Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Will I be able to use Gentoo? A frustrated Linux newb cries!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
furfurdemon666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Will I be able to use Gentoo? A frustrated Linux newb cries! Reply with quote

Greetings. I throw my hands in the air and let the tears fly where they may. A frustrated Linux newb cries out for help....

While I've tried several Linux distros, lately I've been fooling around with Debian based distros and have loved using apt-get, until I break KDE by installing/updating with apt-get. I just formatted my Knoppix hd install, and most recently my Lindows install, because with Knoppix I couldn't get my winmodem configured with the drivers suggested, and with Lindows, while everything was detected with the default install (even my Winmodem, I was up on the net in a few minutes with no hassles!), I broke KDE with the apt-get installing of TVTime. Of course many use Lindows with CNR, not apt-get, but I disagree with CNR and used apt-get anyway, and I was greeted with KDE errors and failure to load when I restarted KDE.

I had tried Gentoo in the past but had a few problems with a stage 3 install, and I haven't done any stage 1 or 2 installs, I'm just not up to it. :) I could've stuck with Lindows, since it worked well with my Lucent Winmodem, but I found Lindows to be very SLOW in loading programs compared with Knoppix, Mandrake, Red Hat, Peanut, and other distros I've tried. And again I loved to install packages with apt-get and update them so I can't use Lindows because of many factors.

So here I am trying to install Gentoo 1.4 [1] again from the 2 CDs with a stage 3 install using genkernel and gentoo-sources. This time, however, it wants to lockup on reboot with a kernel panic, and a bunch of USB related messages which I believe has to be my USB keyboard. Before I had a USB keyboard the initial boot following install worked fine, but I don't know how to resolve this issue now.

Here are the reasons why I didn't stick with Gentoo 1.4 the last time I tried:

(A) I couldn't get my Lucent Winmodem [2] installed offline. I can't go online unless my Winmodem drivers are setup for the distro. Which means I also....

(B) Can't install my SBLive! drivers because when I try to emerge emu10k1 it wants additional files from the web which I cannot retrieve without the Winmodem drivers installed and working correctly.

(C) And now this USB Keyboard lockup issue

I'd really like to get Gentoo 1.4 installed and stick with that. If there's any step-by-step guides that can help me resolve these issues or someone who can help, I'd really appreciate it. Until then, I'm stuck using a friend's system to access the net on their W1nd0ws system, and my box is sitting idle as I refuse to install W1nd0ws on it ever again. I am determined to get Gentoo 1.4 up and running. I don't want to do the distro hop dance any longer. Please, if anyone can help, I would appreciate it so very much.

Thank you for reading.

[1] Yes, I'm trying to install Gentoo 1.4 again, I have 56k and no access to a high speed connection so I can't get an entire newer version and I don't have the $ to buy a new version right now.

[2] Yes, I'm using a Lucent Winmodem. I don't have the $ to buy a hardware modem right now, and I know no one who has one to give me/trade me for one. So I'm stuck with the Winmodem.
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I still held the naive believe that I could get my ESS Technology bloody winmodem to work, i found this site: http://linmodems.org. They mention Lucent quite often, so maybe there is some info for you there...
furfurdemon666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
When I still held the naive believe that I could get my ESS Technology bloody winmodem to work, i found this site: http://linmodems.org. They mention Lucent quite often, so maybe there is some info for you there...

Hi Voltago, thank you for your quick reply, I appreciate it. When I used Knoppix I tried that linmodems.org site you mentioned, but even after following the instructions to compile under Knoppix, and even trying .deb packages, it still didn't want to work. It wanted to give some type of version mismatch errors and some warning about tainting the kernel. Whatever I tried, even cloudy help from the Knoppix forums, nothing worked. With Gentoo, I don't even know where I'd begin with trying to get those drivers working. My Winmodem, from what I read on several sites on Linmodems, seems to be one that is most easily supported. Hell, the Lindows distro found it on default install so they must've done something right there. I believe a long time ago, when I didn't have a USB Keyboard and I could get KDE up in Gentoo, I did try to get the winmodem drivers working but failed.

But for now I have to get past the USB Keyboard kernel panic lockup problem before I can even get to attempting to get my Lucent Winmodem working, which I haven't the slightest idea how to do.

Edit: At http://www.heby.de/ltmodem they say: "LTModem is part of the gentoo package system, so you can just run "emerge ltmodem". This will download the source, configure,compile,and install the module." but I cannot do this if I cannot get online! :(
furfurdemon666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Well I guess I'll just try to get the newest version of Gentoo and install that.. and see how it goes.

So I guess everyone can disregard my previous questions in this thread...

I suppose all that's left for me to ask is:

1) Is there Lucent Winmodem support by default in the new version of Gentoo?

1a) I'll be doing a stage 3 install + grp with 2004.0 and I'm wondering if the doc files for a stage 3 install have changed much since 1.4?

2) Is the USB Keyboard detection error resolved in the new version of Gentoo?

3) Is the SBLive! card auto-detected in the new version of Gentoo? Or will I have to access the net with a Gentoo installation to get the SBLive! working?

4) Are USB flash keychain drives (jumpdrives for example) supported by default in the new version of Gentoo?

Thanks for reading. :)
Moled
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

furfurdemon666 wrote:
Update: Well I guess I'll just try to get the newest version of Gentoo and install that.. and see how it goes.

So I guess everyone can disregard my previous questions in this thread...

I suppose all that's left for me to ask is:

1) Is there Lucent Winmodem support by default in the new version of Gentoo?

1a) I'll be doing a stage 3 install + grp with 2004.0 and I'm wondering if the doc files for a stage 3 install have changed much since 1.4?

2) Is the USB Keyboard detection error resolved in the new version of Gentoo?

3) Is the SBLive! card auto-detected in the new version of Gentoo? Or will I have to access the net with a Gentoo installation to get the SBLive! working?

4) Are USB flash keychain drives (jumpdrives for example) supported by default in the new version of Gentoo?

Thanks for reading. :)

support is the same as any linux distro, they all will use pretty much the same kernel

the sblive is supported by alsa in the 2.6 kernel, just select the appropriate modues
see: http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php3?vendor=vendor-Creative_Labs#matrix
for more info, tho it may overcomplicate things

all it takes is:
select the emu10k1 module in the kernel
emerge alsa-lib and alsa-utils
edit /etc/modules.d/alsa to have the correct card, and uncomment the oss stuff
run modules update and rc-update add alsasound default

with the usb sticks, I have one and it works fine, just put usb mass storage into your kernel, and having an automounter works wonders :]

i've never used a usb keyboard or mouse, they are evil things in general

its somewhat suicidal to be using gentoo with a normal modem due to the vast ammount you will be downloading

if you are going to, I would just save up and buy a proper external modem, it will save you lots of hassle

then again that modem could work fine, I have no idea tbh
furfurdemon666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Moled, thank you for your quick and helpful reply. :) My comments follow:

Moled wrote:

the sblive is supported by alsa in the 2.6 kernel, just select the appropriate modues

Awesome, thanks. :) Edit: but would this work following a stage 3 install? :)

Quote:
with the usb sticks, I have one and it works fine, just put usb mass storage into your kernel, and having an automounter works wonders :]

Great, though could this be done following a stage 3 install? :-)

Quote:
i've never used a usb keyboard or mouse, they are evil things in general

Heh. Okay, changing to an older keyboard is no big deal, I can do that if need be.

Quote:
its somewhat suicidal to be using gentoo with a normal modem due to the vast ammount you will be downloading

True, which is something a few other Gentoo gurus have told me. For now though, I guess it'll have to do. :)

Quote:
if you are going to, I would just save up and buy a proper external modem, it will save you lots of hassle

I appeciate the advice. :) I'll try to do that. Thanks again for your wonderful help and quick reply!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: