reinstall gentoo to solve problem? like windows
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: reinstall gentoo to solve problem? like windows Reply with quote

hi

I have big problem to get CUPS working, It was working but after emerge sync and emerge system world it did stop working, I am not able to get it work again. But I did install gentoo on my laptop from liveCD and did take portage tree from that box and CUPS is working very well on laptop, I can request CUPS printers on laptop from network.

now the problem :-)
CUPS is runnig on gentoo box, when I am browsing localhost:631 I am geting the main page, but when I did lick printers I am geting empty white page :-(

I did write topic yesterday, this is the link : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=152250

I don't know how to solve this? what to check? so any tip will help OR I will reinstall gentoo like windows
_Nomad_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried just reemerging cups? and then doing a etc-update? that should revert cups to it's original state... you might need to uninstall and then emerge... but there shouldn't be any problems...
janik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I did try to unmerge and after that I did delete everything from /etc/cups and emerge cups again, this is not helping, still same :-(
_Nomad_
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you've got KDE you can try to add a printer via KDE's add printer guide... other then that. I don't know... sorry :oops:
janik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using gnome and there is a gnome-cups-manager where you can add printer, so I did add printer but I am not albe to print test page.

I think that problem is somewhere outside of cups but I don't know what can be wrong, authentificaion? rights? maybe I am in wrong user group?
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a parallel printer do:
Code:

ls -l /dev/lp0

If that is not a link pointing to /dev/printers/0, do:
Code:

modprobe -r lp
modprobe lp

Then check it again. When the link shows up you're good to go.
janik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I have USB printer and I did check that stuff :-) after lsmod I did see usb modules in use and there was a device in /dev/usb/ and hotplug is working well

I did try to add printer with gnome-cups-manager and I was succesfull, but after print test page I have a error in cups errror_log that I am missing ESP ghostscript so I did emerge hpijs as usualy. but after that there was a error that it;s missing something like gs_init.ps but if was on disk in /usr/share..... I did check rights, but could not get it wok, still not response from localhot:631 only the main page.

I did try solve that problem from morning but after lunch I was totaly bord and nervouse so I copy all gentoo from another box.

thanks for replaying
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: