get acces to disk from fgentoo and linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birnenpfluecker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: get acces to disk from fgentoo and linux Reply with quote

Hi, I want to put my mp3's on a disc, which can be accesed by linux and win. I think I have to chose fat32 as filesystem, cause it is the only one which has linux and windows write support.
What have I to do to get fat write support, or is that automatic?? Is there any other filesystem I could choose?
Thx for ideas and help
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you want to fix your subject ;)
For FAT support you have to build it in your kernel (or as module), same with any other filesystem (until you get to stuff like lufs or avfs). If convienience is your highest priority there is currently no alternative to FAT (except for a samba server on a second box but I guess that's not an option here). There are tools for windows to access a ext2 filesystem, but AFAIK they don't integrate into windows.
YopWongSapn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the 2.6 kernel now supports writing to NTFS partitions, although I'm not sure how stable it is.
twisted_steel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have support for File Systems -> DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems -> DOS FAT fs support and VFAT (Windows-95) fs support in your kernel you can read and write to a fat32 drive.

Then you just need a line in /etc/fstab so all users can write to it (I assume you want this kind of functionality).

Code:
/dev/hdb1               /mnt/music      vfat            users,uid=1000,gid=100 0 0

This will allow a user with a group id of 100 and a user id of 1000 to write to the partition located at /dev/hdb1 (second drive, first partition) and mounted at /mnt/music.
Birnenpfluecker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for your answers, as for the ntfs support, have tried it, but does not work, but now I will go for. Doesn't need the best filesystem, only one for both.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: