[ALSA] No Sound after 2.6 upgrade.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lasseo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: [ALSA] No Sound after 2.6 upgrade. Reply with quote

I have recently upgrade to 2.6.4 kernel ( vanilla ) from 2.4.22. Everything works fine except for audio. There is no sound. (nforce2, intel8x0 driver)

I tried a lot of kernel settings with no luck.

I tried to follow the Alsa HowTo but it fails when compiling:
env ALSA_CARDS='emu10k1' emerge \>=media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.2c

Instead I use the kernel ALSA drivers. But there is no sound.
I tried to install version 1.0.3 of alsa-libs and alsa-utils... Still no sound.
Tested all setting within the mixer -> still no sound.

cat ***.wav > /dev/dsp -> no sound.

Playing from KDE -> no sound, no error msg.

Read a bunch of threads within this discussion group but no luck? ( It seams to be a big problem to get sound working within 2.6)

Anybody that has a clue about what the next step is?

BTW. Booting up the 2.6.4 kernel says it missing /sys library... What is that? Something I must create to get the kernel to run correctly? Have I done the configuration of the kernel wrong?

Cheers.
Cojack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, there's a bunch of issues here! :wink:

First things first, let's get the sound card out of the way:

Quote:

I tried to follow the Alsa HowTo but it fails when compiling:
env ALSA_CARDS='emu10k1' emerge \>=media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.2c

It looks like you've got an environment variable that's telling your ALSA ebuild to only build for a emu10k1 chip, i.e. a SoundBlaster Live card, which you said you don't have (I8x0, right?). You may want to get rid of that env variable, if it's getting set in your .bashrc or something. Not that it matters much, because...

Quote:

I have recently upgrade to 2.6.4 kernel ( vanilla ) ...

In the 2.6 kernel series, ALSA is built into the kernel and thus does not need to (cannot, in fact) be built with the old ALSA ebuilds. The correct ALSA settings just need to be turned on in your kernel config and you're all set. I would suggest doing an emerge -C on those old ALSA ebuilds before recompiling your kernel with the ALSA stuff turned on.

All of this, however, still will not get you there 100%, as the I8x0 sound chip is very troublesome to set up properly (I still haven't gotten it to work exactly how I want all of the time :lol: ). Look around through the forum (search for I8x0 and ALSA) and you'll find an abundance of I8x0-related threads, filled with much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Now onto the next issue:

Quote:

BTW. Booting up the 2.6.4 kernel says it missing /sys library... What is that? Something I must create to get the kernel to run correctly? Have I done the configuration of the kernel wrong?

As root, make a new empty directory /sys and then the next time you boot you shouldn't see that error any more. Your system is trying to mount the current system information to /sys and the directory doesn't exist. At least, that's probably what it is; if not, well... good luck! :twisted:
lasseo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It looks like you've got an environment variable that's telling your ALSA ebuild to only build for a emu10k1 chip, i.e. a SoundBlaster Live card, which you said you don't have (I8x0, right?). You may want to get rid of that env variable, if it's getting set in your .bashrc or something. Not that it matters much, because...

sorry for that one. Ofcourse I used the correct parameter for the chip. I.e. intel8x0. I was in a hurry when I wrote this so I did only a copy-paste from the howto.

Okey I will try to remove all ALSA packages and recompile my kernel.

Quote:
All of this, however, still will not get you there 100%, as the I8x0 sound chip is very troublesome to set up properly (I still haven't gotten it to work exactly how I want all of the time ).

I got it to work under 2.4 without any problem. Why should there be a difference in 2.6? Or do you think of other problems?

cheers
Cojack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue I keep bumping up against is that the I8x0 doesn't support more than one channel of audio in hardware, necessitating some kind of software mixing. I've not had a lot of success with dmix, and I got arts set up but it was gobbling a huge amount of cpu time. Plus, when I boot into windows, the ports on the sound card occasionally get swapped around.

If you've got these problems licked, please let me know! :wink:
lasseo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that yoy tried to help me earlier.

I have tried almost everything that I have found on the forum. But with no success.
Build alsa in the kernel, as modules and so on.... Followed a lot of howto but there was still no sound.

Disabled APIC in Bios which lead into that soundcard got irq 5 instead 21 but no sound there either.

Tonight I gave up and tried kernel 2.6.5-rc2. Sound worked directly after unmuting the channels!!!!.... Maybe there is some problem with the 2.6.4 kernel or I must have made a horrible mistake when I configurated that kernel. However I will try the 2.6.5 kernel and see how it works.

Havent notice any other strange problem with this sound card... If I get in touch with the other problem you described ( and find a solution ) I will surly post that in this forum.

Regards.
sobers_2002
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also have nforce2 chip, just going by the documentation on the

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Nvidia&card=nForce&chip=NM2360&module=intel8x0

link should give u ur basic thing and file changes info. then you can go here

http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/ALSA.html

this one has a written script but its pretty clear on what more you have to do than what u have dont 4 2 packages.

alsactl -f /etc/asound.state store

after thiis sound starts automatically everytime u boot (to the last value)

i hope this was of help

Saurabh
[/url]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: