View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: How do Gnome and Rhythmbox communicate? Reply with quote

Hi there!
I noticed that Gnome 2.6 communicates with Rhythmbox when I press my multimedia buttons on the keyboard. In KDE, this would obviously be done with DCOP, but how does Gnome do this?

It's because I want to use 'hotkeys' (the utility), but it hijacks a few of the buttons that are normally used by Gnome. So if I could move completely to hotkeys... But I need a way to tell Rhythmbox to play the next song.

- Simon
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's done with Bonobo. I guess the best way to control Rhythmbox would be to use Python to script the Rhythmbox Bonobo component.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but Rhythmbox can accept command line controls. So if you have it open, and you run the command
Code:
rhythmbox --next
it will skip to the next song. I think all the possible commands are given under --help.

In the Gnome database thingy (I cant remember the name now - it is the gnome equivalent of the windows registry), you can set any key or key combo to run any arbitrary command. So i have F12 set to go to the next song.
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but Rhythmbox can accept command line controls. So if you have it open, and you run the command
Code:
rhythmbox --next
it will skip to the next song. I think all the possible commands are given under --help.

This doesn't work. It creates a new instance of Rhythmbox (with some gsignal warnings at the terminal).

Anyways, I'll look into that with gconf-editor - any hints as to where the heck in that mess I'm supposed to find these settings?

- Simon
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cossins wrote:
richk449 wrote:
Code:
rhythmbox --next

This doesn't work. It creates a new instance of Rhythmbox (with some gsignal warnings at the terminal).

Thats strange - it works for me. On older versions of rhythmbox, it would maximize the currently running version of rhythmbox and move it to the current desktop, but in the new version (0.6.1), it works perfectly.

Cossins wrote:

Anyways, I'll look into that with gconf-editor - any hints as to where the heck in that mess I'm supposed to find these settings?

- Simon

If the --next thing doesnt work for you, the gconf-editor (thanks for the name) will not help any. That just allows you to run arbitrary commands with arbitrary keys. I also can't remember where it is hidden at - I have a vague recollection it was under metacity somehow, but that might be wrong. I would look, but I don't run Gnome at work, only at home.
Cossins
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
If the --next thing doesnt work for you, the gconf-editor (thanks for the name) will not help any. That just allows you to run arbitrary commands with arbitrary keys. I also can't remember where it is hidden at - I have a vague recollection it was under metacity somehow, but that might be wrong. I would look, but I don't run Gnome at work, only at home.

I found it and got it working. I just configure the previous/next track buttons in the Gnome control panel, and the commands with gconf-editor. And you're right, it's under metacity.

- Simon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: