Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
TIWRLTD: 2 - Making Access to the CD Driver Easier?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vbenares
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: TIWRLTD: 2 - Making Access to the CD Driver Easier? Reply with quote

Things I would really like to do part 2

As things stand, if I boot the computer with a CD in the drive, no CD icon appears on the gnome desktop. If I boot the computer without a CD in the drive, I usually - but not always - get the icon. If there is no icon, gnome won't mount the drive. It gives a message something like: cannot mount none it is already mounted.

Here is the relevant line from my /etc/fstab

Code:
none    /mnt/cdrom       supermount      fs=auto,dev=/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 0 0
#below is the original line; above is line added to use supermount
#/dev/cdroms/cdrom0    /mnt/cdrom        auto           noauto,user            $         

Any ideas?
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's the point of supermount - it *is* always mounted.
You might do well to look into patches for gnome with supermount - I remember that the Mandrake Gnome is heavily patched for such things.
Does Ctrl+R (_Refresh) work to get Gnome to recheck the CD drive?

(Bring on Project Utopia... /me wants)
vbenares
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is that, if I boot the computer with a CD in the drive, I cannot mount or in any way that I know about, access the disk. And checking to see whether there's a CD in the drive before I power up is pretty near impossible. Refresh doesn't seem to do a thing.
vbenares
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . and if I do boot without a disk, get the icon, insert a data disk, read a file and remove the disk, every time I browse using Nautilus I get a delay while the machine checks the (empty) CD drive. The only way I know to stop this is to reboot.
fusibou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vbenares wrote:
. . . and if I do boot without a disk, get the icon, insert a data disk, read a file and remove the disk, every time I browse using Nautilus I get a delay while the machine checks the (empty) CD drive. The only way I know to stop this is to reboot.

So you have your CD in your /etc/fstab file? (in Gnome 2.4 you have to exit and restart gnome after making changes to fstab in order to access the devices in the right-click menu on the desktop)
And you right-click on the desktop and mount the CD when you want to read it and unmount it before ejecting it?

Should be fine.

Anyhow, Gnome 2.6 gets even easier. There's a computer icon on the desktop and when you open it, all your fstab devices are there and double-clicking mounts them and opens up a nautilus window for the device.
vbenares
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the relevant part of my fstab is posted above. Perhaps I should just ditch the supermount?

I started using supermount in an effort to get the "cd icon" that everyone insisted was on my desktop to actually appear on the desktop. Without the supermount, the cd drive was unmountable from the desktop.

But perhaps I should just wait for the new gnome before trying to get this to work again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: