

So what is a good fix for this? I don't want to have to kill gconfd-1 everytime I want to run a terminal, or I don't want to have to make sure I run terminal first everytime I want to use Galeon.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: