Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How well does Gentoo manage program settings?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gntu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: How well does Gentoo manage program settings? Reply with quote

I'm curious to what extent do ebuild scripts try to maintain a consistent policy regarding where settings for programs/packages are stored and how the config files are named?

How does the package management system deal with user-defined settings when packages are updated/removed?

Can/do ebuild scripts try to choose in some instances reasonable defaults for some settings?

I'm just curious how well Gentoo manages on this front as I make the transition from Debian.
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Settings and config files are usually up to the programs to create and maintain themselves, not the package management system. Generally speaking, Gentoo keeps programs and their source the way the author intended them to be. Like KDE for example, it would be as if you installed the package you download directly from KDE's website, as the authors intended it and not custom menus and what not like in major distros (RedHat, Mandrake, SuSE).

For a while now, Portage has a behavior where if it finds an existing config file, it won't overwrite the existing one and just rename the new one with 0001 appended to it. The user may run "etc-update" and it's a handy tool to determine what config files need to be examined, does a line by line comparison and you can choose what action to take (keep the existing config, overwrite the old with the new, or go thru it line by line and hand pick the changes).
gntu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read about the "config protection" option, which appears to be a step in the right direction.

On the other hand I hadn't run across the etc-update script, so thanks for the heads-up.

All in all, gentoo's "config file management" appears to be less sophisticated than Debian's, which is not necessarily a bad thing, since I never cared much for debconf. I kind of like the idea of keeping a package as close as possible to the way the developers intended/released it.
Lycander
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a terminal do "emerge --help config" and it'll pring out the help text with more details of what I described above and it even mentions the etc-update thingy. Whenever you emerge something that tries to update config files, portage will print a warning after emerging and inform you that some config files need to be updated and it tells you to "emerge --help config" to learn more.
gntu wrote:
I kind of like the idea of keeping a package as close as possible to the way the developers

So your next adventure will be LSF? ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: